Nontrad med school experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone here knows you can do it. I hope that weight is off your shoulders now. Remember the white coat.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused. You go to a medical school that doesn't use cadavers, doesn't have anatomy lectures and let's you "teach each other?" What kind of school is it?

We were drilled repeatedly on how incredibly important anatomy is and how it's foundational to every other thing we'll ever do in medicine. Further, the dissecting of one's cadaver is a rite of passage; how in the name of all that's good would schools literally rob that from students? I'd heard about this one day in lab, but I honestly thought it was a joke.

I would be demanding that something be done. You are literally being robbed.

Best of luck in your other classes; we have 3 weeks of anatomy left and then the shelf. Will seriously miss anatomy (but not the smell of formaldehyde).

No, I'd hate business or law. So far, there is still nothing else I'd rather be doing.

Yeah, I pass for younger than I am. Most people seem to think I am about 8-10 years younger than I really am. I haven't told anyone at school my age. Maybe I don't give my classmates enough credit but I think they might treat me differently if they knew I was almost as old as their parents.

Will do!

Thanks. I will definitely look into these.

I don't like the lack of structure in "lab" where we have first years "teaching" first years. It is the blind leading the blind. I wish we had more structure and faculty guidance for these. Also, though I initially did not think the lack of cadavers was a big deal I now think we are not getting the three dimensional picture that a cadaver would provide (I know the tissues don't look the same). I will definitely check out the Gilroy book. I have been frustrated with the Gray's.

I am spending all my time not in class studying. God, I hope this gets better and I become more efficient.

I am actually turning 40 pretty soon. But I am keeping that fact on the down low! ;)

Meet with tutor tomorrow. Thanks for the support, Q!

mauberley said:
Sorry to hear this, Helen. Keep up the good fight.

Yeah, I'm not giving up just yet.

QofQuimca said:
Helen, your performance in one class is not a measure of your worth or intelligence, so don't let it eat away at your confidence. You know what to expect now, and you'll be prepared for the retake. In the meantime, give 'em hell in your other courses. You can do it.

The really sad part is that the two courses I failed - I literally failed both of them by 1%. No, I am not kidding. :(

UpwardTrend said:
Everyone here knows you can do it. I hope that weight is off your shoulders now. Remember the white coat.

Yes, the white coat, and the privilege and responsibility of helping patients. :)

HardToStarboard said:
I'm confused. You go to a medical school that doesn't use cadavers, doesn't have anatomy lectures and let's you "teach each other?" What kind of school is it?

My school offers a "PBL" curriculum which essentially boils down to few lectures and an emphasis on small discussion groups and independent study. We don't have cadavers, that is absolutely true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Helen, I feel for you (doubly so since you're in my class, although I don't think I've met you yet). When my wife went through medical school, I can't tell you how often I was drowned in her tears because of how hard she studied and how it didn't correlate with her graded performance - and she's someone who had a really strong science background and very disciplined attitude about studying. I like to think of something that another SDN poster (I think someone at LECOM-B) said: "I've never studied so hard for a B in my life." It's really personally trying, to put in so much and to seemingly receive so little back.

I don't like the way that they're running anatomy for us, and I'm still trying to find my "best" method. What I've discovered so far is that the Gray's Atlas of Anatomy isn't that great. Our LRC has all of the major atlases, so I'd come in and peruse them to see if one of them "speaks to you" better. I settled on Gilroy (also known as Thieme), which is a really exceptional atlas, and have converted two more classmates over to it. I like the art style better, but more importantly, they have very small blurbs of useful text (including clinical correlations!), they have tables that include information on muscle origins and insertions, functions, and innervations, and they have simplified muscle schematics to make it even easier to visualize what is going where. I highly recommend it.

I stopped reading Gray's (the book). I find it to be a waste of time. Instead, I go through the Gilroy atlas, and skim through the Gray's for the green boxes (clinical information).

I've also picked up Netter's flash cards. I've never been a flash card studier, and I'm not much for memorization, but anatomy is all about repetition, right? I try to go through all of the flash cards from at least one region per night. The cards also include information on origins, insertions, innervations, and more clinically relevant information. I don't know how effective it is, but I'm sure it must be doing something. I just hope it does enough - and fast - for our anatomy tests this week.

Just wanted to say I know where this place is because I interviewed there. The original poster and you are not alone in thinking this curriculum is difficult. I did not take their offer at the time because I honestly did not believe I could handle it even though my husband really liked the beach.

