Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sat home, fixed dinner, cleaned the kitchen, chased after dogs, constantly on my son to get his homework done, check and find out son is 5 homework assignments behind, get on his back some more about homework. Fix the internet 5 times. Think about having a glass of wine often, but don't quite get up the energy to go get one. And watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the original movie).

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics. My teacher thought it would be a great idea to have our test the Monday after spring break...

I'm recovering from yesterday's gas poisoning.

Gas pouring out of stove for 8 hours - cramps/headaches/dizzy/fatigue. Started crying. Thought I was dying or something. Then figured out the gas was leaking.

Today stomach issues and headaches, but much better than yesterday.

Me? Well, I sat at Starbucks for hours nursing a cappuccino while reading/studying. I havent seen the necessity in putting on makeup in weeks, I am not taking the time it takes to blow dry my hair (so it is wild), and I have been living in jeans and over sized tshirts. I headed home around 8:30 and read for another three hours after turning down my guy friend who wanted me to go out. In fact, I havent been out with anyone in, umm, well, since school started after break in January I think.

I was up this morning at 5 for an EMT class that meets from 8-5 today and then I will be held up in another Starbucks until about nine. Tonight, Saturdays night, will be a repeat of last night most likely.

Glad to know I am not the only one :)

i too am a winner. i actually stayed at the office and now i'm having to write a paper for my English Comp I class (#$%@*&!?!) that i'm taking as one of my prerequisites (aka my new extracurricular activities yaaay.)

Downstairs is code for storage... downstairs. Out of sight hasn't exactly equaled out of mind lately. I think I need to start posting on the MCAT burnout thread....

I did go a head and bring them upstairs. Just to see. Not real sure why, though...

Side 1
Side 2

holy sweet scotch! :)

relaxing tonight with just a couple of beers. got a big chem test on tuesday and some assignments due, so tonight is it for the relaxation.

Friday night means another 10 hours of work in the blood bank.

Put the kids to bed. Watched a movie with the wife. Read a book until bed. Real exciting over here. Just riveting.

Friday? Well, I'll wake up in the morning at 7 am. Get fresh, go downstairs. Get a bowl. Have cereal. Get down to the bus stop...I gotta catch the bus. Then I see my friends kicking in the front seat and sitting in the back seat! Which seat will I take?

I am going to get down. Everybody's looking foward to the weekend.

Partying. Partying. Fun. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes afterwards. I don't want this weekend to end!

Friday? Well, I'll wake up in the morning at 7 am. Get fresh, go downstairs. Get a bowl. Have cereal. Get down to the bus stop...I gotta catch the bus. Then I see my friends kicking in the front seat and sitting in the back seat! Which seat will I take?

I am going to get down. Everybody's looking foward to the weekend.

Partying. Partying. Fun. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes afterwards. I don't want this weekend to end!

We so excited. We so excited.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: I hated this song when it first went viral but now it brings me so much joy.

Had to repost this because it also brought me joy.

[YOUTUBE]iw8IEd3LDzg[/YOUTUBE]

Last night I finally watched The Fighter. Didn't think I'd like it on account of Mark Wahlberg being a horrible actor but I really loved it! Really good movie.

I spent last Friday night quietly celebrating the official end of this hellish application cycle with dinner with my folks. :)

I spent last Friday night quietly celebrating the official end of this hellish application cycle with dinner with my folks. :)

Congrats! :)

I volunteered to do fit testing this past Friday (for TB masks) at the hospital I volunteer at on Friday nights. Of course I am the last day and WELL WHADDYA KNOW a mob of nurses shows up 20 minutes before I am scheduled to finish.

That part wasn't so bad actually. What really got me steaming was how impatient the line was, so I finally said something. I'm a volunteer, I'm not getting paid for this, and a lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part so back tf up.

Normally I'm pretty cool and know my place, but I gotta admit, the only thing that kept me from losing it as the nurses gave me atttttttttitude over my feeble attempt to try and maintain order in that testing room was that one day, I will be much higher on that totem pole. :smuggrin:

I love the fact that this thread has a life of it's own and revives every Friday. It's great reading everyone's responses

What are you doing, my fellow 'non-trad' aspiring physicians?

