~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am 34, yes I said it 34. You guys are still young, I will be making my rounds with a walker!:)

If all goes well, I will start med school at 44. Which must mean that I will be rounding in a wheelchair;electric of course

Members don't see this ad.

If all goes well, I will start med school at 44. Which must mean that I will be rounding in a wheelchair;electric of course

I'll make sure the oxygen tank is full for the both of us! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
35 years old. (YIKES!!!)

By the time I start at PCOM next year I will be 36.

One wife. One daughter. One doggie. One dream.

Can't wait to start!!!!

My 51st birthday is next week. I started med school at 44. My med school graduation party also celebrated the high school graduation of my youngest and the college graduation and Navy commissioning of my middle kid. By the time I'd graduated from med school I'd also celebrated the **wedding** of my oldest kid.

I still don't feel old, although I sure wouldn't want to do intern year again. Looking forward to attending-dom in 6 months.

35 big ones. Married, no kids. Wife (26) in law school.

29, married, 3 kids...hope to start med school in 2.5 years

just turned 28, but look like im 18. I got my hair cut the other day and the lady cutting my hair asked what high school i was attending.

Crap...When I was 18 people thought I was 30. Now I'm 25 and have two more years of undergrad all over again (the *right* classes this time). when I'm out of residency at something like 34, they'll think I'm 80.

I'm glad to have a little bit of life experience in different career fields and think it will be of use to me later on down the road, as most all of you probably do, too.

26 here, with a spouse and an 8 month old daughter. We put our house on the market last month to get rid of some massive overhead and allow me to concentrate on school 100%.

I think I am about halfway done with prereq's, but still have about 120 units left to do on my BS (biotech).

Plan is to finish my degree, and hopefully start the application process in 08 or 09 (still learning how the whole timeline works).

Little more info about me in my 'new guy' post. Hi to the other non-trads out there, you folks who are farther along are an inspiration.

-FC

I'm 31 and an MS1 also.

Shy, I want you to know that you inspired me. I decided to bake muffins and cookies as gifts for some of my classmates and professors. One of my classmates says to me, "Q, I didn't know you could cook!" I told him, "Dude, I have a PhD in organic synthesis. Of COURSE I can cook!" :smuggrin:

:laugh:

I'm 32 and I refuse to refer to myself as an "old-timer." In fact, being back in school taking undergrad classes makes me feel MUCH younger than when I was in the corporate world working before I started this whole process. I just got in touch with two friends from a couple of years ago, and they are now married with kids. I swear, after telling them what I am doing (back in college), I was left with the observation that perhaps they've grown up and I've regressed. Hah. I think.

Anyway, happy that the kids in my classes don't think I'm any older than 23. Look forward to starting med school at the young age of 33, and I refuse to think of how old I'll be when I'm done with residency.

35. Happily married for 9 years. No kids. Have a great job...why am I doing this again?

I turned 26 on Monday. Sometimes I feel incredibly old, although it helps that most of the people taking the prereqs with me are a bit older than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
32 next month! Doing post-bacc.

I'm 32 and I refuse to refer to myself as an "old-timer."

Right on phoenix!! I will be 32 in Feb. Life is a journey, not a destination. Time is relentless, we are fleeting. Becoming a physician will not define me, rather, it is one part of the sequence of events that will constitute my short time on this earth. Time is, consequently, relative to perspective. Society has an unfortunate, skewed view of age.

And that is the end of our philosophy lecture for the day folks. Sorry, the holidays make me very introspective.

Happy holidays everyone!!

I'm 31 and an MS1 also.

Shy, I want you to know that you inspired me. I decided to bake muffins and cookies as gifts for some of my classmates and professors. One of my classmates says to me, "Q, I didn't know you could cook!" I told him, "Dude, I have a PhD in organic synthesis. Of COURSE I can cook!"

I have to tell ya, Q, my school in it's infinite wisdom decided to change their exam schedule to put our exams in two days. Yes, 7 exams in two consecutive days. It truly sucked. Needless to say, this is the first year EVER that my house doesn't have at least 13 different kinds of cookies baked by December 1. Heck, here it is December 23 and i still haven't baked anything yet (but in my defense, my exams were just over at 5:30 last night so today I stayed in my jammies as long as freekin' possible).