I also struggled with Anatomy. What worked for me is sheer repetition like Q already said. Basically, I pulled all nighters (because where I go to school, there is never any time to really do enough repetition unless you stay up all night). Some times, I did not sleep for 3-4 days in a row. Also, I spent a lot of time in the lab. Since you don't have a lab, perhaps you could buy one of those pricey videos that show the dissections? Lab does help a lot with Anatomy.

Just wanted to say I know where this place is because I interviewed there. The original poster and you are not alone in thinking this curriculum is difficult. I did not take their offer at the time because I honestly did not believe I could handle it even though my husband really liked the beach.

Sadly, there is no beach at this campus.

Basically, I pulled all nighters (because where I go to school, there is never any time to really do enough repetition unless you stay up all night).

LDP Erie?

I"ve been following your thread. Good luck Helen! You can do it!!! I'm rooting for you.

Thanks, everyone, for all the support! Currently, I am happy to report that I am not failing anything and it is a great, fantastic, fantabulous feeling!!! :D

Hopefully, I can keep this momentum going... :xf:

My school offers a "PBL" curriculum which essentially boils down to few lectures and an emphasis on small discussion groups and independent study. We don't have cadavers, that is absolutely true.

:eek:

I have nothing to offer but a hang in there and an internet hug.

So *hug*

Helen - I'm getting ready to apply to post bac school in advance of one of the COM's and have been lurking here getting my head wrapped around what I'm about to undertake. I also an nontrad after 17+ years in the entertainment business I'll be switching into premed and then med school. I really appreciate you sharing your experience here. I am hoping to learn from it and prepare myself as much as possible. Good luck! Keep swinging, it's only just begun and as you yourself said, you're finally getting the hang of it! It'll get better. I'm sure of it. In my experience more half of the fight is simply being determined to get through it. Perserverance is key.

You go girl!

Keep swinging, it's only just begun and as you yourself said, you're finally getting the hang of it! It'll get better. I'm sure of it. In my experience more half of the fight is simply being determined to get through it. Perserverance is key.

You go girl!

:eek:

I have nothing to offer but a hang in there and an internet hug.

So *hug*

Thanks, Queenofspades and n3xa!

I finished up the semester last week. Aside from my 2 Fs, I have 1 C, 2 Bs, and 2 As. Thankfully, I didn't fail anything after those first two Fs earlier in the semester. I am definitely getting the hang of things and going to work hard to do even better next semester.

I had a thought today that you nontrads will appreciate. I am sure you have seen all these studies about how they recommend people do crossword puzzles to help prevent Alzheimer's. Well, my theory is that medical school is better than any crossword puzzle for this! :laugh:

I had no clue a med school wouldn't use cadavers for A&E. What school is it? Does anyone know of any others that do the same? I don't want to waste my money sending apps there!

I had no clue a med school wouldn't use cadavers for A&E. What school is it? Does anyone know of any others that do the same? I don't want to waste my money sending apps there!

It isn't a secret what school I go to - it's the Seton Hill campus of LECOM. We don't have cadavers here and the PBL track at Erie doesn't, either, though the Erie PBL students can request permission to go to the cadaver lab (the LDP students at Erie do have cadavers). I'm not sure if the Bradenton campus has cadavers or not.

At any rate, I wasn't that bothered by the lack of cadavers. It might have helped a little with the three dimensional aspects of anatomy but it wouldn't have made a huge difference in my grade. I want to stress that it isn't the school's fault or the lack of cadavers that caused my academic struggles this semester. I do feel greater structure would have been helpful for me during anatomy, but my problems stemmed mostly from being out of practice at studying and my own personal learning issues. In fact, the faculty and administration have been very supportive during my struggles.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't a secret what school I go to - it's the Seton Hill campus of LECOM. We don't have cadavers here and the PBL track at Erie doesn't, either, though the Erie PBL students can request permission to go to the cadaver lab (the LDP students at Erie do have cadavers). I'm not sure if the Bradenton campus has cadavers or not.

At any rate, I wasn't that bothered by the lack of cadavers. It might have helped a little with the three dimensional aspects of anatomy but it wouldn't have made a huge difference in my grade. I want to stress that it isn't the school's fault or the lack of cadavers that caused my academic struggles this semester. I do feel greater structure would have been helpful for me during anatomy, but my problems stemmed mostly from being out of practice at studying and my own personal learning issues. In fact, the faculty and administration have been very supportive during my struggles.

