Nontrad seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaron9297

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current graduate student getting my Masters of Health Care Administration. I've decided to go to medical school (applying for 2018 entry). My uGPA was 3.37, but my science was around 3.1. My graduate GPA is 4.0, with about 48 hours so far, with about fifteen more to go. I know my uGPA is a little low, but I feel that having over 3000 hours of clinical experience (student athletic trainer during college) would help to offset it. I'm set to take my MCAT this August. Just wondering if there was anybody close to my stats that can offer advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Get your sGPA up. Med schools look at cGPA, sGPA and MCAT at high priority, then gradGPA.

Ensure that you also apply to DO schools. The grade replacement helped me tremendously. Since you have only 15 credits left to complete your masters, you may want to consider putting that on hold for now. Retake a few of your undergraduate courses (and get A's in them), even if it's at a community college. This will bring up your uGPA. Do this for the next year (216-2017). Then, during your application year (2017-2018), complete your masters.

Of course my advice only applies if you're considering DO schools. If you're only interested in MD schools, then I have nothing to offer other than do your best, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I can't afford to stop my masters and do a post-bacc for science courses. I'm shadowing a pediatric neurosurgeon for about 30 hours this summer and following an orthopedist a few days a week this summer too. I was an athletic trainer in college, so i'm hoping having thousands of hours of clinical experience and a few hundred of volunteer will help strengthen my application. And no, I'm not considering DO schools.

I had similar numbers-ish, with clinical experience and retook the lower science classes for two reasons: to up the GPA (obvious) and to do well on the MCAT. I did that while working two jobs - so it is possible, but uncomfortable. Clinical experience is great, but you also need to get the interview to sell that portion.

I'm a current graduate student getting my Masters of Health Care Administration. I've decided to go to medical school (applying for 2018 entry). My uGPA was 3.37, but my science was around 3.1. My graduate GPA is 4.0, with about 48 hours so far, with about fifteen more to go. I know my uGPA is a little low, but I feel that having over 3000 hours of clinical experience (student athletic trainer during college) would help to offset it. I'm set to take my MCAT this August. Just wondering if there was anybody close to my stats that can offer advice.

I had very similar stats (slightly lower) than yours and was able to get into a few schools based on several things:
- A strong personal statement
- Above average MCAT
- Varied extracurriculars
- Applying early and widely

Hope this helps!

Grad GPA doesn't mean much. The focus will be on your Undergrad GPAs. You need to do some retakes to raise your sGPA and study well enough to get >501 score on the MCAT.

And no, I'm not considering DO schools.

That's foolish, honestly. Get a subscription to the MSAR and see that you're close to the 10th percentile for all MD schools with that GPA. Trust me, they won't care about your master's GPA.

I have a doctorate in clinical psych, director of psych dept at one of the largest public hospitals in the US, on medical staff in dept of psychiatry, owned a practice with physicians, and had years and years of clinical experience (10000+), and a 3.96 graduate/doctoral gpa. My ugpa was better than yours and guess what, I didn't meet the typical mold of most med students (>age, <510+ MCAT, <3.7 gpa, etc) so most MD schools weren't interested. I'm assuming you are a Caucasian male so you won't get that we need you bump. Call some schools or show up to their open house and ask. Sure, apply to MD schools if you want (as you have little to lose) and let those who are passionate about becoming a DO have that slot.

Best of luck in your future career!

Reactions: 1 user