Nontraditional married couple and URMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pig_md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to prepare for my next steps.

I graduated with a degree in Biology back in 2004, and went to work for a health care software company.

Later I earned my MBA from a top business school (UVA-Darden), and now I work in financial services.

My #s are as follows:

BCP GPA: 3.41
Science GPA: 3.46
Non-Science GPA: 3.39
Overall: 3.44

My GPA only includes my original Biology coursework.

In Fall 2016 I completed Biochemistry and earned an A, and I am currently taking a molecular genetics course.

This week I received my MCAT scores:

Chem / Phys: 130
CARS: 131
Bio/ Biochem: 130
Psych /Soc: 127
Overall: 518 (97th percentile)

I am continuing to work full time and I now have "management experience under my belt."

I have put in the hours recently with volunteering and shadowing. Back in my undergraduate days I spent a summer at NIH and was even "published."

I am turning 35 this November and, I am trying to make the best of the entire application process. It's important to me to go to a school that has a reasonable quality of life and possibly opportunities for funding.

Also, I am an African American male and I haven't found many mentors. Any help is greatly appreciated. My wife is also applying, and we hope to attend the same school. Money is also a real issue given, 2 x the loans will be quite the burden.

My wife has a BA in Communications and her numbers are as follows:
GPA from undergrad: 3.83
GPA from past two years of science pre-reqs: 4.0 (also includes biochemistry)

Her MCAT is as follows:
Chem / Phys: 129
CARS: 129
Overall: 515 (94th percentile)

She is turning 28 this year and is also African American (born / raised in Jamaica).

Where should we apply? What should we be aware of? We are also open to any suggestions to explain the value of my life experience and future contribution to the matriculating class?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying as a couple is problematic even when both have similar scores, gpa and background. With each of your MCATs it looks like you are good candidates if somewhat non-traditional (plus the URM status adds a positive factor). The question is where to apply so you are together. Are you willing to be near each other (<1 hour away) and live somewhere in between or do you have to end up at the same school?

I would suggest applying where there are many schools so NY/NJ seems to be the first thing that comes to mind followed by DC, Boston and Florida perhaps Michigan or Texas. Then if one gets in Georgetown and the other into George Washington you could live in the same place.

Some couples have had success applying widely and hope to both get in at least one school that is acceptable to both. Then if one gets into a school and the other is, say, on the waitlist, the waitlist candidate could writes a letter to the dean of admissions and state that the would like to be together and voila! But this is anecdotal and seems like a long shot to me.

I graduated with a degree in Biology back in 2004, and went to work for a health care software company.

Later I earned my MBA from a top business school (UVA-Darden), and now I work in financial services.

My #s are as follows:

In Fall 2016 I completed Biochemistry and earned an A, and I am currently taking a molecular genetics course.

I am continuing to work full time and I now have "management experience under my belt."

I have put in the hours recently with volunteering and shadowing. Back in my undergraduate days I spent a summer at NIH and was even "published."

I am turning 35 this November and, I am trying to make the best of the entire application process. It's important to me to go to a school that has a reasonable quality of life and possibly opportunities for funding.

Also, I am an African American male and I haven't found many mentors. Any help is greatly appreciated. My wife is also applying, and we hope to attend the same school. Money is also a real issue given, 2 x the loans will be quite the burden.

Her MCAT is as follows:

She is turning 28 this year and is also African American (born / raised in Jamaica).

Where should we apply? What should we be aware of? We are also open to any suggestions to explain the value of my life experience and future contribution to the matriculating class?
The URM forum might be more helpful for the specific schools, but the world is your oyster. URMs, Non-trads with a LizzyM >70!
upload_2016-10-14_23-20-1.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would call the schools you are interested in and see if they have a couple's consideration during the application process. I believe both of you should get multiple acceptances so it shouldnt be a problem. I know for a fact that university of Miami even has the question on its secondary form.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies. Off to steps 5 through 500. ;)

Over the summer I reached out to Wakeforest and they explained that there was spot somewhere in their secondary application. Depending on time / budget, I'd like to visit a number of the schools before 2ndary applications.

University of Miami (FL) has a specific spot on their secondary for spousal / SO consideration. There is even a place to put the other's AAMC ID#.

Beyond that, I definitely echo the sentiment of looking at major med school hubs. Chicago has more than a few schools, and the cost of living is far cheaper than NYC.

Also, your guys' stats are baller. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting schools to provide significant merit-based aid!

Both of you are golden. Aim high.

My #s are as follows:

Her MCAT is as follows:

Reactions: 2 users
The URM forum might be more helpful for the specific schools, but the world is your oyster. URMs, Non-trads with a LizzyM >70!
View attachment 209891

Not everyone posts in the "URM forum", so it's good they posted here otherwise I (as a URM) wouldn't have responded to their post.

Anyhoo, I think the OP should seriously consider Texas, numerous med school options, good cost of living/great public school option in cities with/very near med schools, and most importantly, one of the cheapest tuition charges in the US, once you get residency.