~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the same page with you, DrMikeP! I feel absolutely fantastic in body, mind, and heart. Not one bit embarrassed or apologetic about my age.

Most of the things people want to do when they retire, I have already done. If I died today, I have had an absolutely incredible life; but at 55, it seems like I have decades of high caliber service left in me!

Retirement does not sound appealing to me either. I want to take my last breath, absolutely spent, with not one ounce of energy left to give to this world.

Best of luck on your journey! Four months in now, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MED SCHOOL!! Headed over to the hospital right now to dissect a brachial plexus!! No place I'd rather be!

FWIW, you guys give me a lot of hope that I can do this no matter how long it takes to get there. I know I'm still young, but I've felt a ton of stress about just abandoning my interest in med school because I've already *chosen* a legal career and I should just suck it up and stick with it. Knowing that people are brave enough to switch/start new journeys, especially journeys as intense as med school, at 30, 40, 50+ years old gives me confidence too. So thanks! Cannot wait to hear updates once everyone is accepted and starts school and goes through intern and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
On the same page with you, DrMikeP! I feel absolutely fantastic in body, mind, and heart. Not one bit embarrassed or apologetic about my age.

Most of the things people want to do when they retire, I have already done. If I died today, I have had a truly incredible life; but at 55, it seems like I have decades of high caliber service left in me!
Retirement does not sound appealing to me either. I want to take my last breath, absolutely spent, with not one ounce of energy left to give to this world.

Best of luck on your journey! Four months in now, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MED SCHOOL!! Headed over to the hospital right now to dissect a brachial plexus!! No place I'd rather be!

I work as a medical psychologist in the hospital now and there is no place I feel more at home at than when I'm seeing patients. There truly is just something about that feel that makes you know it was all worth it. All the best!

FWIW, you guys give me a lot of hope that I can do this no matter how long it takes to get there. I know I'm still young, but I've felt a ton of stress about just abandoning my interest in med school because I've already *chosen* a legal career and I should just suck it up and stick with it. Knowing that people are brave enough to switch/start new journeys, especially journeys as intense as med school, at 30, 40, 50+ years old gives me confidence too. So thanks! Cannot wait to hear updates once everyone is accepted and starts school and goes through intern and residency.

I've learned that you can do absolutely almost anything you want bad enough. I used my career in med psych to support me through pre med courses and it was a huge plus during interviews. Even if you stick with a legal career for a while you can still go back, so enjoy the ride. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
43, not quite there yet. I was hoping to make my undergrad application to Archaeology this year for 2016 entry but ****ty life stuff got in the way so that's been put on hold until I can apply for next intake. So I'll probably start my undergrad degree at 44, that will run for 3 years at which point I'll be 47 when I apply for post grad entry into Medicine, if I get in that'll be another 4 years study, 2 years as an RMO, plus 5 years for the fellowship I want to complete, making me 58 by the time I'm qualified in the area I want to work (Psychiatry, although my first choice was Emergency Medicine - unfortunately I simply don't have the physical capacity for it).

Reactions: 5 users
28, currently a therapist working with kids in an early childhood and elementary school. I'm single with no kids, but help care for a niece and nephew.
I started this summer on pre-reqs, so I'll likely be 30-31 before I start medical school (if I am accepted).

Last edited:
The joyous thing about being a nontrad, is that you bring in personal/professional life experiences and use it to benefit yourself and others. Just had to add that in :D.

I'll be 29 when I start next year. Feels young around these parts, but age is just a number!

31 so after applying, I'll hopefully be attending at 33.

My favorite part about being this age is that no one asks, "what are you interested in? where do you want to apply?" but rather asserts, "OMG yur a a lady and BABIEZZ you'll never be able to raise KIDS in medical school!1!!1!" I don't want kids so I thank them for the advice and continue studying for the MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
31 so after applying, I'll hopefully be attending at 33.

My favorite part about being this age is that no one asks, "what are you interested in? where do you want to apply?" but rather asserts, "OMG yur a a lady and BABIEZZ you'll never be able to raise KIDS in medical school!1!!1!" I don't want kids so I thank them for the advice and continue studying for the MCAT.

I can't even tell you how many of my female PGY-1's have babies. And I think, "ARE YOU CRAZY!?!!" Probably cuz being a resident is so exhausting I barely take care of myself :p

Good luck w/ the process

I'm 28 as well. Will be 29 when I start medical school next year.

Reactions: 1 user
28 currently back in school to finish my bio degree. Hopefully I can apply in 3-4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 34 and am currently an MS1. Should be ~41 by the time I finish my residency. lol

Reactions: 3 users
27, Business undergrad, career as a firefighter paramedic. I'm quitting everything and moving back in with my parents to complete an accelerated post bacc. I hope to apply for the '19 cycle.

I'll be 30 this month and hoping to finish before I'm 40.

36 when I start next fall!

I'm 24 and If I stay on track I will be in medical school when I'm 28 or 29.

I'll be 25 a month from today! If all goes as planned, I'll be 28/29 when I start medical school. I still feel like such a youngin' (probably because I am!).
Best of luck to everyone :D

Stated med school in early 40's, wasn't even sure if I was going to finish med school then. Now, only 4.5 months left until I graduate. Time does fly. With reasonable expectation of myself, med school has been totally doable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 9 users
Stated med school in early 40's, wasn't even sure if I was going to finish med school then. Now, only 4.5 months left until I graduate. Time does fly. With reasonable expectation of myself, med school has been totally doable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
What an inspiration! I'll be starting at 44 in August. Can I ask what specialty you are pursuing and how you made your decision?

