~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
45 year old M1 here.
Husband, three dogs, and a cat.
VERY happy to be in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am only 24 do I still qualify to be a non-trad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 28 and very happy to be starting med school this fall. :D

It's so inspiring to know that I will have classmates who are closer to my age than fresh out of college...I don't feel so old anymore.

But am I the only one who is not married...with no kids...and no pets? Darn...I was hoping to meet many single non-trads in med school ;)

Out of the mouths of babes. My daughter hit me with that one not too long ago. I am 37 and will turn 38 six weeks after starting med school at UASOM (woohoo!!!). I have a husband, two kids and a bunch of friends who keep asking me if I have lost my mind. I keep trying to tell them that if I wasn't doing this, then I would lose my mind!

And as for feeling old, I had lab partners calling me "ma'am" in my post-bacc chem lab until I threatened them that I wouldn't do most of the work anymore if they didn't cut that out. That put an end to that. Also had a group of youngsters ask me to buy their beer for them for Homecoming weekend. Very nice!

On the bright side, my husband and I like to joke that I am better accessorized than my younger counterparts. You tend to have a little more jewelry when you have been married for 12 years.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't go back at all. OK, maybe I would like to have the skin of a 22 year old, but that is about it. Bring it on, I say! (and keep the Advil handy) :p

'Only' 22, 1st year of med school in the netherlands. Most of the kids are 18 or 19, but the age gap hasn't been obvious. Except for a couple of moments, when they discuss the newest pop songs or what-ever-kind-of movie-hype. Then I feel like I'm definitely from another generation.

I'm 23.....my age isn't really non-trad, but I'm a career changer (3 years in nursing this Spring).

I'm 25 and if all goes well, I'll be 27 when I start med school.

My 51st birthday is next week. I started med school at 44. My med school graduation party also celebrated the high school graduation of my youngest and the college graduation and Navy commissioning of my middle kid. By the time I'd graduated from med school I'd also celebrated the **wedding** of my oldest kid.

I still don't feel old, although I sure wouldn't want to do intern year again. Looking forward to attending-dom in 6 months.

This is inspiring!!!

I'm 23, almost 24 and will (*I'm hoping*) be 26 at time of matriculation. Does this qualify me as a non-trad? I've been out of school and working for 2 years... :D

I'm 28 but but my kids run me ragged, so more like 78 or so...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyhoo, i will be starting med school this fall at the tender age of 32.

I'm 28 and will be starting this fall!

Turning the big 3-0 this year

And as for feeling old, I had lab partners calling me "ma'am" in my post-bacc chem lab until I threatened them that I wouldn't do most of the work anymore if they didn't cut that out. That put an end to that. Also had a group of youngsters ask me to buy their beer for them for Homecoming weekend. Very nice!

I had that problem as well. When I transferred to my university I found out I needed another freshman level bio class. I was 25 at the time. When I was asking my TA (whom was younger than me FYI) a question, another student came over and said, "You're in this class?!? But you're so old!"

I wanted to punch his little 18-year-old face.

Oh, and I am 26 now. I will turn 27 immediately after I start med school (one of my orientation days is actually scheduled on my b-day).

I had that problem as well. When I transferred to my university I found out I needed another freshman level bio class. I was 25 at the time. When I was asking my TA (whom was younger than me FYI) a question, another student came over and said, "You're in this class?!? But you're so old!"

Oh, and I am 26 now. I will turn 27 immediately after I start med school (one of my orientation days is actually scheduled on my b-day).
Whoa that happened to me too! Except it was the TA who said it. I gave him crap the rest of the semester about "respecting his elders" :smuggrin:

27 Here..new to the board! but I'll probably be 30 when i enter school ...turning 28 this summer. I agree...the app process is forever...there's that extra year!!! oh well!

Just turned 33. Wonderful husband and 3 kids (5, 3 and a newborn) Now if we just stop making kids I'll be able to start med school eventually:D .
Curently studying for the MCAT (for the 3rd time:oops: ) while keeping the house livable, the kids alive and myself awake long enough not to keel over while peeing:laugh: .
oh and keeping my husband at a safe distance as birth control measures:D :D

Now, me...I would consider you a baby ;) , so says the med school applicant that will be 44 before she is even accepted into medical school!

