Nontrad, can I pull it off this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germanicus89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontrad, 24 years old, took 2 years for science prereqs+ some graduate course work+some additional bio (because learning is fun). I will be done at the end of May.

3.6 cGPA
3.75 sGPA

60 hrs nonclinical volunteering
30 hrs clinical volunteering

2 years working full time in a neuro lab

Obviously I need and would like to do more clinical volunteering and shadowing (specifically at a hospice and at a neurology clinic, respectively) and would like to do more nonclinical as well. It's just difficult because I have to work on the weekend. I've contemplated quitting my job to make it work. Would it be unwise to try to fit it in before June while working full time and taking classes full time and studying for MCAT? I feel that the answer is probably yes, but I also don't want to look weak and take another year just to volunteer and study for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Nontrad, 24 years old, took 2 years for science prereqs+ some graduate course work+some additional bio (because learning is fun). I will be done at the end of May.

3.6 cGPA
3.75 sGPA

60 hrs nonclinical volunteering
30 hrs clinical volunteering

2 years working full time in a neuro lab

Obviously I need and would like to do more clinical volunteering and shadowing (specifically at a hospice and at a neurology clinic, respectively) and would like to do more nonclinical as well. It's just difficult because I have to work on the weekend. I've contemplated quitting my job to make it work. Would it be unwise to try to fit it in before June while working full time and taking classes full time and studying for MCAT? I feel that the answer is probably yes, but I also don't want to look weak and take another year just to volunteer and study for the MCAT.
You are already way overloading yourself. If you try to get everything done as well as apply this summer, you will risk your GPA and MCAT score being mediocre, as well as a late application. And, three months of additional clinical experience at the last minute equates to a probable reapplication cycle next year. Do it once and do it right.

But you knew that.

Ace your MCAT. Don't try to overload yourself when you're studying for that test.

Don't worry about nonclinical volunteering as much as clinical. Take your MCAT, set up more clinical volunteering/shadowing that will start after your MCAT and, if possible, state in your application that you will beginning a volunteer position at a certain date. You'll have plenty of time to update schools on volunteering after your primary is submitted as well (secondary apps, update letters, interviews).

But seriously, focus on that MCAT first. I had about as much volunteering done by the time I applied as you and was fine. I just kept volunteering throughout the application year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.