Like the other posters, one class, especially your first class, won't measure the doctor you will become. I am glad to see you're doing well in your other courses! On that note, is it normal for a medical school to make MS-1 students to study in groups with other students and not have lecture? On top of that, you're not working on cadavers? The anatomy class I'm going to take next spring has cadavers, and I thought this would prepare me for medical school. I feel for you and your classmates, and good luck the rest of the way. :)

Med schools with cadavers, pre-computers: 100%
Med schools with cadavers, post-computers: <100%

You can argue that cadavers are no longer sufficient, to be sure. But it's harder to argue that they're no longer necessary. They are, nevertheless, expensive. And of course you have various ethical mishaps, especially in the age of smartphone cameras and Facebook... :rolleyes:

I like that my school has a huge, old-fashioned cadaver lab. But I expect them to gradually be deemphasized as time goes by. I don't know what the current statistics are as far as how many schools use them, I know it's still the vast majority.

Helen,

Here is an internet hug *HUG*
I wish you the best of luck, but I'm not sure that you really need it. :)

I failed Anatomy by less then 2 points too. I thought I would be more upset, but I am not. When I look at the whole picture of my first semester of medical school, I am just glad its over. I love my school and my graduating class, but I still feel lonely. As a non trad there are differences. When we finish a set of major exams...they party I get to be with my preschooler. When they get to stay up all night and study...I get to be with my preschooler. When they get to go on dates...I get to be with my preschooler etc etc etc There are other nontrads, but outside of school we do not have much in common. People ask me why did I come to this school where I have no family and friends....and I try to explain no matter what school I went to I would still be doing everything alone. I am saying all of this because yes I have to repeat Anatomy, but through the ER visits, new school parties swim lessons, soccer games etc I did it. I think this semester will be better because NO MORE LABS YEAH!!!!!!! Well, not until I repeat Anatomy next summer. LOL

Happy Holidays

I do not really see the point of cadavers. I mean a dead body does not look the same as a fresh tissue sample, and the bodies are often diseased or elderly so things are distorted internally.

I do not really see the point of cadavers. I mean a dead body does not look the same as a fresh tissue sample, and the bodies are often diseased or elderly so things are distorted internally.

That's exactly the point, I believe--the variation from individual to individual. Maybe an argument could be made if one had no intention of going into surgery, but I nonetheless find I can learn from my cadaver.

On that note, is it normal for a medical school to make MS-1 students to study in groups with other students and not have lecture? On top of that, you're not working on cadavers?

Those study groups were actually called "labs" by the school. I doubt it is typical, even for other schools with PBL, and it often felt like the blind leading the blind. We had some "discussions" and "forums" where we either had the opportunity to ask questions of faculty or faculty went over a set of questions we were provided in advance and expected to have worked through. No traditional lectures, though. No, we don't have cadavers. I wonder if we are the only school without them?

Helen,

Here is an internet hug *HUG*
I wish you the best of luck, but I'm not sure that you really need it. :)

Thanks a bunch, ChemMed! :)

I failed Anatomy by less then 2 points too. I thought I would be more upset, but I am not. When I look at the whole picture of my first semester of medical school, I am just glad its over. I love my school and my graduating class, but I still feel lonely. As a non trad there are differences. When we finish a set of major exams...they party I get to be with my preschooler. When they get to stay up all night and study...I get to be with my preschooler. When they get to go on dates...I get to be with my preschooler etc etc etc There are other nontrads, but outside of school we do not have much in common. People ask me why did I come to this school where I have no family and friends....and I try to explain no matter what school I went to I would still be doing everything alone. I am saying all of this because yes I have to repeat Anatomy, but through the ER visits, new school parties swim lessons, soccer games etc I did it. I think this semester will be better because NO MORE LABS YEAH!!!!!!! Well, not until I repeat Anatomy next summer. LOL

Live 2BMD,

I can identify with some of your feelings. I feel that med school has created more isolation for me, as my friends and family simply do no understand my day to day life anymore - they don't understand the workload and stress. They think they do, but they don't. I blend in quite well with the millennials and am comfortable with them (not quite sure if blending in with people 15 years younger than me is positive or not! :laugh: ). I don't have children or an SO, which simplifies things tremendously, but I have a long commute and I am not going to hang around campus until 8 PM to go out with classmates if class ends in the afternoon. Also, not really sure the parties and bar hopping with alcohol as a focus would really appeal to me. So, I also don't spend a whole lot of time socializing outside of class with classmates. But I plan to make more of an effort next semester to be social. I had to focus on not failing classes this semester to the exclusion of everything else.