An update for the SDN'ers who have messaged and asked me to keep you posted on the 55-year-old MS1 journey: Today, one semester down, seven to go! I am officially 1/8 of the way to MD! I love medical school and there's no place I'd rather be. It is AWESOME. Super hard work, but not as hard as parenting teenagers or a toddler and a newborn, or building a rock solid 27-year marriage, or a host of other past chapters.

The academic aspect is fascinating. Seeing the inner workings of a real human body is an extraordinarily exciting privilege. Even learning the new "language" is cool. I have had no problem whatsoever keeping up, and for the parts of the training for which I get personal feedback, they said I am functioning far beyond what would be expected of a first-year medical student.

Unexpectedly, my favorite part of med school is my new peer group. They are everything I look for in relationships--wicked smart and quick- witted, funny, fun, genuinely good and giving people. Relentless work ethic. We work hard and play equally hard. I honestly feel lucky to know them, and I would not have if it weren't for being in med school!

They have accepted and made me feel completely welcome and comfortable. I know this is a concern for many older returning students. As an example, the other night after a massive exam, we went to do karaoke. When I stepped into the place, they cheered and spontaneously made a human tunnel for me to walk through lol. Hopefully, this paints an encouraging picture for you that it is completely possible to not only fit in, but actually enjoy the much younger classmates.

So in a nutshell...so far, so good :)

Reactions: 12 users
^ very inspiring, @it'sabeautifullife. I'm 41 with 4 pre-reqs to go. I'll be 44 when I start. So far, things have been nothing but positive with my young-adult college-peers. They've always treated me well and likewise I. Never felt out of place... Hope for the same during MS years.

Reactions: 4 users
41 and finishing up my last 6 months of my fellowship. Looking forward to being able to see my family more than just on weekends.

Chooks

29 now. Came to this thread to calm my panic and it was so worth it. My. People. lol
I should be 32 yrs old when I matriculate.

Just logged back in after being away from SDN for 3 years! I made a post when I was 24 how I would be in med school by like 27. Im 28 and now revisiting the idea of becoming a physician after letting life hit me again! Almost done with my bachelors in management though, and after i knockout the prereqs to med school should be able to apply at 30 or 31.....man been a pre med student so long I would be doing a residency in pre med by now!

This thread is old, but I'll still chime in. I'm 32 now and am applying for an enlisted to physician program that is essentially a structured post-bacc. So if I get in, I'll be applying in the 2018 cycle to matriculate in 2019, at the age of 35. Woo. Old AF.

Reactions: 2 users
35 - just started my 2nd year. don't let age stop you.

34 just resuming premed and MCAT studies with my eyes set on the 2018 app cycle. I've been chasing this dream for 7 years on and off. I work full-time, just got divorced and I'm a single mom. Not stopping till I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

34 just resuming premed and MCAT studies with my eyes set on the 2018 app cycle. I've been chasing this dream for 7 years on and off. I work full-time, just got divorced and I'm a single mom. Not stopping till I get there.

Keep on Truckin!...I started med school age 30, 13 years later-(which included 7 years of residency/fellowship), I am content with my decision...

Reactions: 5 users
I'm 39 and changing courses. My children are older 20, 16, 14, and 14. Husband is a pharmacist. I have 5 pre-requisites that I need to take. I'm going to be older either way. I have 2 mentors that both went to medical school in their 40's after other careers in healthcare.

I'm 26 right now, and will be 31 when I apply and 32 when I matriculate. (I think. Plan's not solid yet, lol. It could be 30 and 31.) Looking to apply probably in 2021.

I'm 25 starting college in Fall, first generation college student. I posted about my GPA in the below 3.0 thread.

Probably gonna graduate in 2022 (might be taking a break after getting my associates to wait for texas fresh start) and if I can get all pre-req and stuff done before 2021 I might apply and go straight through with out a gap year or not who knows.

Dream school is Baylor or McGovern in Houston. Maybe UTMB or A&M. Those are all within' driving distance for my husbands job but I would apply to all Tx schools.

Turning 26 in a couple of weeks and will be starting med school in the Fall!

31, will have just turned 32 the week prior to starting school this summer!

Honestly wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm 39 and changing courses. My children are older 20, 16, 14, and 14. Husband is a pharmacist. I have 5 pre-requisites that I need to take. I'm going to be older either way.

Exactly! You are going to age no matter what you do, so you might as well do what you want to do in life and enjoy it.

Never let anyone tell you what you can do.

Gopher it girl!

Last edited:
Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,

I'm 37 and I hope to be applying by 39.

@ShyRem , what advice can you give fore my journey. I have an MS (3.4) dual BS (gpa 2.89) and my sciences are over 10 years old. Looking at starting over prereqs this summer. How did you get your letters of rec, did you volunteer, shadow, etc?

Thanks

I'm 36, married with 3 kids (19, 11, and6) and currently a paramedic/RN. I'll be applying next summer. I can't wait to get the MCAT out of the way this year!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using SDN mobile

25-27 while doing a formal post bacc

29 during 1st application cycle

31 currently, reapplicant in 2nd cycle--and on 2 waitlists!:hello:

I'm 33, married for 10 years with two kids 9 and 3. I plan to apply in two years and matriculate when I am 36.