I gotta bake tomorrow.

Now as for the baking thing, that must be an organic PhD thing. My dad has a PhD in inorganic chem and can't cook if he was starving. He attempted pancakes once. They were black on the outside and when you cut them open, the insides poured out. He did the same thing with hotdogs. My mom was away at the time and we ate cold cheese, crackers, and fruit for an entire week. All this time I've been saying a chemist can't cook unless they do it over open flame and wait for an obvious chemical reaction to take place. Guess that only works for INorganic chemists! :laugh:

I have to tell ya, Q, my school in it's infinite wisdom decided to change their exam schedule to put our exams in two days. Yes, 7 exams in two consecutive days. It truly sucked. Needless to say, this is the first year EVER that my house doesn't have at least 13 different kinds of cookies baked by December 1. Heck, here it is December 23 and i still haven't baked anything yet (but in my defense, my exams were just over at 5:30 last night so today I stayed in my jammies as long as freekin' possible).

I gotta bake tomorrow.

Now as for the baking thing, that must be an organic PhD thing. My dad has a PhD in inorganic chem and can't cook if he was starving. He attempted pancakes once. They were black on the outside and when you cut them open, the insides poured out. He did the same thing with hotdogs. My mom was away at the time and we ate cold cheese, crackers, and fruit for an entire week. All this time I've been saying a chemist can't cook unless they do it over open flame and wait for an obvious chemical reaction to take place. Guess that only works for INorganic chemists! :laugh:
Glad you survived your exams; that schedule sounds absolutely brutal. :eek:

:laugh: about your dad. He obviously had the heat turned up too high. I think you're right. Cooking is an organic chemistry skill, not an inorganic chem skill. I mean, what is food besides a collection of organic molecules, you know? Organic things are sensitive to temperature and pH, so you have to treat them nicely. You learn pretty quickly not to cook the s*** out of stuff unless you really mean to turn it into charcoal. :smuggrin: Inorganic chemists work with metals and other stuff that can take more abuse, which is why they can get away with using much harsher reaction conditions. So seriously, working in lab was how I learned to cook. When I was in college, my idea of cooking was putting pasta into a tupperware container with water and microwaving it for 20 minutes. :p

I made pancakes today, ironically. I was out of milk, so I used yogurt instead, and they turned out quite well if I do say so myself: fluffy and a little sweeter. I recommend trying it if you haven't ever. I may use yogurt instead of milk from now on all the time.

Yogurt works quite well. Also try souring milk if you use that (just put a teaspoon or so of vinegar in the milk and let it sit for 30 minutes or so). Fool around with the baking soda/baking powder ratio. A little cinnamon is good... never got into the chocolate chips thing. Of course, I like crepes better than pancakes. Especially filled with fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mangoes... mmmmm... I'm getting hungry. Almost time to put the roast into the oven for lunch. C'mon over for lunch, Q! It'll be a feast! Stay for dinner - I'm making homemade chicken parmesan.

Maybe i'll make little hand pies of apple/pear with a nice medley of crushed raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans mixed in. wrapped in a nice cream cheese puff pastry dough.

I must be destressing. I wanna BAKE BAKE BAKE. (and then give it all away).

We are kindred souls. Last week I baked one batch of cookies and 4 batches of different types of brownies (decorated all-out for the holidays) and gave every last bit of it away.

Except for those which were sacrificed in the name of "quality assurance". :oops: :p

Yogurt works quite well. Also try souring milk if you use that (just put a teaspoon or so of vinegar in the milk and let it sit for 30 minutes or so). Fool around with the baking soda/baking powder ratio. A little cinnamon is good... never got into the chocolate chips thing. Of course, I like crepes better than pancakes. Especially filled with fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mangoes... mmmmm... I'm getting hungry. Almost time to put the roast into the oven for lunch. C'mon over for lunch, Q! It'll be a feast! Stay for dinner - I'm making homemade chicken parmesan.

