Other OT-Related Information Non-traditional student's musing on OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultra_Runner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I wanted to say long time lurker here on the OT board, first time poster. I just got into Occupational Therapy Master's school at Cox College(new OT program) and begin this fall. I'm incredibly excited.

Ok, with that said. I want you all to know that you can do anything you set your minds too. I'm 31 years old, my undergraduate work years ago was with computers. I began working in the computer field and thought it'd be everything I thought it'd be.... I was so wrong. After years in jobs I hated I decided to do something else. I always knew I wanted to do something in the medical field but didn't really know what it was. My grades weren't good enough for medical school nor did I really want to devote that much time that it demanded and there is something to OT that is more suited to what I want in a patient care career. I wanted to make a difference in people's lives and was just confused and stuck in a dead end job.
I was able to work as a psych tech after going back to school part-time and taking some psych and science courses. I ended up working there for 3 years making a lot LESS money than I was use to making. Psych wasn't for me, there was a lot of burnout amongst the staff and I didn't want to end up hating this job as well so it was time to leave.
After a battle with depression and uncertainty in my life I discovered a local college, 2 of them actually, that were in talks of beginning an OT program. I was immediately interested and honestly, at that point didn't know fully what OT was. I began reading and learning and ultimately ended up shadowing a 2-OT pediatric clinic and fell absolutely in love with the work they were doing. I had finally found what filled that emptiness and found something I woke up every morning wanting to go do.
Longer story slightly shorter.... After another 6 months of shadowing several inpatient and outpatient facilities I felt even stronger about OT and everything was clicking into place. I finished my prereq's and volunteering and it was time to apply.
I got the call and I made it in! I doubted everything before that.... was the interview good enough? Why would they waste their time on a non-traditional student like me? Is my grades good enough?

I want to see everyone succeed on what they feel called to do and I say all of this to hopefully help some of you out who are on the fence or are unsure about this whole process.

Feel free to ask any questions you like! Thank you for "listening"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for sharing your story, @Ultra_Runner . I relate to it in so many ways. Three years in marketing and PR was enough to realize how wrong it was for me.

Glad we both found our way. Best of luck to you! (Not that you need it, because you're obviously a hard worker.)

Hello everyone,
I wanted to say long time lurker here on the OT board, first time poster. I just got into Occupational Therapy Master's school at Cox College(new OT program) and begin this fall. I'm incredibly excited.

Ok, with that said. I want you all to know that you can do anything you set your minds too. I'm 31 years old, my undergraduate work years ago was with computers. I began working in the computer field and thought it'd be everything I thought it'd be.... I was so wrong. After years in jobs I hated I decided to do something else. I always knew I wanted to do something in the medical field but didn't really know what it was. My grades weren't good enough for medical school nor did I really want to devote that much time that it demanded and there is something to OT that is more suited to what I want in a patient care career. I wanted to make a difference in people's lives and was just confused and stuck in a dead end job.
I was able to work as a psych tech after going back to school part-time and taking some psych and science courses. I ended up working there for 3 years making a lot LESS money than I was use to making. Psych wasn't for me, there was a lot of burnout amongst the staff and I didn't want to end up hating this job as well so it was time to leave.
After a battle with depression and uncertainty in my life I discovered a local college, 2 of them actually, that were in talks of beginning an OT program. I was immediately interested and honestly, at that point didn't know fully what OT was. I began reading and learning and ultimately ended up shadowing a 2-OT pediatric clinic and fell absolutely in love with the work they were doing. I had finally found what filled that emptiness and found something I woke up every morning wanting to go do.
Longer story slightly shorter.... After another 6 months of shadowing several inpatient and outpatient facilities I felt even stronger about OT and everything was clicking into place. I finished my prereq's and volunteering and it was time to apply.
I got the call and I made it in! I doubted everything before that.... was the interview good enough? Why would they waste their time on a non-traditional student like me? Is my grades good enough?

I want to see everyone succeed on what they feel called to do and I say all of this to hopefully help some of you out who are on the fence or are unsure about this whole process.

Feel free to ask any questions you like! Thank you for "listening"

Hello,
Your story was very inspiring ! I am was also admitted to Cox College and considering accepting their offer. I am a NJ Native and the director graduated from the school I am currently getting my undergraduate at. Hope to we could be potential classmates! Its been tough route for me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Just saw the replies to this. Did you accept the offer? I'm really excited about it.. new program, new challenges. I can't wait!

Thank you Hk_OT for the kind words! Glad we finally are on the path of what we want to do!

I know this thread is pretty old, but I stumbled across it looking at threads. I applied to Cox this year and I have some questions. Their deadline was March 10th. I went to their open house and they said that they would start contacting people after the deadline. I know it's only the 16th, but I'm starting to get nervous. Did they call to invite you for an interview, or email? Also, what was the interview like? They told us at the open house that they wanted to get to know our personalities.