Nontraditional after a long time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dasauto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some advice about my situation. I'm nearing age 29 and am considering going to medical school (or at the moment, completing pre-med prerequisites and taking the MCAT, getting in is only a hopeful idea at the moment).

I was pre-med in college and a microbiology major. I ended up shifting to a non-science major. I did take the MCAT and scored in the low 20s. My overall GPA was 3.67 and my science GPA was around 3.05.
I had even gotten an interview at a medical school, but fortunately did not get in.

The fortunately was because I have a chronic intestinal illness. It kept me from studying as long as I could and there were many times my science courses' grades were almost A's (88%ish). No way would I have kept up with the courseload in medical school.

I ended up going to law school and am now working in a career. However, the major difference now is that I was prescribed a medicine that completely defeats my illness and has kept it fully at bay for nearly 2 years. Recently, I had to get through three certifications at my job in a 2 month time period. I studied hard on top of working full time and passed through all of them. None of the time did my illness cause any issues. I'm not particularly happy with my career, there's workplace politics, annoying management, and other annoyances. I'm also mature enough to know this is certainly the case in any field, including medicine. However, I'd rather be working in a profession where I at least feel positive about what I do. I don't have any naive expectations either, most of my family works in healthcare, whether nurses, doctors, etc.

I've looked through lots of threads for nontraditionals and was wondering about the following:

1. Since my pre-med courses were nearly 10-11 years ago, I should probably retake them?

2. If I do, does it have to be at a university? It almost seems as if community college is okay for medical school applicants? If I do the CC route, what about advanced courses like immunology, genetics, and so on, would I have to take those?

3. I was considering working super hard and study for the MCAT to sit for it later next year and if I do well (beyond a score of 30), then I should take college courses the next semester. Is it allowed to take the MCAT before the prerequisite courses?

I just feel that at the moment, at a young age being single with an okay financial situation, I may not get a chance to try this route again for a very long time into the future.

Thanks for taking a look!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums. Some schools state that required coursework must be completed within a certain timeframe while other schools do not have this limit. I would examine how well you know the material after the break between classes and past performance in said classes and be strategic about retakes. The goal isn't to survive the classes but rather to learn the material both for the mcat and for medical school. Courses can be completed at a CC or 4 year university. A few schools require all classes to be completed at a 4 year university, other schools require an explanation for classes completed at CC. Some ADCOMs MAY have a preference for 4 year university but if you are working full time/have other obligations, your options may be limited and they will be understanding. The key is to do well, learn the material, and do well for the mcat. Think of every pre req as a prep for the mcat. As for the mcat, that is a test that you really only want to take once. Medical schools will see every score that you earn and ideally you want to have one good score. Ideally, you want to take the test once, when you are ready and most prepared to earn a high score. I would wait till you have completed all recommended classes.

Yes

1. Since my pre-med courses were nearly 10-11 years ago, I should probably retake them?

CC is fine. i recommend taking as many rigorous science courses to show that you can handle med school (and ace said courses).

2. If I do, does it have to be at a university? It almost seems as if community college is okay for medical school applicants? If I do the CC route, what about advanced courses like immunology, genetics, and so on, would I have to take those?

Yes, but foolish to do so. MCAT is not for self-study.
3. I was considering working super hard and study for the MCAT to sit for it later next year and if I do well (beyond a score of 30), then I should take college courses the next semester. Is it allowed to take the MCAT before the prerequisite courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the MCAT to sit for it later next year and if I do well (beyond a score of 30)
@Dasauto - MCAT scoring is now 528 scale (that is 100%)... a 30 is about 510 or so.

Everyone, thanks for responding, I guess I have a lot of research to do, and now have a better idea of where at exactly.