Non-Traditional...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechTurnedMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what my chances will be to get into and MD or MD/PhD program. It has been 6 years since I have graduated from college with a B.Sc in Biochemistry. In those 6 years I have been working as a research technician at a major university (top 20). I have published 3 papers: 1 in Nature, 1 in Science, and a first author paper in a more specialized journal. I have had 2 posters, and will likely have 1 more first author paper before the application cycle begins.

My undergrad GPA isn't the best, 3.3.

My LORs will be from PIs that I have worked for, my current PI holds a high ranking position at my university in addition to being a MD/Phd.

I am scheduled to take the MCAT in May, though I'm a bit worried about how well I will do to make up for my lacking GPA. How quickly study habits die when being out of school for 6 years!

I am a white female from a disadvantaged background (not sure that matters since I'm non-traditional?)

Any advice/suggestions to make my application stronger would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

The big question is the MCAT. Your gpa is low, but if you wreck the MCAT, and with your research. It's recoverable. Channel all of your energy into studying the MCAT.

Chances at MD or MD/PhD are ZERO. Having a Nature or Science paper is great, but that will get you into a good PhD program. MD/PhD programs usually aim for attracting the 3.9 types. The prestige of your LOR writers means nothing for medical schools.

Your GPA is competitive for DO programs.

White/female/disadvantaged might count for schools that have a high emphasis on recruiting students who will serve in underpriviledged areas, like SIU for Southern Illinois. Other than that, your staus will also not help you. More women are going into medicine than men these days.

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what my chances will be to get into and MD or MD/PhD program. It has been 6 years since I have graduated from college with a B.Sc in Biochemistry. In those 6 years I have been working as a research technician at a major university (top 20). I have published 3 papers: 1 in Nature, 1 in Science, and a first author paper in a more specialized journal. I have had 2 posters, and will likely have 1 more first author paper before the application cycle begins.

My undergrad GPA isn't the best, 3.3.

My LORs will be from PIs that I have worked for, my current PI holds a high ranking position at my university in addition to being a MD/Phd.

I am scheduled to take the MCAT in May, though I'm a bit worried about how well I will do to make up for my lacking GPA. How quickly study habits die when being out of school for 6 years!

I am a white female from a disadvantaged background (not sure that matters since I'm non-traditional?)

Any advice/suggestions to make my application stronger would be greatly appreciated :)