I'm awfully excited about this Friday night, because when I get home there will be packages. What are the contents of the packages, you inquire?

1. Navy cargo pants for riding on the unit (NEED MOAR POCKETS)
  2. Medical supplies to build out CERT first-responder kits
  3. Princeton Review's MCAT Physics and Math Review
  4. Nova's MCAT Physics Book
  5. And, potentially, if I am very lucky... my 2012-2013 MSAR!

After I open the packages and eat dinner, I'll do what I do every Friday night: calculus quiz! Then to bed, because class is at 9am!

I'm going to listen to David Sedaris read from his new book tonight! YAY!

:(Yea. I miss Friday nights out. I am not one of those people that just wants to stick my nose in a book or computer ALL of the time. I like balance. I am better when I have fun breaks, but I haven't had the time.

I WANT MY FRIDAYS BACK!!!!

LOL Where's the "whiner" emoticon?

Congrats! :)

I volunteered to do fit testing this past Friday (for TB masks) at the hospital I volunteer at on Friday nights. Of course I am the last day and WELL WHADDYA KNOW a mob of nurses shows up 20 minutes before I am scheduled to finish.

That part wasn't so bad actually. What really got me steaming was how impatient the line was, so I finally said something. I'm a volunteer, I'm not getting paid for this, and a lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part so back tf up.

Normally I'm pretty cool and know my place, but I gotta admit, the only thing that kept me from losing it as the nurses gave me atttttttttitude over my feeble attempt to try and maintain order in that testing room was that one day, I will be much higher on that totem pole. :smuggrin:

Whoa. Now there's a great way to spend your Friday night. I've had to do that. Egads.

Yep, and everyone waits to the last minute. There should be an open bar for those not working at these things.

A few drinks and you're like, "Hey. It doesn't matter what you can smell. Fits nice. Looks good!"

Gauss's law, flux, electric fields... my 3 years ago self would have laughed at my current lameness.

20 min break, gen chem mcat studying for 2 hours.

Went to happy hour and had great Greek appetizers as well as two glasses of wine.

Been home trying to study Chem. Learned a valuable lesson - two glasses of wine and Chem do not mix!

I spent much of today sitting down, and yet my muscles are ridiculously sore. Must be a sign of old age. ;)

Working out like the beast that I am. Aarrgghh intensity!!!

Maubs, I gotta say I'm loving that avatar. Lookin fierce!

Happy weekend my lovely non-trads! :love:

Spent Friday night on call in the ICU after working all day in cardiology rotation. Sleep today, then on call in ICU again tonight.

Any Friday night in the unit is a good one! :)

Whoa. Now there's a great way to spend your Friday night. I've had to do that. Egads.

Yep, and everyone waits to the last minute. There should be an open bar for those not working at these things.

A few drinks and you're like, "Hey. It doesn't matter what you can smell. Fits nice. Looks good!"

This week there were much fewer nurses and they were all playing nice, so I wasn't too cranky when they showed up 30 minutes after I closed up the TB shop. :laugh:

I was supposed to hit up a bar after my volunteer shift for some HIV outreach work, but everyone ended up canceling due to weather. So I made one of those casserole things (or "hot dish" as these midwesterners sometimes say ;)), rice, veggies, and grilled some fish for the weekend.

Spent Friday night on call in the ICU after working all day in cardiology rotation. Sleep today, then on call in ICU again tonight.

Any Friday night in the unit is a good one! :)

ShyRem, I've been listening to ICU rounds on the podcast and I find that intensivist work fascinates me. Are the hospitals still using anesthesiologists in the ICU, or are they hiring IM medicine people also, or are they looking for people who have done an intensivist-based fellowship?

Maubs, I gotta say I'm loving that avatar. Lookin fierce!

Let it not be said that I'm not affected by peer pressure. Plus, we can unite against the Archer avatars.

I have to admit during fit testing I'm one of those people that wait until the last minute. I hate the lines!

Let it not be said that I'm not affected by peer pressure. Plus, we can unite against the Archer avatars.

Yes, there shall be an epic battle in the 2015 thread before matriculation.

