Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just double. But I did pick up an extra MS during med school, so I'm now BA, MS, MS, MD, PhD. I'm thinking an MA in ethics should be next. Or maybe I'll get ordained as a rabbi. :p

All kidding aside, only a few more weeks to go. Hard to believe. I got my intern year schedule for real today, and I am happy to report that I am *not* actually starting with an ICU month. Phew!

You're going to feel funny when you don't have any classes to take.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, YOU! ;)

Tonight I will procrastinate for my IL DMV test:

217524_10100421648664577_8646267_62214832_841140_n.jpg

Well, they say it takes one to know one, so... :oops:

Me, I'm intending to catch up on office work so I can get ready for the Easter weekend. Whether or not I succeed remains to be seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
midterms over with (for now), adaptive ski season done, I found myself with little to do this evening... so, intense an-aerobic running workout, then cooked myself a fan-freaking-tastic organic steak dinner, a bit of ice cream to top it off, and then some travel planning. Not a bad evening.

g'nite peeps.

That would be appreciated. I appreciated the ones that you brought with you the other weekend. Glad to know you got the AC unit taken care of. Those are heavy. I'm not sure if I need one or not yet. Central air/heat would be nice.....an upgrade from the furnace/fireplace/heater and large window unit here.

Nice to have moral support through the process, but I think you just don't know what to do with all of this free time they have given you before you start :)

I may have a few more I can send to you once you move. ;)

I'm busy packing. One of my friends who is a year behind me is going to come over for moral support, and one of the second years is going to come buy my window AC unit. My new apartment has central heat and air. Woohoo!

Friday, my husband and I drove 4 hours from Tulsa to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO to pick up our son (a Marine doing wrecker training there). We drove back through the same storm that spawned the tornado that hit the St. Louis airport. We drive him back to Ft. "Lost-in-the-Woods" Sunday afternoon. It was worth driving through the storm, though. He's normally stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, so we don't get to see him that often. Plus, he'll be deploying to Afghanistan (his second) later this year.

Wow - love this thread! So, my Friday nights usually consist of a big glass of wine, sitting on the patio and enjoying the evening with my husband. It is sacred time to just CHILL... Of course that is because I'm 8 weeks away from QUITTING my job to pack up and move to get ready for MS1 - WHOO HOO!

Last night was to cold for the patio, but I managed the glass of wine while I sifted through my collection of books. Mauberley - I totally understand having a hard time getting rid of engineering books. I was a teacher and I have 3 teaching books I just can't let go of yet! Crazy!

Oh, and I'm reading The Real Grey's Anatomy by Andrew Holtz. It is a behind the scenes look at the real lives of surgical residents at OHSU (Oregon Heath & Science University). Pretty cool book - fast read.

I'm doing as much as I can to relax before school starts. :D

Wow - love this thread! So, my Friday nights usually consist of a big glass of wine, sitting on the patio and enjoying the evening with my husband. It is sacred time to just CHILL... Of course that is because I'm 8 weeks away from QUITTING my job to pack up and move to get ready for MS1 - WHOO HOO!

Last night was to cold for the patio, but I managed the glass of wine while I sifted through my collection of books. Mauberley - I totally understand having a hard time getting rid of engineering books. I was a teacher and I have 3 teaching books I just can't let go of yet! Crazy!

Oh, and I'm reading The Real Grey's Anatomy by Andrew Holtz. It is a behind the scenes look at the real lives of surgical residents at OHSU (Oregon Heath & Science University). Pretty cool book - fast read.

I'm doing as much as I can to relax before school starts. :D

:) That's my kind of chill. A nice merlot, a fire, and chillaxing on the patio. Even with the fire, still needed a blanket though.

Congratulations! About TRGA. . .I'll have to check that one out.

Totally what I would do. Relax before the crazy ride. :)-

I think you just don't know what to do with all of this free time they have given you before you start :)
Well, I did try waving my magic wand to get all of the crap in my apartment to sort itself into groups of trash, recycling, donations, and things to keep. Unfortunately, it didn't work, which means I'm left to do it all the old-fashioned way. If you'd seen my apartment, you'd understand why this is something of an undertaking. :hungover:

Well, I did try waving my magic wand to get all of the crap in my apartment to sort itself into groups of trash, recycling, donations, and things to keep. Unfortunately, it didn't work, which means I'm left to do it all the old-fashioned way. If you'd seen my apartment, you'd understand why this is something of an undertaking. :hungover:

I really wanted one of those magic wands! If only the world of Harry Potter was real.....maybe it is but the magic is in the stethoscope I just got. Let me wave it around.................nope didn't work, d@m*. It works great for a stethoscope but no magic. :rolleyes:

I really wanted one of those magic wands! If only the world of Harry Potter was real.....maybe it is but the magic is in the stethoscope I just got. Let me wave it around.................nope didn't work, d@m*. It works great for a stethoscope but no magic. :rolleyes:
Haha, did it come? What did you think of the surprise bonus? :prof:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my goodness, all of these posts resemble my life. My plans for my wild Friday night: go to Costco to buy diapers and food. Hang out with my husband who I've barely seen in the last week, enjoy my children :love:. Certainly a wild and crazy night to be remembered. Maybe my life isn't as exciting as it once was, but its certainly more fulfilling....

