Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here it is Friday night. Downtown is filling up with revelers for First Friday Artwalk. Friends are laughing over cocktails and high fat restaurant food. Young lovers are holding hands at the movies.

What are you doing, my fellow 'non-trad' aspiring physicians?

Oh, you want to know what I'm up to? Well, it's a wild night let me tell you!

I'm sitting at my dining room table wearing 'misery-grey' velour sweat pants with sparkly stars sewn on to the bottom, an oversized sweat shirt, and hair so out of control it rivals Slash and Cousin It.

Reaching over piles of papers, a calculator and various text books , I grab a now cold cup of chamomile tea. YES!!! I am getting crazy with the chamomile. No telling what's going to happen next...

After I finish typing this post I'll go do some yoga stretches for my aching back. Dining room chairs are not exactly ergonomic havens for middle aged women.

Then, I'll probably throw down a protein shake and spinach salad before resuming my studies.

I'm not sure how to wrap up this wild night.... flash cards or practice quiz? So many options....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing 100 board questions for a big test in 4 months. Great stuff. You guys are really missing out on the excitement of medical school!

Ok, so here it is Friday night. Downtown is filling up with revelers for First Friday Artwalk. Friends are laughing over cocktails and high fat restaurant food. Young lovers are holding hands at the movies.

What are you doing, my fellow 'non-trad' aspiring physicians?

Oh, you want to know what I'm up to? Well, it's a wild night let me tell you!

I'm sitting at my dining room table wearing 'misery-grey' velour sweat pants with sparkly stars sewn on to the bottom, an oversized sweat shirt, and hair so out of control it rivals Slash and Cousin It.

Reaching over piles of papers, a calculator and various text books , I grab a now cold cup of chamomile tea. YES!!! I am getting crazy with the chamomile. No telling what's going to happen next...

After I finish typing this post I'll go do some yoga stretches for my aching back. Dining room chairs are not exactly ergonomic havens for middle aged women.

Then, I'll probably throw down a protein shake and spinach salad before resuming my studies.

I'm not sure how to wrap up this wild night.... flash cards or practice quiz? So many options....

Well considering the goal of getting into med school inspired a lifestyle change/risk management decision, I quit drinking, period. So, now it's phys and chem studies, maybe a strum a few chords on the guitar between chapters, and get the nose back into the books. If its snowing however, you can bet your ass I'm getting my gear aligned to slay the living **** outta some powder in the morning above beautiful Lake Tahoe. Saturday night, much of the same.

I do enjoy the occassional ginger ale or soda water w/ lemon at the bar while enjoying the a local or passing through bluegrass/blues or whatever band.

Life just isn't as exciting as it used to be (unless it's snowing) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I might just break down and drink scotch.

We'll see.

What I really need is a massage and a high end brothel, maybe with some scotch as well.

Well considering the goal of getting into med school inspired a lifestyle change/risk management decision, I quit drinking, period. So, now it's phys and chem studies, maybe a strum a few chords on the guitar between chapters, and get the nose back into the books. If its snowing however, you can bet your ass I'm getting my gear aligned to slay the living **** outta some powder in the morning above beautiful Lake Tahoe. Saturday night, much of the same.

I do enjoy the occassional ginger ale or soda water w/ lemon at the bar while enjoying the a local or passing through bluegrass/blues or whatever band.

Life just isn't as exciting as it used to be (unless it's snowing) :D

We had the sickest pow last week. I hadn't been up all season which made it even better.

I was just mashing like a psycho in the trees. I'm surprised I made it out alive.

I'm babysitting 4 kids for the next 28 hours and I'd rather be retaking the mcat

Well considering the goal of getting into med school inspired a lifestyle change/risk management decision, I quit drinking, period.

What I really need is a massage and a high end brothel

I'm babysitting 4 kids for the next 28 hours and I'd rather be retaking the mcat

I don't drink either, but I cut loose with the sparkling water when I'm out

Massage - yes. Brothel - no no no. When you are a dr. you'll get all the love you can handle ;)

You must be babysitting boys?

Me, I'm going to do laundry in a bit. And read.

quoted for posterity

Me, I'm going to do laundry in a bit. And read.

Oh my goodness, all of these posts resemble my life. My plans for my wild Friday night: go to Costco to buy diapers and food. Hang out with my husband who I've barely seen in the last week, enjoy my children :love:. Certainly a wild and crazy night to be remembered. Maybe my life isn't as exciting as it once was, but its certainly more fulfilling....

Went out and got a burger with that lady. Now watching some hockey before I gotta go to bed in order to wake up at 6am for a 12 hour shift.

I think I might just break down and drink scotch.

We'll see.

