Nontraditional applicant feasibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TikaGod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
38 MCAT, 3.5 overall GPA (3.26undergrad with 3.35 science, 3.73 graduate GPA)

currently completing a PhD in cell and molecular biology at UT austin, LORs should be pretty great. Was an EMT in my first semester of college and worked in a hospital as a nurses aide for 2 years during high school. When I got out of college I worked in a research lab for 2 years as a tech, then went for PhD. I have 3 papers, not first author, and 1 first authorship in submission.

applied to:
texas schools,
IU
SLU
Emory
Cornell
Columbia
Vanderbelt
UNM
UNC
Northwestern
Harvard
Albert Einstin
Baylor
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
USCD
UIC
WashU

So far I have secondary invites from almost everywhere
Only 1 invite, to a Texas school

I'm very busy with my dissertation, so the AMCAS wasn't submitted until 7/23, verified 9/20, secondaries went out 10/6 so overall I'm very late. TMDSAS was submitted 7/23, verified 8/16. Sent out secondaries for it on 8/20 for southwestern, 9/29 for the rest.

Think there's any chance of me getting more interviews? Unfortunately I have my heart set on a Texas school, my wife goes to UTMB, but due to stupid Texas laws I'm not technically a resident. Actually, I can't claim residency anywhere, so I'm pretty screwed there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
38 MCAT, 3.5 overall GPA (3.26undergrad with 3.35 science, 3.73 graduate GPA)

So far I have secondary invites from almost everywhere
Only 1 invite, to a Texas school

I'm very busy with my dissertation, so the AMCAS wasn't submitted until 7/23, verified 9/20, secondaries went out 10/6 so overall I'm very late. TMDSAS was submitted 7/23, verified 8/16. Sent out secondaries for it on 8/20 for southwestern, 9/29 for the rest.

You've definitely applied to some very competitive programs! Your MCAT is great but your undergrad GPA may cause some schools to hesitate - despite your excellent ECs. Looks to me like you still have a good chance; it's still early in the interview season. Keep improving your credentials and practicing what you'd like to say on the interviews that will be coming your way :thumbup:

You've definitely applied to some very competitive programs! Your MCAT is great but your undergrad GPA may cause some schools to hesitate - despite your excellent ECs. Looks to me like you still have a good chance; it's still early in the interview season. Keep improving your credentials and practicing what you'd like to say on the interviews that will be coming your way :thumbup:

Do you think it would be too late to apply to some less competitive schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where would you suggest? I pretty much was counting on Texas, since I live here and my wife is an MD student here which is why I really only applied to very good programs outside of Texas. Then the residency laws not applying to people on scholarships blew that out of the water.

Where did you live before Texas? You have to be a resident somewhere (i.e. where you graduated high school or used to pay taxes).

Im being brutally honest, but you applied way too top heavy (esp w/ a sub 3.4 uGPA) and too late. IU, UNM, and UNC are all very unfriendly to OOS applicants. You'll prob get more interviews later but I wouldn't hold your breath on places like Harvard, WashU, Northwestern, and Columbia.

If you have a couple hundred bucks lying around and all you care about is being a doc, you can whip out a DO application really quick to cement your chances of starting next year.....or even just add some reasonable MD schools, that list is pretty top flight

I'm much more pessimistic because PhD courswork isn't viewed int he same light as UG or post-bac/SMP coursework that mimics medical school...ie DNA Methods, Journal Club and Research Seminars aren't the same as Anatomy/Physiology, Micro etc.

It's too late in the cycle right now. Try again for June '14 and aim for low-tiers only, and DO programs.

Where did you live before Texas? You have to be a resident somewhere (i.e. where you graduated high school or used to pay taxes).

Im being brutally honest, but you applied way too top heavy (esp w/ a sub 3.4 uGPA) and too late. IU, UNM, and UNC are all very unfriendly to OOS applicants. You'll prob get more interviews later but I wouldn't hold your breath on places like Harvard, WashU, Northwestern, and Columbia.