I was devastated about failing anatomy... and I still am. To work so hard and fall short by so little is heartbreaking. :( I often find myself worrying about being able to pass the remediation exams that await me this summer. I'd give anything to change the fact that I failed that flipping class but it is what it is.

Those study groups were actually called "labs" by the school. I doubt it is typical, even for other schools with PBL, and it often felt like the blind leading the blind. We had some "discussions" and "forums" where we either had the opportunity to ask questions of faculty or faculty went over a set of questions we were provided in advance and expected to have worked through. No traditional lectures, though. No, we don't have cadavers. I wonder if we are the only school without them?

Thanks a bunch, ChemMed! :)

Live 2BMD,

I can identify with some of your feelings. I feel that med school has created more isolation for me, as my friends and family simply do no understand my day to day life anymore - they don't understand the workload and stress. They think they do, but they don't. I blend in quite well with the millennials and am comfortable with them (not quite sure if blending in with people 15 years younger than me is positive or not! :laugh: ). I don't have children or an SO, which simplifies things tremendously, but I have a long commute and I am not going to hang around campus until 8 PM to go out with classmates if class ends in the afternoon. Also, not really sure the parties and bar hopping with alcohol as a focus would really appeal to me. So, I also don't spend a whole lot of time socializing outside of class with classmates. But I plan to make more of an effort next semester to be social. I had to focus on not failing classes this semester to the exclusion of everything else.

I was devastated about failing anatomy... and I still am. To work so hard and fall short by so little is heartbreaking. :( I often find myself worrying about being able to pass the remediation exams that await me this summer. I'd give anything to change the fact that I failed that flipping class but it is what it is.

I am not implying that i want to "bar hop" with the youngins....I am just saying that there is a difference and I am lonely...I would love to celebrate the ending of a major exams with age appropriate girlfriends...or even a sushi wine dinner date.

As for Anatomy I just can not give it too much energy right now because I failed it its over and I have to refocus...we start a new semester in one week. I need to be positive. As for remediation my school used that term and I have no idea what that means...what does it mean at your school please?

Last edited:
Usually some time to study and take a new exam showing proficiency. Students that need to remediate anatomy at my school however needed to wait until the summer. Then they spent their summer prosecting cadavers and having quizzes on the cadavers they prosected as their makeup practical exams. Yes, we had cadaver lab and did all our own dissection. The PA students used the prosected cadavers prepared by the medical students.

Usually some time to study and take a new exam showing proficiency. Students that need to remediate anatomy at my school however needed to wait until the summer. Then they spent their summer prosecting cadavers and having quizzes on the cadavers they prosected as their makeup practical exams. Yes, we had cadaver lab and did all our own dissection. The PA students used the prosected cadavers prepared by the medical students.

Thank you. I am hoping it will work out. My school said that the remediation for Anatomy is at another school out of state. I did a search on SDN about remediation....Is it possible to pick the school where you do the remediation or you have to do it where the school tells you? Also do you get to take out additional loans to pay for the remediation?

Thank you. I am hoping it will work out. My school said that the remediation for Anatomy is at another school out of state. I did a search on SDN about remediation....Is it possible to pick the school where you do the remediation or you have to do it where the school tells you? Also do you get to take out additional loans to pay for the remediation?

I would expect school policy to dictate how remediation works.

Live 2BMD said:
I am not implying that i want to "bar hop" with the youngins....I am just saying that there is a difference and I am lonely...I would love to celebrate the ending of a major exams with age appropriate girlfriends...or even a sushi wine dinner date.

Oh, I'm not saying you would want to bar hop. At my school, the traditional students seem to focus on social activities revolving around alcohol, either at bars or student hosted parties. I'm just not into that and I am going to try to suggest some other things like movies or dinner at a nice restaurant this semester and see if there are any takers. Too bad we are not at the same school - I'd eat sushi with you! :)

Live @BMD said:
As for Anatomy I just can not give it too much energy right now because I failed it its over and I have to refocus...we start a new semester in one week. I need to be positive. As for remediation my school used that term and I have no idea what that means...what does it mean at your school please?

You are right and I wish I were able to put anatomy out of my mind like that. I have been ruminating on it to an unhealthy degree. And I worry about being able to pass the remediation. I am going to have to start reviewing soon, setting aside an hour a week or something. I can't wait until the week before the exam.

