~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think I've posted here before.

I'm 24, married, no kids now, but hopefully will have one in the next 1-2 years.

I'm hoping to matriculate in 2015, when I will be 26.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm bumping this because it's a really great pick me up to go back and see all of the people saying "i'll be x if I get in" and then notice their status now says attending or resident or med student :cool:

I'm bumping this because it's a really great pick me up to go back and see all of the people saying "i'll be x if I get in" and then notice their status now says attending or resident or med student :cool:

I am 25 now and will mostly likely be 29 when I enter if all works out and I get accepted for 2017. And I love when I read older posts and I see the person is a medical student or beyond!

Members don't see this ad :)
36 now and I'll be 37 if I get in for 2014!

23, spent 5.5 years in the Army trying to establish myself. I am glad I did. I will be 25 when I apply to MS

Really love this thread :love:

I'm 30.. Applied this cycle and have gotten crickets thus far.. Facing the prospects of GPA repair and possibly an MCAT retake which will delay the dream even longer and something about being 30 makes me feel like my old ass life is over as a result!!!

Really inspirational to see other older folks getting it done.. Especially those with kids! You guys rock!!!!

I'm 26 and will be starting pre-reqs in the winter. Hoping to apply in 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applaud you! I am 49 studying for my mcat and will be taking it in early 2014. Again , congratulations!!

spencer

27, unmarried, no kids, If all goes well, I will be btw 28-30 when I will matriculate *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Im 43, just finshing up the last two science pre-reqs I needed. I have not taken the MCAT yet, Im just hoping I can get in and get done before the world blows up.

I'm 27 at the moment. By the time I finish my prerequisites and apply, I will be around 31 or 32. I'm aiming to apply to a DO program in the US. I graduated with an arts degree so I have a fair bit of work to do before I even write the MCAT.

Cheers

I'm 38 now. I hope to be in med school at 39. Thanks for all the over 40's posting. Makes me feel less like I'll be the "old" person in class. ;)

Thirty four here. In school with a bunch of people who have never had to rewind a cassette tape, and don't remember what it's like to walk straight up to the gate at the airport without having to take your coat and shoes off.

Taking orgo 2, genetics, and cell bio + orgo lab and bio lab. I volunteer as a paramedic on the weekends.

I'm falling behind... Not sure how to catch up. It's like running in a sand treadmill.
I need 6 hours per class three days a week at least to study, and I just can't find it.

I'm hoping to apply by 2015 but I still have the bio and orgo series plus some extras (upper levels) to show that I can handle "rigor." I graduated with nursing so none of the pre-reqs overlapped :(

Last edited:
We haven't posted one of these in a while. It will be fun.
How old are u? Married? Kids? Work? When are you gonna apply? Dream school?
Let's play! (If you less than 27, you cannot post until after you finish your milk and cookies )
I'll go first.
I'm 39, married with a wife and 4 kids. Full-time job (about 50 hrs/wk). I usually take 8-9 credits/semester. Will apply in the 2017-2018 cycle (class of 2022). I'll be 42 when I matriculate. Dream school is Wake Forest.

Last edited:
So, there is a thread (maybe two) like this already in Nontrad. One of them was 20+ pages and it might be cool to add onto that one instead. It was really neat to go back through some of the older replies and see all of the people whose statuses had changed to med student, resident, and attending. Don't have time to search for it right now, but maybe someone else can find it and revitalize it for us to add to?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. I remember that one. It's a good idea to just add to it. I remember posting there.
I was thinking about our new nontrads, and totally forgot about the old post.
Thanks, Wholeheartedly.

Plan on being ready by the time I'm 32. In debt (sallie mae), 2.86gpa, never finished undergrad, full time job, fortunately single and able to put away $2k cash money a month.

EMT. Going to "normal" college for the first time ever beginning in January. Torn between undergrad major of Behavior/Neuro, or Biological Sciences. Will be 33-34 by the time I can apply to med school. No kids. Long-term girlfriend. Dream school is UNC Chapel Hill. Nice to know I'm not alone in the age department!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
40, Wife and 3 kids (two that have pretty severe autism). Army veteran (former EMT/Lab Tech), currently work 70+ hrs a week but I co-founded the company so I can work however much I want really. Restarting school in the spring under the academic fresh start in order to jettison one bad semester from 22 years ago, lol. Current cGPA 3.93, sGPA 4.0. I need basically two years to do my prereq's so I guess I'll be applying ~ 2018. Dream schools at are UT Southwestern and UNT HSC (TCOM) so I don't have to move :)

Reactions: 3 users
This is fun, I'll Join.

