Nontrad sGPA 3.58, cGPA 3.7, MCAT 30 - School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just completed a post-bac and am looking for advice about where to apply.

I finished most of the pre-reqs in college but went with a post-bac (big public college) to complete the pre-reqs/improve my GPA. I am Connecticut resident and my app breakdown is:

Cumulative (post-bac + undergrad):

sGPA: 3.58

cGPA: 3.7

Postbac (one year):

GPA: 3.97

-Physics 1 and 2, animal physiology, genetics, cell biology, O chem lab (my one A-), and biochemistry along with one class on how to give medical histories and one class on how to give general physicals.

Undergrad (very competitive big state school):

sGPA: 3.36

cGPA: 3.64

MCAT: 30 (P 10, V 11, B 9)

ECS:

1) Peace Corps volunteer in Central Africa.

-The chief of the village health center let me "mock" diagnose, where someone would come in and I would measure their blood pressure, heart beat, palpate various areas and measure temperatures. I would then tell him what I thought was wrong with the patient (75% of our patients have malaria so its easier than it sounds). Its a lot of fun and is actually one of the reasons I solidly decided to get back into the medicine gig.

-Received $5000 USAID grant to lead a project to bring clean water to my village for the first time in ten years by repairing two broken wells and organizing a village maintenance fund and program.

-Other work included designing a program that allowed people to use farms for health insurance at the local health center and teaching english

2) Two years of stem cell research including one 2nd author publication

-used computer program to analyze scaffolds for stem cell seeding, so def not a “washing glassware” experience
3) 100 hours of shadowing under cardiologist and general surgeon
4) Health desk intern for in US Senate. Helped research for the new health care legislation.

5) Years of hospital volunteering, medical missions teams etc

School list:

Albany

Rosalind Franklin

Creighton

Drexel

EVMS

Quinnipiac

GW

Georgetown

Hofstra

Jefferson

Loma Linda

Medical College of Wisconsin

NYMC
Oakland

Penn State

Rush

SUNY Upstate

SUNY Downstate

Saint Louis U

Temple

Commenwealth

Tulane

UConn (CT resident)

University of Colorado

Miami

University of Oklahoma (born in OK and have family there)

Rochester

U Vermont

Wake Forest

Dartmouth (reach)

Mayo (reach)

I would love advice about where I should apply that likes a nontraditional student like me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oustranding Ecs and numbers are really good. Also consider

Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Jefferson
Loma Linda
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Rush
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Saint Louis U
Temple
Commenwealth
UConn (CT resident)
Rochester
U Vermont
Wake Forest
Dartmouth (reach)
Any DO program
All other new MD schools

Do you think I have a shot at Georgetown or GW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since Georgetown is a Jesuit school that has commitment to international medical service, they would like my Peace Corps experience

Thanks for the input. Any other schools I should add?

Oustranding Ecs and numbers are really good. Also consider

Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Jefferson
Loma Linda
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Rush
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Saint Louis U
Temple
Commenwealth
UConn (CT resident)
Rochester
U Vermont
Wake Forest
Dartmouth (reach)
Any DO program
All other new MD schools

Does this mean I should apply to the new public schools in Florida (FIU, FSU, FAU)?

Reactions: 1 user
Some of them have decent OOS numbers, so you're in striking distance.
What do you think of my chances at a reach like Dartmouth? Do you think they can see past my low numbers?

What do you think of my chances at a reach like Dartmouth? Do you think they can see past my low numbers?
I don't recommend it, I think you can fit another school with a better stat match for that slot

Reactions: 1 user
VCU, yes The other schools no, unless you're from those states. State schools like to favor the home team.
I know my application isn't the best, but what reach schools would you recommend for me? A friend of mine told me University of Colorado really likes peace corps type stuff on the app? Could this be a reach?

I know my application isn't the best, but what reach schools would you recommend for me? A friend of mine told me University of Colorado really likes peace corps type stuff on the app? Could this be a reach?
CO is a better reach for you than Dartmouth.