At my school if you fail anatomy with a grade below 65% you have to repeat the course over the summer. Since I had a "high fail" of 69% I just have to take two remediation exams this summer. What worries me is that the remediation exams have to be passed at a higher standard - you need a 75% to pass instead of the usual 70% on normal tests. :scared: Was barely getting 75% with hard, hard work. But yes, remediation policies are going to be school dependent and I don't think they'd let you choose where you did it.

As far as financial aid for remediation, my school's policy manual says that you are only eligible for federal aid when you are making satisfactory academic progress and since remediation means you aren't making satisfactory progress you can't get federal aid for it. My school charges $100 per remediation exam but I can take the exams at my school so it won't be too much money but that is rather inconvenient that your school makes you go to another school in another state?!

Oh, I'm not saying you would want to bar hop. At my school, the traditional students seem to focus on social activities revolving around alcohol, either at bars or student hosted parties. I'm just not into that and I am going to try to suggest some other things like movies or dinner at a nice restaurant this semester and see if there are any takers. Too bad we are not at the same school - I'd eat sushi with you! :)

You are right and I wish I were able to put anatomy out of my mind like that. I have been ruminating on it to an unhealthy degree. And I worry about being able to pass the remediation. I am going to have to start reviewing soon, setting aside an hour a week or something. I can't wait until the week before the exam.

At my school if you fail anatomy with a grade below 65% you have to repeat the course over the summer. Since I had a "high fail" of 69% I just have to take two remediation exams this summer. What worries me is that the remediation exams have to be passed at a higher standard - you need a 75% to pass instead of the usual 70% on normal tests. :scared: Was barely getting 75% with hard, hard work. But yes, remediation policies are going to be school dependent and I don't think they'd let you choose where you did it.

As far as financial aid for remediation, my school's policy manual says that you are only eligible for federal aid when you are making satisfactory academic progress and since remediation means you aren't making satisfactory progress you can't get federal aid for it. My school charges $100 per remediation exam but I can take the exams at my school so it won't be too much money but that is rather inconvenient that your school makes you go to another school in another state?!

LOL I wish you were here too....My preschooler hates sushi.
OMG I am sorry about your school's policy. At my school 65 is passing period. There is no high to low pass. Yes I can see why you are nervous about the remediation exams. My school does not offer this remediation course for Anatomy, so the closest school that offers it is about 2 hours away. My school did not give a whole lot of information, they said they will tell me more in March. I am just trying to get a basic understanding now... because I will have to take my child and set her up in camp there as well as find a room for us to rent for the summer etc etc. Worse case scenerio i will start doing overnight babysitting in my home for extra money. Trust me I would love to break down, but I can not I have to keep thinking of plan A, B, C, D etc...I really hope things work out for you...and thank you for not being judgemental.

Well, I came back for another semester! Classes resumed last week on Jan 4th and we are already having exams on Wed and Fri this week - right back into the fray! My main goal this semester is to not fail anything but also hopefully, to not get anything less than a B, if possible.

I still have mornings where I wake up and can't believe that I am in med school and actually doing this! :eek:

So, most of the semester is over. I had a sort of mid-semester slump where I fell behind in my reading, and my grades slipped a bit. I failed a written OMM exam (first failed exam since September). Thankfully, my overall grade in the course is still passing.

There are only five weeks left of the semester and then I will be ... not done. :( I have remediation in two courses to look forward to, a total of three exams. Two exams will be my old nemesis, anatomy. So, I probably won't be done with first year until mid-June, provided that I pass these remediation exams. If I don't pass, they'll give me another chance a few weeks later, and after that, they'd make me repeat first year which sucks for anyone but especially someone as old as me.

Keep me in your prayers. :xf:

So, most of the semester is over. I had a sort of mid-semester slump where I fell behind in my reading, and my grades slipped a bit. I failed a written OMM exam (first failed exam since September). Thankfully, my overall grade in the course is still passing.

There are only five weeks left of the semester and then I will be ... not done. :( I have remediation in two courses to look forward to, a total of three exams. Two exams will be my old nemesis, anatomy. So, I probably won't be done with first year until mid-June, provided that I pass these remediation exams. If I don't pass, they'll give me another chance a few weeks later, and after that, they'd make me repeat first year which sucks for anyone but especially someone as old as me.

I'm not the praying kind, but FWIW, I do believe in you and know that you can do this. Stay positive, focus on what needs to be done, and take it one test at a time.

I'm not the praying kind, but FWIW, I do believe in you and know that you can do this. Stay positive, focus on what needs to be done, and take it one test at a time.