28 end of this year, Wife, 2 kids (both under 2 years). Registered Nurse for over 4 years. Plan on applying in 2017/2018. I don't have a dream school, but will be applying heavily to DO schools when the time comes.

so I don't have to move :)

There will be a new MD school in Fort Worth, planning to admit its first class for the 2018-19 academic year, and I believe A&M lets you do years 2-4 in Dallas. Hopefully that gives you some more options to avoid/limit moving.

40, Wife and 3 kids (two that have pretty severe autism). Army veteran (former EMT/Lab Tech), currently work 70+ hrs a week but I co-founded the company so I can work however much I want really. Restarting school in the spring under the academic fresh start in order to jettison one bad semester from 22 years ago, lol. Current cGPA 3.93, sGPA 4.0. I need basically two years to do my prereq's so I guess I'll be applying ~ 2018. Dream schools at are UT Southwestern and UNT HSC (TCOM) so I don't have to move :)
I have a daughter that has development delays (no firm diagnosis yet). I think about her all the time. It can be challenging sometimes.
Wake Forest is 20 min from home. It will be perfect not having to move. My chances of getting in are "when pigs fly". sGPA 2.5, URM. D.O. is my only chance. with retakesI can pump that up to 3.0+.

26. Nurse for the past 4 years. Did a DIY-postbac somewhere in those four years (it is all a haze at this point..). Starting MD school in 2016! Hang in there guy's there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Me too. Do you have gpa issues like me?

Correct! My cGPA: 3.06, sGPA: 3.67
The reasoning for the low gpa is because of the F's I've acquired in my first college semester (A bunch of lower GE classes). I do plan on retaking those courses if I do not get in the first cycle.

Correct! My cGPA: 3.06, sGPA: 3.67
The reasoning for the low gpa is because of the F's I've acquired in my first college semester (A bunch of lower GE classes). I do plan on retaking those courses if I do not get in the first cycle.
Dang. You are nothing like me. Your sGPA of 3.67 is great. I'll never achieve that. Good luck to you.

Fifty ... cough, sputter, SMILE, 1. Never married, 2 children (one living, one not), 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 horse rescue (Percheron; all 2300 lbs of him; I claim him as a tax deduction!!!)

had something like 42 Fs, followed up by 20+ W's and maybe an assorted D+ or C- or C+ for those 42 and 20 which were repeats of themselves and gosh, I do not even remember taking those classes, let alone the repeats!!!

AMCAS was not fun. 8 pages of Badddddddddddd/terrible grades. Kicked in the gut. Almost quit. Again. But then... those were from 1986. 2015? near 4.0... just need a little BIG MCAT score and maybe, I'll fit in. Somewhere. Someone will show me some love. I hope.

Former VP $2B company (internal audit - reported to Board), I mingle now with clients and help them do whatever. I'm a fixer.

35, RN and EMT, ex-several other things. After giving up on school over a decade ago with a 2.71 cGPA, dragged it up by its hair to 3.28 over almost 150 new credits. That while working two jobs. Also URM.

Successful MD cycle, won't go into all of it but my MD Apps is here (not fully detailed atm as I got lazy but schools are up to date) http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=29570

There are so many variables including your MCAT and how well-crafted that "story of you" is, and right now before you've even started your trek it's hard to see that. Get 'er done, spare no effort, then when you've got your final numbers, experiences, and MCAT you can see where you stand. Nothing is guaranteed but this road can be full of surprises, especially as you get more information on schools and what less-than-obvious things they may be looking for that you just might have.

I have a daughter that has development delays (no firm diagnosis yet). I think about her all the time. It can be challenging sometimes.
Wake Forest is 20 min from home. It will be perfect not having to move. My chances of getting in are "when pigs fly". sGPA 2.5, URM. D.O. is my only chance. with retakesI can pump that up to 3.0+.

Well, u could always move to Texas and then u get the benefit of academic fresh start :) Without it my cGPA drops to the 3.57 range.

31 years old, married, no kids. Just started a formal post-bacc program. I plan to apply in 2017 & hopefully matriculate in 2018. I'll be 34 then. Dream school is NYU.

35, RN and EMT, ex-several other things. After giving up on school over a decade ago with a 2.71 cGPA, dragged it up by its hair to 3.28 over almost 150 new credits. That while working two jobs. Also URM.

Successful MD cycle, won't go into all of it but my MD Apps is here (not fully detailed atm as I got lazy but schools are up to date) http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=29570
You are our Rockstar this year. Very happy for you ☺

Well, u could always move to Texas and then u get the benefit of academic fresh start :) Without it my cGPA drops to the 3.57 range.
I have no idea what are you talking about. what's in Texas?

had something like 42 Fs, followed up by 20+ W's and maybe an assorted D+ or C- or C+ for those 42 and 20 which were repeats of themselves and gosh, I do not even remember taking those classes, let alone the repeats!!!
Me too. I have a truck load of W's (I think maybe 24 of them) and I have maybe 6 or 7 F's.
I'm more worried about the W's, though.

33, accepted a couple weeks ago, feel rudderless without something to obsessively worry about so I think I chose the right life path. Otherwise, just doopdeedooing along.

Reactions: 2 users
I have said this a million times since being accepted and will probably continue to say this. If I had to start all over and go the end of the line, I would.

I have no idea what are you talking about. what's in Texas?

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/texasAcFrshStrt.html

TLDR;

Basically Texas passed a law that says you can choose a "fresh start." If you attend a public university, you can choose to throw out all grades > 10 years old. By law, state schools are prohibited from using those old grades to calculate your GPA. Since all medical schools in Texas are public except Baylor, it means Texas residents really can get a fresh start toward a high GPA for med school.

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/texasAcFrshStrt.html

TLDR;

Basically Texas passed a law that says you can choose a "fresh start." If you attend a public university, you can choose to throw out all grades > 10 years old. By law, state schools are prohibited from using those old grades to calculate your GPA. Since all medical schools in Texas are public except Baylor, it means Texas residents really can get a fresh start toward a high GPA for med school.

lol. As if Texans needed anymore help with the med school admissions process with their in state schools.

Im about to move to Texas. lol

24, recently engaged, no kids (or any intentions of having them), graduated in 2013 with a degree in comm studies. 3.185 cGPA, 2.1 sGPA. Only taken 21 hours worth of science courses. Just recently got into Pitt for my second bachelors degree. Will be "pursuing" a biology degree to get my prereqs in, just going for my second bachelors to get more financial aid and to get first dibs on classes.

Work in hospice currently and will have roughly 5-6k of clinical hours once I apply. Dream school is Pitt, but since I know that won't happen, I'm looking at LECOM seton hill as my fiancé can't move for his work. Lucky enough that my fiancé has pushed me to pursue my dreams of becoming a doctor and is 100% willing to support me while I'm in school. Plan is to apply in 2017 and matriculate 2018.

Fifty ... cough, sputter, SMILE, 1. Never married, 2 children (one living, one not), 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 horse rescue (Percheron; all 2300 lbs of him; I claim him as a tax deduction!!!)

AMCAS was not fun. 8 pages of Badddddddddddd/terrible grades. Kicked in the gut. Almost quit. Again. But then... those were from 1986. 2015? near 4.0... just need a little BIG MCAT score and maybe, I'll fit in. Somewhere. Someone will show me some love. I hope.

Former VP $2B company (internal audit - reported to Board), I mingle now with clients and help them do whatever. I'm a fixer.

@Ad2b : 4 dogs! Ad2b, another with multiples :thumbup: OK, I am seriously jealous about the horse.

Your story is awesome and inspiring. You have got to get some love there with that! :)

Listen, I sent you a PM a week or so ago. IDK if your settings are on to receive PMs.

Very inspiring non-trad!

Yeah. I remember that one. It's a good idea to just add to it. I remember posting there.
I was thinking about our new nontrads, and totally forgot about the old post.
Thanks, Wholeheartedly.
Not to get off track but every time someone says this I wonder about it. Isn't it nice to just have a fresh thread once in a while? It just freshens the conversation up. Besides, it can be time consuming searching for an appropriate thread to post in every time someone wants to discuss something that is not in the first two pages. The forums would die off if we only kept old threads going. Just my two cents :)

Anyway, I am 29, one kid, full time employed, married, not sure about my app date yet. Dream schools would be an in-state school (or a nearby state) so I don't have to relocate.

Not to get off track but every time someone says this I wonder about it. Isn't it nice to just have a fresh thread once in a while? It just freshens the conversation up. Besides, it can be time consuming searching for an appropriate thread to post in every time someone wants to discuss something that is not in the first two pages. The forums would die off if we only kept old threads going. Just my two cents :)

Anyway, I am 29, one kid, full time employed, married, not sure about my app date yet. Dream schools would be an in-state school (or a nearby state) so I don't have to relocate.
You are right. But the cool thing about digging old posts is that you get the opinions of current and past members. also, you see what some of our current nontrads who are med students and doctors now said when they were in our shoes. Sometimes they chime in with new perspective other than the one they had when they were pre-meds (sometimes completely opposite to what they said when they were premeds ). They are older and wiser now.

Middle age and living in Texas because I finally decided to take the advice I've been given premeds for YEARS. Move to a state that: 1) Has "cheap" in state tuition" and 2) Has a LOT of medical schools. In fact, two more have opened up since I moved here! ;)

The other option was Florida but I'm so glad I chose Texas!

Yeeeee-haaaaaaawwwwww!!!:)