What I really need is a massage and a high end brothel, maybe with some scotch as well.

I quit drinking, but there are a couple bottles sitting on top of my fridge right now that tempt me every time... Maybe it's time to move them to the garage with the others. What's your drink? I'd love a nice huge dram of Lagavulin 16 - 30 if I could afford it.

As for what I'm doing tonight, I'm lamenting the fact that I've slept for 17 of the last 24 hours. I missed a perfectly good sick day that could've been spent studying due to actually being sick... cough, cough.

Just to update you on the fun... In 4 hours of doing test questions and annotating into "First Aid for Step 1", I have answered 50 questions and annotated/reviewed 25 of them. Talk about slow moving! There's 2600 more questions for me to get through by May 7th.

400 down... 2600 to go (while still taking classes, seeing patients, studying for our 3 class exams +4 shelf exams for NBME stuff in the next 60 days).

Members don't see this ad :)
Learned that I passed Step 2 PE, so had a celebratory dinner with the wifey and starting my official cruise control mode until graduation. And rest of the evening spent playing with my 5 month old infant.

Wouldn't have changed a thing.

I am finishing up a 12 hr shift in L&D/peds where all the kids have either RSV or flu or both, and in L&D we have already delivered one set of 32 week twins who of course were in respiratory distress so CPAP for them...and in between, I am studying for my June MCAT... :)

Wow, I spent the entire evening stage-managing a youth theatre production of 'Cinderella'. 47 kids aged 6-12, mostly girls. I now need that drink several of you mentioned before doing again tonight!

Watching this show called Lizard Lick on TRU T.V. about some billy bob's that repo vehicles, better than operation repo w/ that bull-woman on there and her illegal "messycants" immigrant team...TRASHY! But entertaining.Scripted / acting just as the real housewives show w/ all the trannies. Still better hearing about loser Charlie Sheen.

I am finishing up a 12 hr shift in L&D/peds where all the kids have either RSV or flu or both, and in L&D we have already delivered one set of 32 week twins who of course were in respiratory distress so CPAP for them...and in between, I am studying for my June MCAT... :)

What is L&D? Are you a nurse?

I love these threads. It makes me feel not as old. I spent my wild friday night consoling my sick 21 month old daughter, and cleaning up barf, and cleaning up diarrhea leaking from her diaper. Awesome! Then when my fiance got home, we talked about how my landlord won't fix anything in the house because he is losing it. Oh, to be 21 again. Wait, no thanks. I actually prefer this life! :D

I quit drinking, but there are a couple bottles sitting on top of my fridge right now that tempt me every time... Maybe it's time to move them to the garage with the others. What's your drink? I'd love a nice huge dram of Lagavulin 16 - 30 if I could afford it.

As for what I'm doing tonight, I'm lamenting the fact that I've slept for 17 of the last 24 hours. I missed a perfectly good sick day that could've been spent studying due to actually being sick... cough, cough.

I told myself i was going to quit 3 months before MCAT. At this a age a hangover will ***** up my mental game for like 3 days. I swear I can't even study now days if I'm hung over. I have to do something active.

I slipped up last weekend a bit and last night I escaped with only 5 glasses of wine at a bar after work, home in time for dinner. Not too bad, and I haven't done anything like that in months. I like scotch, red wine, or beer, and when things get crazy I'll shoot any whiskey that's presented.

I'm pretty sure i fried my brain in undergrad, so I'm always craving a drink when I get a bit excited. It will always be something I have to keep in check.

This is the ultimate "cool story bro" thread... But I have too much respect for us nontrads so I won't post the image. We still have waaaaay more dignity compared to pre-allo.

I was working last night from 7p to 6a followed by hitting the sack so I can work Saturday from 1230-11p. And Sunday too. I get wild and crazy.

I was also working overnight. I got to spend the night having conversations like this:

me: "hi this is WH calling to check on the status of a sample I ordered an hour ago on pt. x ."

phlebotomy: "oh, let me check. someone's up there drawing it now."

40 minutes later, same patient.

me: "hi this is WH. I called a little bit ago regarding a sample for pt. x. we really need that sample right away."

phlebotomy: "I have a tech in the room right now drawing it."

me (thinking): oh really, what, are they still up there? funny every time I call on a pt. someone is "in the room drawing it."

20 minutes later

me: "hi this is WH. I'm calling again on pt.x. I was told someone was in the room drawing pt. x. but we never rec'd the sample. this is a serious pt. care issue. I need that sample now."

phlebotomy: "I'll send someone up right away."

me: groans

and this, future MDs, is a big reason why your labs aren't done. that, and it just isn't possible to do stat cultures.

