Nontraditional MD/PhD Career Paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weawaaaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year MD/PhD graduate student and I feel that I'm in a mid-career crisis.

I originally came into my program gung-ho about academia and medicine. However, my first two years of medical school drained every ounce of interest in medicine. I appreciated the info that was taught but I was just so worn down by the exams and studying. I completely disliked my doctoring course - I don't think I'll enjoy heavy patient oriented care.

During my graduate phase, I joined a lab where the lab environment was supportive and the topic was at first very interesting to me. Now, even though the project is going fine, I've lost interest in my research and I think that I lack the passion I had when I first came in.

Even though I'm feeling all this, I am still committed to completing my degree and whatever residency I end up choosing, which I'm not sure what it'l be. I'm feeling pretty apathetic, drained, and lost at the moment. I'm not sure if I would want a career in academia or medicine.

I was wondering what other career paths there are for MD/PhDs outside the traditional MD/PhD roles like academia or medicine. Or perhaps any ideas on what I can do during my grad years to re-kindle my interest in academia or medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there- it's a long trek, and you are not the first to feel this way. I'm also guessing that your original med school class is finishing up and matching next month- that may have been the single most isolating time for me in the whole process. We started having "Un-Match" parties every year just for the MD/PhD students to commiserate!

I'm guessing you haven't done any clinical rotations yet. Are there any specialties that you are leaning towards? You should try to spend an afternoon every few weeks in a clinic (or ED or OR) of your choice just to feel things out. The key here is to spend time with a dynamic, student-friendly attending who loves to teach, and their enthusiasm will likely rub off on you! There's no constraints here- it can be any crazy subspecialty that has ever crossed your mind. Leprosy clinic, pedi cochlear implant surgeries, time with the medical examiner, whatever interests you.

This is also a good time to get more involved with your MD/PhD program- do students help with admissions and interviews? If so, this is a nice way to get perspective and recharge a little bit. And, hobbies! Grad school was my chance to run a few marathons.

As for career paths, I've met faculty here and there who have left for industry, but I'm still in residency myself and don't really know what's out there yet.

Hang in there! No one expects you to be crazy excited over every single tedious experiment or grant proposal. What you're describing is quite normal.

Strongly agreed! For careers in industry, there are several entry points, but most of them entry after 2-5 years of clinical and/or research experience in academic medicine. The point is to have credibility with physicians and/or scientists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly agreed! For careers in industry, there are several entry points, but most of them entry after 2-5 years of clinical and/or research experience in academic medicine. The point is to have credibility with physicians and/or scientists.
+1 on this. So many students think that finishing an MD/PhD makes them automatic candidates for a sweet industry job. If you want a good industry gig, and not just an MSL or Junior Scientist position, you need to have not just 2 or 3 years as an attending (after residency +/- fellowship of course) but really, a good 10 to 15 productive years in academics.

Even though I'm feeling all this, I am still committed to completing my degree and whatever residency I end up choosing, which I'm not sure what it'l be. I'm feeling pretty apathetic, drained, and lost at the moment. I'm not sure if I would want a career in academia or medicine.

If you hate medicine and science this much, consider dropping out. People do it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but you are probably 25 or 26 and could do just fine in many other lines of work.

That said, the middle of grad school is the worst. Get through it, then see how you like clinical medicine, which differs drastically from MS1-2. You might hate it even more, or love it. Or at least find a specialty or two you enjoy.

Don't let people pigeonhole you into either academia, private practice, or industry. There are a lot of things you can do with an MD PhD but because people are risk averse, they avoid. These include med tech startups, consulting, venture capital, health policy, government, hospital administration, and more. There are a lot of these jobs out there, and not a lot of people willing to jump off the residency-fellowship-attending train to apply for them.

weawaaaa --

Hang in there, most of us feel this way in grad school. It gets better.