Nontraditional Seeking Advice 3.81 24R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Menchie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been a long time lurker at SDN, and now I have decided to post, seeking advice!

I graduated 2 years ago from a big state west coast school. I took time off due to the death of multiple family members my senior year in a car accident. I took my MCAT right after this occurred in 2011, which was a MISTAKE (I know). I was immature and dumb and I have really grown and learned from my mistake and this experience.

Anyways. I applied to DO schools this cycle and was accepted to multiple schools. I am extremely appreciative of these acceptances and I put the payment down for one.

I am not by any means trying to start an MD vs DO thread. But my dream has been to attend my state school, not because its MD but because I love it and my current fiance just found out this week he got accepted and after losing multiple close family members, I value relationships and support.

I am not a person to do things for a check list like most premeds are, I value time and effort put into something I am interested in. However I do think I need to supplement my app in some way. Does any one have any advice?

Here are my ECs, stats:

White, Female Perm. Resident

Bio Major, Spanish and Pscyh Minors: 3.76 sgpa, 3.8 cgpa 24R (plan to retake in June, aiming for 30) Have only taken it once. Was scoring 27-30 on my aamcs. However I am older and can actually take time off to study.

-UG research: 4 years, 2 awards, 1 publication, 6 posters 3 abstracts
-currently Research Tech at an Ivy league full time 2 years: 2 pubs, edit: 4 abstractss, one nature paper just accepted

-I worked 30 hours a week waitressing during UG and still waitress on weekends.
-Represented my school as a honors research ambassador
-Shadowing: approximately 300 hours since 2010 multiple fields, MDs and DOs
-Did Hurricane Katrina Relief work the summer before UG
-Volunteered 2 hours a week for a year in a student run medical clinic in 2011
-Currently a girl scout leader for a troop at Shriner's Children Hospital 3 hours a week
-Currently a HS Chemistry, Physics, and History tutor, volunteering about 12 hours during the week night for 2 twins. It was a paid position but their parents couldn't really afford to pay, and I have really become fond of the kids and I have actually began to mentor them like a big sister ie if they get As on tests i take them to the movies etc.

Also in UG I was apart of the premed club, tribeta etc my problem during UG was that I had to work to pay for everything but my tuition and rent was expensive! so I waitressed like crazy whenever I could, in the summers I worked doubles all day everyday. I do think I lack alot of volunteer work

I definitely need to get that MCAT up. I have taken more UG classes through my job for free and have gotten all A's in them but I feel like I dont need to pursue a masters or anything!

Any Advice I would sincerely appreciate it!

Menchie
xoxo

Members don't see this ad.

Take the DO acceptance and run. You have no shot at MD right now so you would have to go through the stress of retaking the MCAT, and then there's still no guarantee and you lose your DO acceptance. Out of curiosity, which school did you get into?

I would try to defer the DO if I can. Not solely because i want to retake my mcat and apply to my state school. There is a part of me that still is worried that I may need another year off before med school.

A bird in the hand is.....

Hi Everyone!

I have been a long time lurker at SDN, and now I have decided to post, seeking advice!

I graduated 2 years ago from a big state west coast school. I took time off due to the death of multiple family members my senior year in a car accident. I took my MCAT right after this occurred in 2011, which was a MISTAKE (I know). I was immature and dumb and I have really grown and learned from my mistake and this experience.

Anyways. I applied to DO schools this cycle and was accepted to multiple schools. I am extremely appreciative of these acceptances and I put the payment down for one.

I am not by any means trying to start an MD vs DO thread. But my dream has been to attend my state school, not because its MD but because I love it and my current fiance just found out this week he got accepted and after losing multiple close family members, I value relationships and support.

I am not a person to do things for a check list like most premeds are, I value time and effort put into something I am interested in. However I do think I need to supplement my app in some way. Does any one have any advice?

Here are my ECs, stats:

White, Female Perm. Resident

Bio Major, Spanish and Pscyh Minors: 3.76 sgpa, 3.8 cgpa 24R (plan to retake in June, aiming for 30) Have only taken it once. Was scoring 27-30 on my aamcs. However I am older and can actually take time off to study.

-UG research: 4 years, 2 awards, 1 publication, 6 posters 3 abstracts
-currently Research Tech at an Ivy league full time 2 years: 2 pubs, edit: 4 abstractss, one nature paper just accepted

-I worked 30 hours a week waitressing during UG and still waitress on weekends.
-Represented my school as a honors research ambassador
-Shadowing: approximately 300 hours since 2010 multiple fields, MDs and DOs
-Did Hurricane Katrina Relief work the summer before UG
-Volunteered 2 hours a week for a year in a student run medical clinic in 2011
-Currently a girl scout leader for a troop at Shriner's Children Hospital 3 hours a week
-Currently a HS Chemistry, Physics, and History tutor, volunteering about 12 hours during the week night for 2 twins. It was a paid position but their parents couldn't really afford to pay, and I have really become fond of the kids and I have actually began to mentor them like a big sister ie if they get As on tests i take them to the movies etc.

Also in UG I was apart of the premed club, tribeta etc my problem during UG was that I had to work to pay for everything but my tuition and rent was expensive! so I waitressed like crazy whenever I could, in the summers I worked doubles all day everyday. I do think I lack alot of volunteer work

I definitely need to get that MCAT up. I have taken more UG classes through my job for free and have gotten all A's in them but I feel like I dont need to pursue a masters or anything!

Any Advice I would sincerely appreciate it!

Menchie
xoxo

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an expert, but judging from your maturity and gpa, you have potential for achievement. You should absolutely retake the mcat after extensive preparation, and get a great score. DO is a great option, but if it's simply not what you want, do not settle. You have an interesting story and application, and if you achieve a good score on your retake you can explain the first score to adcoms exactly like you did here. Good luck.

Take the DO acceptance. Getting MD with a great retake isn't impossible, but if you don't get it you'll regret not taking your acceptance for the rest of your life.

I only read the title, but retake the MCAT!