*note: this was not a stat situation.

I love this thread as well. I probably shouldnt post every Friday so that I don't reveal how lame I am :cool:.

Last night I decided to make it movie night with my sis at her place so we get all the snacks, and pillows and comfy blankets and finally get the movie started. 15 minutes into the movie I was already knocked out :lame:.

I've become such a grandma! :thumbdown:thumbdown

Let's see... chasing two 2 year olds, explaining the importance of college to my 12 year old niece, and watching my 9 year old nephew do skateboard tricks in the cauldesac. Overall, a good night. :)

not a nurse, but I am a pediatric respiratory therapist, and we go to all deliveries just in case we are needed, and our other floor is a pediatric floor....Luckily Saturday *seems* a lot calmer than Friday :)

I got an email a few friday nite's ago from my study partner, who is a single woman in her 30's who wrote

"another friday nite and nothing but F**king chemistry again. Actually, there is no F**king involved just the damn chemistry"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually had a "wild" night last night. Drove up and had dinner+concert with a bunch of friends from graduate school since I'm done studying and this is going to be their last semester before they GTFO with their PhDs and whatnot. :eek:

I forget how cheap Madison is compared to a Big City(TM). $3 top shelf vodka drinks and SafeRide for UW students (ie cabs at ridiculously low prices?)?! :eek:

IBCOOLSTARRYBRA

The Ardbeg 10 year has been collecting dust as of late. I've had a serious sweet tooth lately and have been choosing wine, mimosas, and cider.

The Ardbeg 10 year has been collecting dust as of late. I've had a serious sweet tooth lately and have been choosing wine, mimosas, and cider.

Sounds like me, except I've been neglecting my Balvenie 15 for Guinness and New Glarus.

Wow. We are wild.

My classmates are off to Florida and New Orleans for spring break. I spent Friday evening volunteering in the ER. I escaped in time for a late dinner with my baby godson and his parents. (My baby godson had more energy than the adults at the table.)

Saturday night I got a much-needed pedicure and had sushi with a girlfriend. A few years ago, we would have shut down a bar. Instead we capped the night with chai tea lattes at Starbucks. I made it home by 10 to get in a few more hours of orgo homework.

Life is grand.

Sounds like me, except I've been neglecting my Balvenie 15 for Guinness and New Glarus.

These four are about to make the trip downstairs with the others...
scotch.jpg

I slept and worked and worked then slept and worked more back-to-back shifts.

scotch.jpg

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and I believe that we should be friends. At your house, preferably.

I lucked up, got a sitter and spend the night eating, and drinking, like a Mexican and then catching "The Fighter." Good movie, great work put in by Christian Bale; he earned that Oscar, no doubt.

Wish I had seen this thread last night because....

scotch.jpg
this is Pure Awesome. Though I do wonder what "downstairs" is code for....

What is L&D? Are you a nurse?
L&D is Labor and Delivery; traditional "hospital" birth atmosphere with constant fetal monitoring, ice chips, and hospital beds with stirrups to labor in:) For some reason it is often on the 2nd floor in a hospital...not sure why that is.

I got home from work at 9pm last night, thought I was going to pass out, and then ended up being up until 1am watching Archer and eating my lunch leftovers. Passed out, slept 12 hours, missed my fav class at the gym....and it was totally worth it:)

Celebrated my sis getting a decent grade on her report card. We had icecream cake!!!

Jealous? :cool:

I went to bed early to wake up at 530am for work. I work the weekends so I can attend classes during the week. No rest for the weary.

BTW last night I fapped and ate cheese cake.

Guess what I did? Cleaned up puke again for the second Friday in a row, tried to console a coughing 2 year old, and got to wake up at 4:45 am. I love my kid so much, but I am so tired of her being sick.

Guess what I did? Cleaned up puke again for the second Friday in a row, tried to console a coughing 2 year old, and got to wake up at 4:45 am. I love my kid so much, but I am so tired of her being sick.

Ohhhhh you're from Minnesota. That explains the rad guitar and musical taste. I heard the metal scene there is sick - I almost moved there to be closer to Troy Stetina lol.

Ohhhhh you're from Minnesota. That explains the rad guitar and musical taste. I heard the metal scene there is sick - I almost moved there to be closer to Troy Stetina lol.

It has mellowed as of a year or so ago. Don Decker was a huge influence in the scene here and died last year. But yeah, I had many a good nights in the underground metal scene here. Rad. :horns::horns:

lots of X-files last friday, probably four or five episodes. In Spanish. for the purpose of broadening my communication skills as a physician.

at least, thats what im telling myself. For some reason, I retain so much more information in class with an attractive teacher. Scully :love: