Nontrad Canadian Applicant with cGPA of 3.4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This belongs in the WAMC forum.

I have been lurking around for a while but haven't really found the exact answers to a few questions I had so far in terms of my chances of getting into US MD or DO schools as a nontrad Canadian applicant.

Don't have much experience with Canadian applicants, but I'll give it a shot (all in regard to US MD, not DO).

-Currently completing (senior year) Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree... I am fast-tracking so it will be total 3.5 years of full-time course load. Do all US MD&DO schools require a full-time course load every year? (30 credits or 5 courses per semester?). Because I actually had 4 quaters/year instead of semesters so I don't know how exactly this is going to work out.

They won't care. But why do you want to go into medicine after you got a degree in nursing? They are far from the same thing.

-I am anticipating that I will be graduating with cGPA of approx. 3.4-3.5 (don't have sGPA)

Kinda low, but not auto-screen worthy. 3.5+ is preferred, 3.7 is more around matriculation averages for US MD. Probably more stringent for CA applicants.

-Clinical experience 4-5000 hrs (work & practicum for school) in Medical-Surgical, Oncology/Palliative, Labor&Delivery, and Cardiology units and also in long-term care and supportive living facilities (as a nurse).
-Started volunteering at a long-term care facility (love seniors), and lots of clinical experience in community setting (public health, homecare, etc)
-Some volunteer work with Canadian Cancer Society. I know I need to work on my ECs... esp. volunteer component.

etc, etc.

Your clinical work looks exceptional, and lacking a bit in volunteering is going to be okay. Wouldn't hurt to get more, though.

I know this can be a dumb question, but do schools ask you to send a proof of your volunteer work? (like a letter) how does this work?

No, it's submitted in good faith. They ask for contact information but they do not [normally] check.

-I am currently working on my LOR... but how would med schools view LORs from Nursing instructors? Will it really matter?

It could work just fine, again highlights the fact you were interested in nursing, not medicine. But if they can speak to your ability and character with strength as a physician it'd still be worth it, in my opinion.

-I am writing my MCAT this summer... as I have zero background in science... I am studying everything from scratch on my own... I am actually thinking of Kaplan prep course because I have been struggling with self-motivation, etc.

You're going to want to kill this test, especially as a CA applicant to US MD schools with a sub-par GPA. Make sure you know how well you're going to score and that you're more than adequately prepared to make an strong effort. If you must seek additional help I'd suggest you do so.

I know my cGPA is not fantastic at all and a lot of schools actually require science courses, correct?

You must meet the prerequisites for the MD schools you apply to. They generally include the equivalent of 2 sems intro bio, 2 sems intro chem, 2 sems orgo, and 2 sems intro physics.

My tentative plan #2 is to do a second UG in Science here in Canada and apply... or apply for SMP programs that don't have requirements for science courses (like Temple's BCMS - Basic Core in Medical Sciences Program) next year (Temple does not accept Canadians; I know). I don't even know if any other SMPs offer programs like Temple's BCMS and accept Canadians? I know for sure that I want to pursue Medicine but doing a second UG is just way too much in my situation right now (time-wise especially).

You'll have to look into the programs you're interested in yourself. It wouldn't hurt to find a number and give them a call if it's not readily available on their website.

Sorry for bombarding you with too much details and questions here if you are still reading but my another question is: because I am in Nursing, I have tons of clinical experiences... do I still need shadowing hours? Even though I worked as a nurse, not a physician, I think I still have pretty good insights of what they do...

Yes. You need to know what the work of a physician entails, from the perspective of a physician. I think this is particularly true if I were reviewing your application and saw that you were originally in nursing. Why the switch?!

This belongs in the WAMC forum.

Don't have much experience with Canadian applicants, but I'll give it a shot (all in regard to US MD, not DO).

They won't care. But why do you want to go into medicine after you got a degree in nursing? They are far from the same thing.

Kinda low, but not auto-screen worthy. 3.5+ is preferred, 3.7 is more around matriculation averages for US MD. Probably more stringent for CA applicants.

Your clinical work looks exceptional, and lacking a bit in volunteering is going to be okay. Wouldn't hurt to get more, though.

No, it's submitted in good faith. They ask for contact information but they do not [normally] check.

It could work just fine, again highlights the fact you were interested in nursing, not medicine. But if they can speak to your ability and character with strength as a physician it'd still be worth it, in my opinion.

You're going to want to kill this test, especially as a CA applicant to US MD schools with a sub-par GPA. Make sure you know how well you're going to score and that you're more than adequately prepared to make an strong effort. If you must seek additional help I'd suggest you do so.

You must meet the prerequisites for the MD schools you apply to. They generally include the equivalent of 2 sems intro bio, 2 sems intro chem, 2 sems orgo, and 2 sems intro physics.

You'll have to look into the programs you're interested in yourself. It wouldn't hurt to find a number and give them a call if it's not readily available on their website.

Yes. You need to know what the work of a physician entails, from the perspective of a physician. I think this is particularly true if I were reviewing your application and saw that you were originally in nursing. Why the switch?!

Wow, thanks you so much for your feedbacks. I really appreciate it! So it sounds like my best bet would be to take prerequisites and work on my ECs (volunteer and clinical shadowing)... and do exceptionally well on my MCAT I guess. I am just trying to avoid having to take the new MCAT =(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just trying to avoid having to take the new MCAT =(

I would too, it looks like it's going to be a cluster ****.

But maybe that's the motivation you need. Make sure you're prepared so you don't have to take it again.