Thanks, Q! It has been a long, hard nine months, but I am trying to keep focused through the next couple months so I can make it to second year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

I am the dancing kind. I shall salsa for your success. You will do this because you can and that is all that matters. Cheers and good luck, but you don't really need it. :luck:

Thanks, everyone, for all the prayers, thoughts, and salsas!

I just finished my last remediation exam today. I passed all of my remediation exams for histo and anatomy and have now officially completed my first year of medical school!

It has been a long, hard year, but I am finally done and can now enjoy 8 weeks of SUMMER!

:soexcited:

I just finished my last remediation exam today. I passed all of my remediation exams for histo and anatomy and have now officially completed my first year of medical school!

It has been a long, hard year, but I am finally done and can now enjoy 8 weeks of SUMMER!

Congratulations Helen! I've just read your entire thread, and you are inspiring! Enjoy your summer, and I can't wait to hear how MS2 goes for you. :)

CONGRATULATIONS! I've been reading your thread recently, and I knew you'd pull it off! :soexcited:

So, many of you know I started med school three weeks ago. Thought I would share my experiences so far.

I was really worried I would be a freak because of my age but my school has quite a few people that look close to me in age (they have to be in their 30's). Possibly I am the oldest in my class but the school hasn't shared any data about that. Really, my age has been a non-issue and I barely think about it at this point. To make a generalization, millennials have a great sense of humor! My classmates are very supportive and helpful.

I did okay on the quizzes we had in the first two weeks but now things are starting to fall apart. I wasn't a science major and I am far removed from my pre-req coursework so I guess that does not help. I am struggling with Anatomy and I have to study my butt off this weekend for the histology final on Monday or I am going to fail the histo course. :(

I think I can get a passing grade in histo with hard work this weekend and on Monday I am going to ask for a tutor for Anatomy. I worked so hard to get here and I knew it would be hard work here but I didn't realize I was going to struggle so much. Yep, I was in tears this week. It only took three weeks of med school to crack me. :cry:

To top it off, my neck and shoulder are killing me. I think it is from a combination of studying so much along with lugging these heavy books around campus, and sitting for hours in these awful lecture hall seats my school has. The shame of it is, I go to an osteopathic school but they haven't taught us yet how to treat anything so I can't ask my classmates for an adjustment yet.

First off, this is a great idea for a thread. Why didn't anyone think of this before? (Or maybe they have.)

I'm sure med school has cracked everyone in one way or another-- don't assume that just because you can't see people breaking down it means that they aren't. They probably think the same thing about you.

Also, med school is SUPPOSED to be killer. Something wouldn't be right if you DIDN'T find it hard. (Although I can't say I would pity you.) So know this is normal, and get to studying. Sounds like you're doing the right things already, pursuing a tutor and all. Would a study group help?

Lecture seats DO suck. I had a classmate who bought her own seatrest to class sometimes. It looked kind of nerdy but I tried it once and I was so jealous. Also, stretching or yoga does wonders for that. I have a sore back whenever I study because I'm hunched over on my desk, etc., and whenever I do yoga I don't even feel it.

Good luck with everything!

Hi, everyone!

I wanted to post this update to let people know how I am doing. I just finished my 3rd semester of medical school. I am happy to report that I received grades of all As and Bs this semester! :soexcited:

The first two semesters were a real struggle and I view my first year of med school as one of the worst years of my life. In the first semester alone I failed anatomy and another course and had both a parent and a pet die. Academically, I was struggling because I hadn't been a full time student in over a decade, I had a weak science background, and had forgotten whatever study skills I ever had.

I made it through last year by sheer determination and stubbornness. I also had a fantastic student tutor who was not only a great teacher but he was very dedicated and spent long hours with me. There were a few faculty who were very supportive, as well. This fall semester was the first semester were I finally felt as if I had my feet on solid ground.

I am posting this update because I hope if there are any older, nontrad students struggling out there with first year that they know it is possible to make it over the adjustment period of being a student again in a demanding program. One year ago I really was not sure I would still be in medical school today but I am still here and doing better than I ever expected.

Now, on to the next challenge of preparing for the first board exam in the spring... :xf:

Hi, everyone!

I wanted to post this update to let people know how I am doing. I just finished my 3rd semester of medical school. I am happy to report that I received grades of all As and Bs this semester! :soexcited:

The first two semesters were a real struggle and I view my first year of med school as one of the worst years of my life. In the first semester alone I failed anatomy and another course and had both a parent and a pet die. Academically, I was struggling because I hadn't been a full time student in over a decade, I had a weak science background, and had forgotten whatever study skills I ever had.

I made it through last year by sheer determination and stubbornness. I also had a fantastic student tutor who was not only a great teacher but he was very dedicated and spent long hours with me. There were a few faculty who were very supportive, as well. This fall semester was the first semester were I finally felt as if I had my feet on solid ground.

I am posting this update because I hope if there are any older, nontrad students struggling out there with first year that they know it is possible to make it over the adjustment period of being a student again in a demanding program. One year ago I really was not sure I would still be in medical school today but I am still here and doing better than I ever expected.

Now, on to the next challenge of preparing for the first board exam in the spring... :xf:

I'm really glad you posted this. It is very encouraging to see that you succeed even though you struggled at first. I am seriously considering the new Anatomy class that my school is offering this spring. I am currently a senior but I had a long gap in my college education and when I returned I was married with children so I know I will be challenged. Anyways, i already took one of the nurses Anatomy courses but I did not retain much. This new class is being designed for pre-med students and it is being taught by one of the doctors who teaches anatomy to the med students. From your posts I get the feeling you think this class would be a good idea. I already have all my pre-reqs and I would be taking it along with my last 2-3 classes required for my degree.

Thanks for the update post, was actually thinking of bumping this thread the other day.

Curiosity question, are you still commuting? If so, how's that going?

Very inspiring and Congratulations!! I actually went to Seton Hill College (all women's school at the time) for my undergrad umpteen years ago. I have a special place in my heart for that campus. As you drive up the 'Hill', I actually lived in one of those 'turrets' at the top of the admin building. Great job and keep up the good work!!!

I'm really glad you posted this. It is very encouraging to see that you succeed even though you struggled at first. I am seriously considering the new Anatomy class that my school is offering this spring. I am currently a senior but I had a long gap in my college education and when I returned I was married with children so I know I will be challenged. Anyways, i already took one of the nurses Anatomy courses but I did not retain much. This new class is being designed for pre-med students and it is being taught by one of the doctors who teaches anatomy to the med students. From your posts I get the feeling you think this class would be a good idea. I already have all my pre-reqs and I would be taking it along with my last 2-3 classes required for my degree.

You know, I wish I had taken some anatomy before med school though I know a lot of people on SDN disagree about the usefulness of this. I only took the bare minimum 8 science pre-req courses for med school plus a one semester biochem course. To make things worse, in the 8 years prior to med school I had taken one class, the biochem class, and that was taken two years prior to matriculating. In first year I felt that everything was completely new to me because I never had any anatomy, embryo, histo, immuno, physiology, nothing like that. It was so overwhelming to have a huge amount of new material coming at me. This is why I feel it may be beneficial to have some coursework in these areas and especially anatomy, because that course comes at you especially fast and furious in med school.

wholeheartedly said:
Thanks for the update post, was actually thinking of bumping this thread the other day.

Curiosity question, are you still commuting? If so, how's that going?

Yes, I am still commuting one hour each way. I really don't think it is an issue, especially since I commuted 45 minutes to work for many years before school. Even when I was having academic problems last year I never felt that the commute was causing my problems. A couple of my classmates have tried to blame failures on similar commutes but I'm not buying that. It's not great to have to commute one hour but it is doable. Also, with the PBL curriculum at my school, after the first semester, we are usually only on campus 2-3 hours a day, and some weeks you don't have to go to campus every day. Last winter was very mild here, which also helped. Here's hoping this winter the treats me well, too. :xf:

flyhi said:
Very inspiring and Congratulations!! I actually went to Seton Hill College (all women's school at the time) for my undergrad umpteen years ago. I have a special place in my heart for that campus. As you drive up the 'Hill', I actually lived in one of those 'turrets' at the top of the admin building. Great job and keep up the good work!!!

Thanks, flyhi! I love the tree lined driveway and the admin building, by the way! They really have character. That must have been fun to live in the "turret"! :)

Helen Wheels,

How has your school/life balance been over the past year and a half? Has it been full-steam ahead with studying, or have you had time for life outside of school?

Great thread. I need to comment that THIS is the kinda stuff SDN people should consider when looking for input/solitude.

SDN is a place where people almost always inflate their egos artificially by anonymity. NO, not everyone in med school get's straight A's. Sorry, not everyone in med school gets 250's on the Step. Kudos to Helen for being a voice of realism. And this is a good perspective for non-trads. Reality is, that the MEAN AVERAGE of all medical students is C's and B's. It's EXTREMELY bell-curve in med school. A's are hard to come by. Although if you go around SDN w/ a lot of the fakeness, you'd think everyone has 4.0's and score 99th percentiles on USMLE exams, right??? And as non-trads, it's something of a personal ego kick to admit that we might have some "rust" on our brains.