Maybe i'll make little hand pies of apple/pear with a nice medley of crushed raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans mixed in. wrapped in a nice cream cheese puff pastry dough.

I'm drooling all over my keyboard. What time is lunch? :D

25 when I start in the fall...

Though I feel much older when I have the urge to beat my 18 yr old classmates with my cane everytime they say something inane in class. :laugh:

We are kindred souls. Last week I baked one batch of cookies and 4 batches of different types of brownies (decorated all-out for the holidays) and gave every last bit of it away.

Except for those which were sacrificed in the name of "quality assurance". :oops: :p
*waits patiently by mailbox*

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooking is an organic chemistry skill, not an inorganic chem skill. I mean, what is food besides a collection of organic molecules, you know?

does this mean that since i'm a good cook, i'll have an easy time with organic chemistry? ;)

whew!! what a bunch of geezers! haha...i'm hoping to be in med school by time i'm 34. seriously though, this is a great motivator to see so many non-trads going for it. best of luck to everyone.

43=4 kids (20,18, away at school, and 15,&13) 2 cats and one very helpful husband who has taken over so I can live near school during the week. OMS 1 and also going for the MPH that my school throws in for their med students ( night class). This has been a great eperience one that i am enjoying to the fullest ... slice and bake cookies in my house this Christmas.

Interesting thought. I love to cook AND bake, and I found organic I easier than I'd expected it to be... I'll let you know how that translates to II when I finish it in May. :D

please do, since i won't be taking it until the fall :)

We need to have an SDN non-trad bake-over. Who wants to get together, and what is the your signature specialty that you will bring? Mine would either be rhubarb pie (although I haven't made it in forever) or maybe Southwestern pizza. I'm quasi-vegetarian, so I make the pizza with black beans and not chicken, but it's fantastic. When I used to have more time, I made the crust from scratch too, but lately I've been cheating and using pre-made crust. :oops:

There's a Gooey Butter Cake sitting downstairs waiting for tomorrow's brunch.. I've never made it before, so if it turns out well, that'll be my entry. :D

(LOOK at all that sugar!!! We're so going to be wired. :hardy: )

Bringing this thread back on-topic (slightly), do you think adcoms would take a bribe in the form of baked goods? :confused:

Hmm. I don't know about "signature dish" but tonight I made a KILLER batch of eggnog (cooked). With Napoleon bourbon and Courvasier (sp?) cognac. It was so delicious warm it oughta be illegal. And i'm havin' a hard time typing after a cup of that stuff. :laugh:

Oh, Q? The roast was fabulous. The chicken parmesan is waiting for cooking tomorrow. (homemade sauce, too). But I definitely think the eggnog was the best thing out of my kitchen today. :D

Hmm. I don't know about "signature dish" but tonight I made a KILLER batch of eggnog (cooked). With Napoleon bourbon and Courvasier (sp?) cognac. It was so delicious warm it oughta be illegal. And i'm havin' a hard time typing after a cup of that stuff. :laugh:

Oh, Q? The roast was fabulous. The chicken parmesan is waiting for cooking tomorrow. (homemade sauce, too). But I definitely think the eggnog was the best thing out of my kitchen today. :D
Sigh, I love egg nog. But it's so bad for you....Do those of you in med school find that you're thinking more about what these foods will do to you as you learn more about it? I thought it was bad when we talked about dissecting aortic aneurysms....those pictures seriously gave me nightmares for a week. But I'm not at high risk for a dissecting aortic aneurysm, so I think the worst was learning about coronary artery disease. Everyone in this country is at high risk for that. The guy was showing us pictures of plaques from a 32-year-old woman's arteries and telling us that even if 32 seems far away now, it is only a few more years until we reach that point. I'm going, GULP. Try a few more MONTHS. :eek: Med school is seriously ruining half the pleasure I get from eating anything good. :smuggrin: Well, on the bright side, at least I can still make things for other people who are blissfully ignorant about how eating this stuff is slowly killing them. :laugh:

Oh, Q, look at it this way: you could die happy of heart disease or you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and die after depriving yourself of goodies. NOW that's not to say you should binge constantly... but every once in a while isn't bad for you at all and does wonders for your happiness level. :) It's like chocolate or wine. good for you in small doses. Bad for you if you have too much of it.