I have a daughter (3.5), a half brother (teen), and a husband in my household. I spend my nights studying and writing papers until 2-3am. I wait till my daughter falls asleep. Once in a while I spend a hour with my husband and I head back to the books. Positive energy your way.

My "wild" Friday night consists of watching part of a movie with my husband before he feel asleep and had to be put to bed:D (He had a long day at work). Then spending time with my kids, all the while my daughter plays hairdresser on my head. She's old enough too curl and create updos without totally messing me up for the next day. :laugh: Wild and crazy I know try to top it!

Last weekend I saw Afrika Bambaataa "play" at some club, dancing the entire time, then ended up on the L at like 2:30 am.. drove my friend to his place at 3, passed out on friend's couch, ended up at beach to watch the sun come up sometime around 7 am, passed out on beach and woke up to some dog run/walk event (I'm sure the dog barking drowned out my snoring at this point), and finally made it to my own bed around 10 am.

And then I spent the entire Saturday in bed, recovering. :hungover:

I like dancing, but I can't do these kinds of things every weekend.

This past Friday marked the end of my academic year. Despite being sick, I orchestrated a lab gathering and ended up partying my face off with 4 orthopaedic surgeons.

Once the Jager came out, everything got crazy............but I DO remember my 119 kills in a Terminator arcade game. Needless to say, it didn't help my cold, so I'm still recouping.

My Friday night is lonely and pathetic so I had to revive this thread.

Here I sit in piggy pjs with a distended belly from eating too many peanuts whilst lamenting the loss of my phone which was found by some louse who has been sending vulgar texts to my contacts.

Splayed in front of me are two chem books and a mass array of notes. I'm making my last ditch attempt to prepare for Sunday's final exam, which is worth 60% of my grade.

All the while I feel as though I have a hangover - not from partying down , but from last night's fires that filled the night air with smoke.

The bright spot in my evening will be taking a hot bath and having a glass of red table wine.

Back to work...

It's been awhile since I gave an account so here goes:

Arranging 3" Disney vinylmations into various scenes. Starving. Nothing in the fridge. Waiting for my husband to get off work. I will go back to my stormtrooper Mickey imperial march now.

Here I sit in piggy pjs with a distended belly from eating too many peanuts whilst lamenting the loss of my phone which was found by some louse who has been sending vulgar texts to my contacts
I know I probably shouldn't admit this, but the mental picture I get from this sentence made me laugh out loud.

Ok, for me, I went to my Friday night power yoga class, where I am proud to say that I stayed up in the crow pose for the entire ninety seconds.

6a00d8341bfede53ef00e553b91be08834-800wi

Came home, had dinner, fooled around on the internet a bit. Debated going back out to get some chocolate covered pretzels for dessert, but decided not to, a decision I am now somewhat regretting. I think I will try the chocolate flavored yogurt.

I know I probably shouldn't admit this, but the mental picture I get from this sentence made me laugh out loud.

Ok, for me, I went to my Friday night power yoga class, where I am proud to say that I stayed up in the crow pose for the entire ninety seconds.

:thumbup: I'm glad you laughed - that's a good thing.

Crow - that's a great pose isn't it? I was supposed to go to a yoga class, but I flaked out. Tomorrow I teach a beginners yoga. Then Sunday I teach a yoga flow and a yin yoga. I really do love yoga. One of these days I'm going to make a little 'yoga for med students' routine and post it here. It will be a short 15 minute sequence that can be done by your desk for a study break.

:thumbup: I'm glad you laughed - that's a good thing.

Crow - that's a great pose isn't it? I was supposed to go to a yoga class, but I flaked out. Tomorrow I teach a beginners yoga. Then Sunday I teach a yoga flow and a yin yoga. I really do love yoga. One of these days I'm going to make a little 'yoga for med students' routine and post it here. It will be a short 15 minute sequence that can be done by your desk for a study break.
I would love to see your "yoga for med students routine", as I'm assuming it can also be a "yoga for graduated med students routine". :p

All kidding aside, if you have any advice for improving flexibility for tight hamstrings and lower back, I'd be appreciative. I've gotten a strap and am trying to stretch them for at least a few minutes every day, but even after all this time (and going to yoga classes ~ 3x per week), I'm still tight like where I can't even bend to a 90 degree angle with my back flat. The weird thing is that I'm pretty flexible otherwise. Like, I can lie all the way down on the floor in the fish pose and sit in a full lotus on both sides. But anything that requires hamstring or low back flexibility (forward bend--especially with flat back, downward dog, etc.) I can't do at all unless I bend my knees significantly, or majorly round my back.

I've gone to a yoga flow class a couple of times since I joined this new gym. It's surprisingly tough--I worked up a good sweat doing that! But power yoga is still my favorite.

Had a fire in the fire pit, made some S'mores with my neighbor and her daughter, and killed some june beetles... and fed them to ants...

Q - I'll try to email you some flexibility tips by Sunday night.

Another Friday night spent in the hospital working 7P-7A...Tonight, though, I am also studying for my organic chem test on Monday...:)

Thought I'd revive this thread since I miss it. :)

Today, I had the day off work and closed on my refinanced home equity line and had an exam for new glasses and contacts. Had to get the home equity line on better terms for while I am in school and had to get new glasses/contacts before I lose my vision coverage from work.

So, I came home, read a couple magazines, ate a salad, ate a whole package of crackers (whoops!), puttered on the computer, cleaned the parrot's cage, talked on the phone with my aunt and my sister, then napped from 9-11 PM. Now, I am up back on the computer. LOL

Mafunk and Q,

I take pilates and yoga classes on a regular basis. I would say that the pilates really helped my low back pain but the yoga is better for balance and flexibility. But I really love my classes and will continue to go even after I start med school.

Mafunk, sorry about your cell phone situation.

With my sis watching this

camelot-2011-starz-poster-01-550x366.jpg

So far I only give it a B. The acting isn't the greatest but I'm tryin to get into it. On the upside, this series has significantly less nudity than Spartacus and those spin-offs and focus more on the story :thumbup:.

Enjoying actually NOT having anything to do. I've had pretty much every weekend booked in one way or the other since...wow....I'm actually not entirely sure. The last weekend I can actually remember having completely off was in July of last year, but I think there may have been one around Christmas. Seems like there had to have been. Actually had a last minute invite to do something tomorrow but I think I'm going to stay strong and be lazy, despite my love of latex and fake blood.

I was really tired last night and fell asleep not too long after coming back from yoga and eating dinner. In the afternoon, I went to see a museum exhibit about the Middle Ages (mostly knights, armor, that kind of thing). Several people had told me about it, so I felt like I'd be missing out if I didn't go. It wasn't bad, but two hours was enough. Then again, that's about the extent of my attention span for *any* kind of art museum before my brain starts feeling overloaded. :hungover:

Actually had a last minute invite to do something tomorrow but I think I'm going to stay strong and be lazy, despite my love of latex and fake blood.

That sounds like soo much fun! How come we never have any zombie marches where I'm at?? Chicago seems to have lots of cool events :(.

In the afternoon, I went to see a museum exhibit about the Middle Ages (mostly knights, armor, that kind of thing). Several people had told me about it, so I felt like I'd be missing out if I didn't go. It wasn't bad, but two hours was enough. Then again, that's about the extent of my attention span for *any* kind of art museum before my brain starts feeling overloaded. :hungover:

I'm pretty nerdy about midieval exhibitis and history but yea 2 hours seems like a long time. I know the last exhibit I went to I was literally running through it because my friend was just having none of it. She thought it was the most boring thing evvverr. I basically sprinted through to see what I could and we left within 30 minutes or so.

Five hours of rock climbing followed by a night on the strip in Vegas. I love being outside all day and then following that up with water shows, ice cream, searching for great food and a movie is something to remember. I get another month of this kind of play before the reality of med school sets in.

My friday was a meeting with a professors regarding research. I'm not taking any classes this summer so research with 2 different professors at two different Universities (not where my post-bac is believe it or not). Going to other professors enabled me to get into a lab of interest unlike where my post-bac is and the competition for getting into a good lab is a little nutty. I'll actually get to be more involved! Yay! Later I researched more Medical school programs (MD/PhD's, DO/PhD's, MD/JD's...and the list goes on). I read some of my genetics book for fun, went to the dog park. Was asked to go out of state and work at another lab for a month (thinking maybe next summer). My husband came home from work, tired, on little sleep, still getting over being sick...he's working his bottom off 2+ jobs to help me out with this process and jokes around that I am his investment (we rarely see each other). We ended up discussing our vacation plans for all of 10 minutes before he fell asleep and I stayed up in the books.

Oh yeah!...and I calculated my BCPM and overall GPA in excel...again.

Last edited:
Five hours of rock climbing followed by a night on the strip in Vegas. I love being outside all day and then following that up with water shows, ice cream, searching for great food and a movie is something to remember. I get another month of this kind of play before the reality of med school sets in.

I loved Red Rock Canyon when I was out there last summer!