I met Q (for the second time) and she hung out at my apartment. She is very nice and a great conversationalist. Go APSA/AAP/ASCI joint meeting. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to listen to David Sedaris read from his new book tonight! YAY!

are you in bham?? how was it? i really wanted to go, but ended up sitting through a tornado in tuscaloosa with my younger sisters...total win.

ShyRem, I've been listening to ICU rounds on the podcast and I find that intensivist work fascinates me. Are the hospitals still using anesthesiologists in the ICU, or are they hiring IM medicine people also, or are they looking for people who have done an intensivist-based fellowship?
Depends on the hospital. There are ICUs where the medicine folks just do medicine, but anesthesia does all tubes, surgery does all lines, etc. There are ICUs were the intensivists do EVERYTHING (like the hospitals I work in). Some hospitals have "open" ICUs where regular hospitalists also manage their patients in the ICU. It's very hospital dependent.

I find generally the higher the level of the hospital, the more likely it is the ICU has critical care intensivists doing all the ICU stuff.

*ugh*. Now I have the post-call hangover. Friday = 24 hours up. Saturday = 6 hours sleep (just couldn't sleep more than that). Saturday night = 13 hours in the ICU, up all night. Today = try to stay awake 'cuz I'm on days during this week.

So basically in 3 days I've done two 24 hour awake shifts. Good thing I love medicine. I can see how folks get SOOOO burnt out doing this!

See what y'all have to look forward to? :)

*ugh*. Now I have the post-call hangover. Friday = 24 hours up. Saturday = 6 hours sleep (just couldn't sleep more than that). Saturday night = 13 hours in the ICU, up all night. Today = try to stay awake 'cuz I'm on days during this week.

So basically in 3 days I've done two 24 hour awake shifts. Good thing I love medicine. I can see how folks get SOOOO burnt out doing this!

See what y'all have to look forward to? :)

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalalalalaicanthearyooooooooouuuuuulalala

are you in bham?? how was it? i really wanted to go, but ended up sitting through a tornado in tuscaloosa with my younger sisters...total win.

Yea, I'm in bham. Lucky for me the weather let up a bit right before his reading. He was hilarious!! I love the way he delivers his stories. I also sat in line for 2 hours to get him to sign his new book, which was completely worth it! He actually talked to me like a human being and cracked jokes about being a pre-med. If he comes back I definitely recommend going.

Just made an appointment to try on wedding dresses--woohoo!

Just made an appointment to try on wedding dresses--woohoo!

Aaaaaaahh. Nice.

I am getting as much work done as possible, b/c I going out tomorrow night no matter what--unless I get hit by an asteroid. . .and then what a shame that I spent all that time on school work. LOL:laugh:

Hanging out at home and trying to not cry as I get rid of over half my book collection. I'm getting ready to move for medical school.

Hanging out at home and trying to not cry as I get rid of over half my book collection. I'm getting ready to move for medical school.

I'm on the fence as to whether I want to sell (most of) my books as well. I probably don't need any of my engineering textbooks anymore (and never did after school, anyway), but it feels like I'd be getting rid of a big part of who I am.

It's a pain in the ***** moving books, though...

I was sad, but I kept one book - my named organic reactions book. :D

I may have a few more I can send to you once you move. ;)

I'm busy packing. One of my friends who is a year behind me is going to come over for moral support, and one of the second years is going to come buy my window AC unit. My new apartment has central heat and air. Woohoo!

I may have a few more I can send to you once you move. ;)

I'm busy packing. One of my friends who is a year behind me is going to come over for moral support, and one of the second years is going to come buy my window AC unit. My new apartment has central heat and air. Woohoo!

So, Q, when do you become Double (or is it triple) Dr. Q?

So, Q, when do you become Double (or is it triple) Dr. Q?
Just double. But I did pick up an extra MS during med school, so I'm now BA, MS, MS, MD, PhD. I'm thinking an MA in ethics should be next. Or maybe I'll get ordained as a rabbi. :p

All kidding aside, only a few more weeks to go. Hard to believe. I got my intern year schedule for real today, and I am happy to report that I am *not* actually starting with an ICU month. Phew!