As for the 32 thing... i passed that a while ago.. um.. I mean... I've seen it go by more than once... um... oh, hell. I refuse to celebrate birthdays anymore - I just have anniversaries of 29. And I've had more than 3 anniversaries of 29. ;)

28 and after working all day with 24yo residents I feel like an antique!

Oh, Q, look at it this way: you could die happy of heart disease or you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and die after depriving yourself of goodies. NOW that's not to say you should binge constantly... but every once in a while isn't bad for you at all and does wonders for your happiness level. :) It's like chocolate or wine. good for you in small doses. Bad for you if you have too much of it.

As for the 32 thing... i passed that a while ago.. um.. I mean... I've seen it go by more than once... um... oh, hell. I refuse to celebrate birthdays anymore - I just have anniversaries of 29. And I've had more than 3 anniversaries of 29. ;)
You know, I've seen enough patients who have heart disease already to know that they DON'T die very happily. Suffering from years of angina only to drop dead with no warning doesn't sound like the greatest way to go to me....I'd rather drown in your egg nog or something. Wouldn't THAT be the way to go!!! :p

28 and after working all day with 24yo residents I feel like an antique!
Don't feel bad, Biobabe. A few of my classmates and I were talking to a resident and he was mentioning an 80s TV show. Then he said, "not that any of you will remember the 80s." And I told him, "Not only do I remember them, I'm older than you are." He didn't believe me, but sure enough, he was only 28. ;)

34 and lovin' it. extra initials by '12. book it!!;)

24...will be 25 in less than 5 months...on the day the mexicans celebrate their defeat of the French

will be 26 when I matriculate

I'm 31, applying this cycle, class of 20(whenever they let me in+4). All of this talk about food has made me very hungry! I can cook most things, but don't have to that much because my husband is a former chef. My specialty is trying to put chocolate into almost anything I actually do cook....chocolate chip pancakes, chocolate "croissants" (crescent rolls with chocolate chips baked inside); and my favorite, getting a triple chocolate box of brownie mix and choclifying that some more.

Oh, and to the person who joked that cats don't interfere (I have 4), you have to hear this: My mom bought cat toys and treats for my cats again this year (she has 4 as well). I didn't know she let her cats play with the giant gift bag our stuff came in. Our cats all prefer to hang out in our bedroom since it is one of the safest places, far away from the 2-year-old and 3-year-old boys we have. So on Christmas I spread treats out on the bed, got out the catnip toys, and left the giant gift bag on its side for them to play with (handles cut of course because yes they will try to stick their heads through it). I came back to check on them and someone had peed in the giant gift bag! *Merry Christmas! Thanks for the presents and here's what we think of them. Better change your bedding before you even attempt to crash after a long day. Signed, your loving cats.* Remember behind every cute, playful little kitten's eyes is the will to dominate your home!

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and wish you a wonderful coming year with acceptances to your school of choice!

Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!

I always love this reasoning! It works for me. I am 34 now and when I graduate from Dental school in 2012 I will be 39, going on 40. Oops, I'm in the wrong forum!:laugh:

Then he said, "not that any of you will remember the 80s."

Ummmm...I was there for the 80's, but I really don't remember much about them. I was going through my first tour of undergrad duty at the time. People who were there with me say that I had a damned good time, though. I tend to believe them. Thank God there were no camera phones back then!!!;)

Ummmm...I was there for the 80's, but I really don't remember much about them. I was going through my first tour of undergrad duty at the time. People who were there with me say that I had a damned good time, though. I tend to believe them. Thank God there were no camera phones back then!!!;)
I was in middle school by the mid eighties. So I'm old enough to remember them, but too young to have spent them intoxicated. ;)

Well the only songs I know are from the 80's...! Unless you count show tunes and classical music.. (now THAT'S old!!) :laugh:
BTW, I'm contributing to this bake-off, too, just have to decide what.