I made my first craigslist sale yesterday! Now, if only the rest of my unnecessary stuff would sell themselves before I have to move out...

I loved Red Rock Canyon when I was out there last summer!

That's like one of the few things I like about Vegas.

Oh yeah!...and I calculated my BCPM and overall GPA in excel...again.

Okay. I read this and I felt the burning desire to punch my stats in manually even though there really should be better uses of my time. :p I did learn something useful, though -- even if I tried to count my engineering classes as either physics or math, my BCPM GPA wouldn't have changed. On the other hand, if I included my biochem grade from the fall, I would have gone from a 3.69 sGPA to a 3.70. Obviously, that extra hundredth of a point would have gotten me into all the Ivies, so I must now lament what could have been.

first friday night off in a long time... no classes, no volunteer, no responsibilities..... oh yeah i start chem 2 on tuesday... just a couple beers and a torchwood marathon planned

My Friday night bites!

Today my 19 year old son, who lives 3K miles away, was on the lightrail when he witnessed three cops harrasing a black kid. My son got upset and started complaining about racial profiling.

The cops got pissed at my son and now he is on their radar as a trouble maker. They said that if they see him within the next 30 days they will arrest him, even though he did nothing more than complain about racial profiling.

Friday night: spent it at work. Was supposed to be done by 5pm, but late consult and new intern made for getting out at 7:30pm. Then home, dinner, and in bed early because I had to get up at 4:30am to be in the ICU by 5:30am.

Rockin' Friday night.

I'm working nights this week and totally feel for said new intern. Good grief, that first day (night in my case!) is painful: don't know your way around the hospital, where to find supplies, how to consult, who to ask for things, what the secrets are for working the EMR with multiple programs that each have their own userID/PW and don't communicate with one another. At the same time you're trying to figure out these essential basics to get anything done, you're being asked to sign things for patients you've never met. My first patient spoke no English, and first thing my second patient said after I introduced myself was, "you're not one of these new resident doctors, are you?" To which I replied, "Yes, sir, I sure am!" His wife laughed, and he and I got along fine after that. People were nice about my fumbling in general, but dang, I'm glad I have that first one behind me.

Time for a revival of this thread. :D

I'm coming off day shifts today and starting night float on Sunday night. Trying to stay awake tonight as late as possible to help make the transition, which is not the easiest after six straight days of getting up at 4:30 every morning. Anyone around who's awake and going to be staying up all night with me???

I'm coming off day shifts today and starting night float on Sunday night. Trying to stay awake tonight as late as possible to help make the transition, which is not the easiest after six straight days of getting up at 4:30 every morning. Anyone around who's awake and going to be staying up all night with me???

guilty as charged. but not exactly because I WANT TO... per se, nothing personal. :D however, i will be around to keep you company...

Normally, I'd say yes, but I'm trying to reboot my sleep schedule before my next Killer Semester of Doom starting at the end of this month..... so no more all-nighters for me just now! It's ambien at 9 and sleep by 10. Otherwise it just starts getting away from me and I'm up til 10am instead of 10pm and it takes me weeks to get back to normal.

Last edited:

Good thread Q. I actually just had a date night with my wife. Went and saw Cowboys vs. Aliens at The Studio Movie Grill. She's in the living room with mother in law and 3 children... not super sexy but the night is yet young... I certainly hope my night ends better than yours :cool: Hope you have a good one!

guilty as charged. but not exactly because I WANT TO... per se, nothing personal. :D however, i will be around to keep you company...
What are you staying up for?

Normally, I'd say yes, but I'm trying to reboot my sleep schedule before my next Killer Semester of Doom starting at the end of this month..... so no more all-nighters for me just now! It's ambien at 9 and sleep by 10. Otherwise it just starts getting away from me and I'm up til 10am instead of 10pm and it takes me weeks to get back to normal.

So much for the fabulous life of a Vegas socialite, eh? :p
Transitioning from days to nights is always much easier for me than going from nights to days. Forcing yourself to stay up later isn't so bad, but trying to force yourself to go to bed earlier is really tough. What I do is take a nap for a few hours after my last night shift, then get up for the rest of the day and go to bed early that night. I'm still dragging for the first few days back on day shifts though. But I'll be on nights for the next three weeks, so it won't be an issue for a while. :)

I certainly hope my night ends better than yours :cool:
I don't quite know what to say to that, but I hope your night ends well too....

What are you staying up for?
I don't quite know what to say to that, but I hope your night ends well too....

Gotta give me a little leeway here... just finished chem 2 final yesterday... celebrating 2 A's in chem this summer... I hardly ever go out and I allegedly consumed a "bucket o beer" at the movie grill :eek:... yet to be verified :D

Q, I'm with you on the nights vs. day thing..... my circadian clock's always set wrong. I think it's like the car radio clock that I never can remember how to reset so it just blinks at me for months!