Non traditionals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalbites

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been practicing dentistry for a year and a half now. Recently I have been thinking about doing a hospital GPR to increase my ability to see more complicated cases such as more molar Endo, etc. I know that most people go into GPR right after dental school, do you all think it's worth it to do this after practicing? Anyone pursue this path after working as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been practicing dentistry for a year and a half now. Recently I have been thinking about doing a hospital GPR to increase my ability to see more complicated cases such as more molar Endo, etc. I know that most people go into GPR right after dental school, do you all think it's worth it to do this after practicing? Anyone pursue this path after working as well?
Yes, I did. I went into the military right after school, spent a few years and then went into a residency more than 3 years later. It doesn't matter when you do a residency. It's based on your own needs and what you want out of your career. I desired to really become proficient in Oral Surgery, Removable Prosthodontics and Restorative. I definitely became more proficient during my residency, and I'm so glad I did it. It sparked my passion to work in community health and public health clinics, and I was instantly hired for more jobs once I was able to list it on my resume. I've practiced since 1998, and I'm actually thinking of doing a fellowship at this time as I am pursuing teaching. There's no special order for dentistry after you get your degree and pass your boards. Go for it, and I encourage you to do so even after a year. One good thing is that you have a better understanding of what you're doing because you have practiced and you know more than you did when you graduated fresh out of dental school.

Why not just do the extra year and be an endodontist?

And no, it would be fine for you to do a GPR whether you are out of school or have been working several years. As long as you don't mind the lower income.

What about doing a bunch of CE instead? Seems like a better value than going back to a year of low pay for GPR.