Krisss17

I'm 28 now. I'm hoping to start a second bachelor's degree w/pre-med track this Fall after I am finished with my silly masters' degree in education this May. I'm doing things backwards because of the dire need of undergraduate GPA repair.

I'm hoping to be 30 or 31 by the time I matriculate in medical school. (God willing of course)

I'm 28 now. I'm hoping to start a second bachelor's degree w/pre-med track this Fall after I am finished with my silly masters' degree in education this May. I'm doing things backwards because of the dire need of undergraduate GPA repair.

I'm hoping to be 30 or 31 by the time I matriculate in medical school. (God willing of course)

Why do a whole new bachelor's degree when you can do a post-bacc? :confused:

Why do a whole new bachelor's degree when you can do a post-bacc? :confused:

I've explored the post-bacc option. I think it'll be too limited for what I'm trying to do. It will also not raise my GPA to the level that I instantly need. I have a poor undergraduate GPA of about 2.7 and would like it to be around 2.9 realistically. (really close or at 3.0 is ultimately what I want because I don't want to be screened out of the process) I also transferred MANY times during undergraduate (a whopping seven times - was immature and homesick, such a momma's boy - which I'm over now) and need to convey to the med school adcoms a commitment level.

I don't think solely taking the required pre-med courses in a post-bacc program will raise my GPA significantly. So I have a strategy on choosing an entire second B.S. degree w/ two years of full time course work (60 credits) in a major that I will excel in and enjoy while pursuing the remaining pre-med courses I need.

I started off well with some pre-med courses in college but I dropped it because I was encouraged by family members to wholeheartedly pursue a B.S. in Computer Science because of quick money. I received average grades in that discipline (which brought down my overall GPA) and I didn't want to work hard at it because it wasn't really where my heart lied and had all the wrong intentions.

28 w/8 and 1 yo sons.

27 here, and all set to head to Ross University for the May semester. I've spent the past few years working with a lot of Ross grads, and have been really impressed by them.

I do have an interview at LSUNO on Monday... kind of late in the game, but we'll see what happens. I just don't know if I'm exactly thrilled at the prospect of moving to New Orleans right now...

Either way, I'm gonna get to be a doctor!!!!!! :D Hoorah!!!

I am almost 35.....I am starting my prerequesites for pharmacy school this summer. I am prior military with a 10 year old daughter. Good Luck Everyone!!

I've explored the post-bacc option. I think it'll be too limited for what I'm trying to do. It will also not raise my GPA to the level that I instantly need. I have a poor undergraduate GPA of about 2.7 and would like it to be around 2.9 realistically. (really close or at 3.0 is ultimately what I want because I don't want to be screened out of the process) I also transferred MANY times during undergraduate (a whopping seven times - was immature and homesick, such a momma's boy - which I'm over now) and need to convey to the med school adcoms a commitment level.

I don't think solely taking the required pre-med courses in a post-bacc program will raise my GPA significantly. So I have a strategy on choosing an entire second B.S. degree w/ two years of full time course work (60 credits) in a major that I will excel in and enjoy while pursuing the remaining pre-med courses I need.

I started off well with some pre-med courses in college but I dropped it because I was encouraged by family members to wholeheartedly pursue a B.S. in Computer Science because of quick money. I received average grades in that discipline (which brought down my overall GPA) and I didn't want to work hard at it because it wasn't really where my heart lied and had all the wrong intentions.

Believe me, I totally understand family pressure...I wonder at times if I didn't let them influence me so much in my career choices, I may have already become a doctor...I do however believe that becoming a doctor later in life versus a traditional route, I will be able to connect better with my patients.

Is your 2.7 GPA your science GPA or your overall? Are you majoring in biology? The Science GPA is what, I believe, you want to stick out as good, by doing a post-bacc, those are the classes that you will be concentrating on.

Best of luck to you!

My background is sad to say the least. I just turned 30, and this is my first full year of undergrad taking only nine credit hours a semester. I work full time in a 911 Center. Next semester I plan on taking 12 credits.

I wanted to know what the distribution of ages are on this forum, specifically the ages of the "nontraditional" ones.

For those that are older, what advice is there to maintain focus and attention/retention in your studies?

My age: 32 :eek:

My advice: Stay off SDN. :D

I've been lurking around this board for awhile now. I'm finally registered to post!

Before I found this forum, I thought I was starting this journey way too late.
I just turned 24 last month. and hoping to enter medical school around the age of 30. :oops:

I'm so glad to find this section. You guys are such an inspiration for me.
You guys proved everyone, who doubts a person's capability based on the age, wrong.

I've had hard time until recently trying to get my life together after a serious fallout,
ignoring my true passion for medicine with excuses like "it's too late, you can't do it".
I've been putting myself down for not being "that bright, happy kid of age 21, fresh out of college".
I guess I had hard time accepting the fact that my life didn't turn out to be what I expected to be.
Finally I realized the beauty of life is you never know where it would take you.
and as long as you have dream and passion.. You'll eventually get there sooner or later.

btw, I apologize in advance.. I might ask a lot of stupid questions in the future. so pardon me... :laugh:

24 years young....will be 25 when I hopefully matriculate in fall 2009 :)

My Age: 18*

*with 11 years of experience

Listen to the mustn'ts, child.
Listen to the don'ts.
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...
Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.

-Shel Silverstein

God bless you for that.

I am 27 by the way, but no pre-meds. Is it post bacc or post-bach:)?

krazymackbk, we have a lot in common. How is it going so far? Any advice.

28, alternate days between feeling really confident and scared sh**less. I try to keep Oprah Winfrey's quote in mind: "nothing is supposed to feel settled in your twenties." But dang, if what they say about feeling more comfortable in your own skin as you grow older is true, then I want to be 50, like.. tomorrow.

28, alternate days between feeling really confident and scared sh**less. I try to keep Oprah Winfrey's quote in mind: "nothing is supposed to feel settled in your twenties." But dang, if what they say about feeling more comfortable in your own skin as you grow older is true, then I want to be 50, like.. tomorrow.

That's just because your skin will be more stretchy. Things aren't always what they seem, don't rush. ;)

Started medical school at age 45 (AOA and full-ride scholarship) and graduated at age 49. I turned 50 three weeks after graduation and started General Surgery resident two months later. Now will start Vascular fellowship in July. /Currenty sit on two admissions committees. It wasn't easy but it sure was fun.

I just turned 28. Got my master's...working in clinical research now. Hoping to start a postbac in the fall.

I just turned 29 and I'm looking to start a post-bacc this summer. Hopefully, I will be entering around 31-32.

32 and applying to pharmacy school... trying to fight the time limits on undergrad work from 10+ years ago. Hopefully, i won't have to retake any of them since i did well the first time around.

good to know a lot of folks out there doing this same thing

That's just because your skin will be more stretchy. Things aren't always what they seem, don't rush. ;)

Hehe.. you're the best Nomemory!! =) Thanks for the comfort.

If that's you in your icon, for the love of GOD I hope I look that good when I'm your age. :D

Yes, that IS me, taken about 2 yrs ago...still look pretty much the same.
(and "Thank You" for the wonderful compliment!)

I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!

Yes, you read it right . . . 49, with a couple of years to go before finishing the pre-reqs. I'll be around 60 by the time I come out the other end of all this!

All you young whippersnappers complaining about how old you are :sleep: were starting to get me down, but now that I've found the lovely and talented live2theedge, I feel much better!

:cool:

I'm 23 now, but am shipping off for a year of work in South American and then 2 years in Africa for the Peace Corps. When I start an MD/PhD (assuming I get in) I'll be 26 and turn 27 in the first semester. (I feel a lot older though, because I finished my 1st BA at 19....long story)

I just wanted to add the note that nationally the average age of entering MD students is 26, at "top tier" schools it is lower.....

But I like to think that "non-traditional students" are such because they have some experiences that the average applicant does not....if those expereices come with a few more wrinkles as well, so be it. But it is the experiences that set you apart, not the number. Remember that during your interviews.....you might enlighten some adcomm members.

Congrats to everyone sure enough of themselves to persue their dreams despite the naysayers....even for someone voicing her goals at 23 there are a lot who would like to discourage, so I can't imagine what some of you in different positons are hearing. Go to it.

Man -

I have to follow that post?! :) Hats off to you Coclean! It sounds like you have some busy years ahead of you.

I'm 25 now and hopefully will be 27 when I matriculate. No kids, but I have a military hubbie who is very supportive of my aspirations. Good luck to everyone applying in the 2007 round...I'll be right along with you!

p.s. - where are those brownies, cookies, and cakes everyone was talking about???