I don't have ANY med school chums who are even in their 30's (I'm 35). I found myself getting along w/ the married folks w/ kids (in their late 20's). There's only so much puking and vomiting you can do in your life. NO MATTER how hard you worked for an exam, ya know? lol Post-exam, my friends and I would get a couple cigars, a 6 pack of beer, and sit somewhere w/ a view and enjoy the relief of not having to gun for an exam for the moment. And watch the trads, pull up in taxis later on, stumbling incoherent, sometimes vomiting in the vicinity of our housing.

There's something to NOT fitting into some of the cliques. And as mature as we want to be, w/ our age and wisdom, it does take some getting used to for NOT trying to fit into the "cool kid" clique. You can be in your 30's and still find yourself thinking, "Man, I wish I did go out w/ the cool kids!" DON'T GO, lol. Partying like that is expensive. And if you got your youthful exuberance out when you were THEIR age, it's played out!!!!

Something I felt, in my experience, is that as an older student, a lot of the class will look to you for wisdom and guidance. Am I right? Accept that! There is a lot to be said about possibly already having a career. Or a family. Or even a strong LTR that isn't just hooking up randomly. So if you academic performance allows it, join clubs/organizations. AND get onto the Elected Board. BE President! It looks great on your CV. And it will give you some extra distinction when the Match rolls around (I hope).

MOST of med school is working earnestly, endlessly, and exhaustively to maybe eke out a B or a solid C (or pass as opposed to honor/high pass). I didn't get my 1st A on an exam in Basic Sciences until 3rd semester. Live in on the dome of the mean in the bell curve. And enjoy it. Knowing you are amongst some of the brightest people in America, and you are keeping pace w/ them!!

And if you barely pass, no matter how hard you work, just remember that famous saying: "What do you call the person who graduates last in med school???? DOCTOR!"

Best of luck Helen and others who have chimed in, and those non-trads who are pre-med and reading this encouraging thread!!

Thank you for this thread, Helen! So glad to hear you're doing so much better this semester and I hope it becomes a trend :)

Hi, everyone!

God I love being proven right. :D

Congrats, Helen. And don't let yourself get drawn into the Step 1 mass hysteria. (I swear there should be something in the DSM list of neuroses for that. :laugh:) You'll feel like you should be studying every review book out there, but resist the urge. You don't have the time to read all that. Pick one source of review, one source of questions, and learn it well. Also, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time for vacation before starting third year, and treat yourself to something fun. And keep up the good work!

And don't let yourself get drawn into the Step 1 mass hysteria. (I swear there should be something in the DSM list of neuroses for that. :laugh:) !

:whistle:

youre-just-lazy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Great thread. I need to comment that THIS is the kinda stuff SDN people should consider when looking for input/solitude.
!

Yes! This post was pretty much spot on!

To one of the previous posters about taking anatomy prior to med school.. I highly recommend it. I felt badly for those who did not have it first... we skipped over the basics and dug right in. Knowing the 'language' already helped tremendously!

E27 said:
Helen Wheels,

How has your school/life balance been over the past year and a half? Has it been full-steam ahead with studying, or have you had time for life outside of school?

The first three months of school with anatomy was pretty crazy but since then, with a PBL schedule and getting more efficient at studying it's okay. Two weeks before a big exam gets pretty crazy and a lot of stuff like recreation and exercise go to the wayside, but otherwise, I have time to exercise and do some fun things. It is a full time job though. One you take home with you. I should add I don't have a SO or kids. I'm not sure how the people with young kids do it. There are lots of people in my class with new babies!

Thanks, flyhi, shahcoco and Gfliptastic! I hope this thread helps someone who is struggling to keep going or maybe better prepares a older nontrad for what is to come (before I got to med school I did not expect to have the problems that I did).

QofQuimca said:
God I love being proven right.

Thanks Q! I actually asked one of the faculty who believed in me how they knew I could succeed a year ago when I wasn't even sure I could. Apparently, it isn't unusual for older students who have been out of school for awhile to struggle at first with medical school.

Gfliptastic said:
Live on the dome of the mean in the bell curve. And enjoy it. Knowing you are amongst some of the brightest people in America, and you are keeping pace w/ them!!

:thumbup: