Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's see, this morning I took me eldest to Middle School Orientation. Was a great experience to be there with him. We walked through all his classes and met all his teachers, he's excited if not a bit apprehensive. He's in all Advanced courses and
I could not possibly be more proud of him. His younger brother was assigned the most popular 3rd grade teacher in his school, so it was a successful day all around.

After buying supplies, and taking eldest to the library for some new books, I watched Source Code at home. A reprieve.

Tonight...absolutely nothing on tap. I'll probably watch another movie, catch up on some reading, I have a line of books to get to, clean up my office desk at home to get more productive, play on SDN a little, ;), and generally relax. Wild and Crazy, NOT.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

I bought a bottle of wine and two bottles of Tuaca.

Not too exciting, save for I haven't drank alcohol in almost three years. Should be fun!

I am off tonight, and tomorrow night too. Woohooooooooooooo!

Right now I am eating breakfast. I actually got up a couple of hours ago to go to yoga. There is a premed in the class that I've gotten friendly with, and he was asking how things were going with residency since he hadn't seen me in a while. Then he updated me on his apps, asked for interview tips, etc. I have decided that I am kind of like a premed whisperer. No matter where I go, they find me, and I can't help but end up helping them. :laugh:

Tonight I am planning to chill for a bit, catch up on emails, return some phone calls from people who probably think I've fallen off the face of the planet, and hopefully do a little studying. I'm determined to stay up at least until 5 or 6 AM, because I want to stay on the night schedule. That's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I worked about 12-12.5hrs; had a Mt. Dew & a candy bar for dinner and then headed to the theatre.

Ran sound for a musical at the local professional theatre (show #13 of 15); got home about 10ish and now I'm on SDN before headed to bed.

Exciting :(

I just got back from rollerblading with the puppy.

Owner = dog tired

puppy= not so much....

:rolleyes:

will take recommendations for netflix movies for the weekend.......

Sentiment of the Flesh was meh.

Tested people til 1 am last night, got hit on by a client, up at the senior center to recruit people for research all morning + afternoon, ran 4 miles, volunteered in the ER for a couple of hours, and now finally trying to snarfle some dinner so I can fit some house music in tonight before I do more testing/outreach tomorrow and my long run on Sunday.

Create memories now - sleep later.

Sentiment of the Flesh was meh.

Tested people til 1 am last night, got hit on by a client, up at the senior center to recruit people for research all morning + afternoon, ran 4 miles, volunteered in the ER for a couple of hours, and now finally trying to snarfle some dinner so I can fit some house music in tonight before I do more testing/outreach tomorrow and my long run on Sunday.

Create memories now - sleep later.

unn-tss unn-tss unn-tss unn-tss

Hmm, I worked about 12-12.5hrs; had a Mt. Dew & a candy bar for dinner and then headed to the theatre.

Ran sound for a musical at the local professional theatre (show #13 of 15); got home about 10ish and now I'm on SDN before headed to bed.

Exciting :(
Actually, that sounds like a pretty darn good day to me. Especially the part about eating a candy bar and Mountain Dew for dinner. :laugh:

Well, wait. What kind of candy bar? I love Milky Way Midnights, York Peppermint Patties, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Twix, Three Muskateers, and Hershey Special Darks. If it was any of the above, then I want your dinner. If it had peanuts in it, then it's kind of a wash. If it had coconut in it, then I take it back. I hate coconut.

Owner = dog tired

puppy= not so much....

D gave a whole list of them further up thread. Sounds like he's the movie buff in the group.

Maybe I'll watch a movie tonight too. Now getting ready for lunch, which is fish-n-chips Q-style. Meaning that the fish are actually shrimp, and baked instead of fried, and the fries are sweet potatoes, also baked instead of fried. Unfortunately I have no candy bars in the house. :(

Actually, that sounds like a pretty darn good day to me. Especially the part about eating a candy bar and Mountain Dew for dinner. :laugh:

Well, wait. What kind of candy bar? I love Milky Way Midnights, York Peppermint Patties, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Twix, Three Muskateers, and Hershey Special Darks. If it was any of the above, then I want your dinner. If it had peanuts in it, then it's kind of a wash. If it had coconut in it, then I take it back. I hate coconut.

Dove milk chocolate, Toblerone, and Trader Joe's milk chocolate with hazelnuts...... :love:

Dove milk chocolate, Toblerone, and Trader Joe's milk chocolate with hazelnuts...... :love:

Oh my GOD, Trader Joe's milk chocolate is amazing. As is their darker chocolate...the huge bars? :soexcited:

Have you ever tried their pub cheese? Pub cheese + their small crackers...if I didn't exercise so much I would be a blob made of pub cheese and chocolate (and pizza).

I'm so hungry >_<. Cereal time...

Owner = dog tired

puppy= not so much....

Netflix for the weekend would mean streaming at this point, which is too bad as some flicks for order are really impeccable. As for their streaming, a little limited but how about

1)One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest?
2) The Machinist?
3) (1st Season of) Californication?

and, you should add into your Queue, if you like DOCUMENTARIES...

4) Restrepo. I won't lie. Not for the faint of heart, but I didn't BLINK for 2 hours, or however long it was. Sadly, one of the members of the team in afghanistan, that filmed this documentary, one of the directors actually, was just killed in Iraq. This is a must see film for documentary watchers who was some insight into war. One of the best I've seen, EVER. It's breathtaking in that it's REAL.

5) I second trader joes chocolate. AND, Whole foods carries this amazing type of ice cream, I forget what it's called, but they come 6 to a box, and they are little ice cream balls for lack of a better word, surrounded in a frozen-gelatinous encasing. flavors like mango. LITCHI. passion fruit. just recalled their name BUBBIES MOCHI. AMAZING SNACK. if you can limit yourself to one (box) at a time. :)

http://bubbiesicecream.gourmetfoodmall.com/

My Friday night consisted of me and my brand new intern in the ICU with 30 very sick people, 6 rapid responses for silly things like constant bleeding from a vas-cath, new onset stroke, chest pain, difficulty breathing, hypertensive emergency, and 3 new critical care admits.

Overall, a nice evening. And the intern learned a lot.

Spent my Friday evening doing lots of administrative work: wrote ratemyprofessor reviews for my summer profs, sent mails, organizing/planning my study schedule for the semester.

Capped it off with a beer and some Dexter (still on season 4).

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm... I had popcorn for dinner last night... does that count for anything ;)

Lamenting the fact that this is my last weekend off for the remaining 2 years of undergrad. I start my new job next Saturday working a 48 hr shift at at rural ambulance service.

If I can get the wife out of the house, we might have a date night; if not, rereading Chapter 1 in my O-Chem book to get ready for class starting on Monday.

Either way, I figure Jack Daniel's Single Barrel will be involved somehow.

Wow, 48 hours?? Our shifts here are only 12! Those rural (volly?) services are tough! How many calls do you normally see on one of those suckers?

I've been cooking for six tonight: Indian. So I didn't really eat "dinner" (actually "lunch" for me), since I was tasting everything as I went along. :D

Debated buying some dark chocolate peanut butter cups, but resisted the urge. Better not to have that stuff in the house, because if it ain't here, I won't be eating it!

What are the rest of you doing tonight? I need to order some things from Amazon; do an online quiz; clean my apartment; and something else that I can't remember right now....oh yeah, I have to log my work hours. I feel like I'm still forgetting something else too though....

I've been cooking for six tonight: Indian. So I didn't really eat "dinner" (actually "lunch" for me), since I was tasting everything as I went along. :D

Debated buying some dark chocolate peanut butter cups, but resisted the urge. Better not to have that stuff in the house, because if it ain't here, I won't be eating it!

What are the rest of you doing tonight? I need to order some things from Amazon; do an online quiz; clean my apartment; and something else that I can't remember right now....oh yeah, I have to log my work hours. I feel like I'm still forgetting something else too though....

Hey I've been cooking tonight too!! I made Pasta HoBolognese!! For details, see my blog - I took pictures. It was a sad, sad night.

No oontz tonight. I am about to put the final touches on my last two med school applications. Had some ice cream.. we'll call it carb loading for tomorrow. Really debated between that and a root beer float. :( Didn't outreach today cos of the storm, so I did a ton of cleaning.

I have two questions for the techie types among you.

First is the dumb question. I would like to get some kind of adapter that would allow me to listen to my Ipod nano in my car. It appears that there are a few options. One is to install some kind of new stereo something or other, which is definitely beyond my range of capability. Another is to use an FM transmitter. The third is to use a tape cassette. So I have to ask, who the heck has a tape deck in their car any more? Is that something you have to install to be able to use the adapter? If so, why wouldn't you just go with the fancy stereo in option 1?

Second question that is less dumb but probably more relevant for me. Seeing as I have no tape deck in my car and am not about to go fooling around with rewiring the stereo, it looks like I should get the FM transmitter. In that case, any specific one that you folks recommend? FWIW, I have an SUV and it's automatic. Given that context, what do you think of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Displa...ITFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313917641&sr=8-4

I don't care about the remote controller; basically, what I want an adapter for is so that when I'm driving out to the boonies and back for my rural medicine rotation, I can listen to medical podcasts and the time won't be completely wasted. I will not be changing songs or otherwise adjusting the ipod while driving. I will not be using my cell phone or anything else except playing the podcast. So I guess what I really want to know is, will this product do what I want it to do? And if not, what should I get instead?

Last edited:
I view FM transmitters as commodities, so go with what is cheapest/most convenient for you to use. The one you linked seems fine.

Regarding tape decks, yeah we may as well be talking about 8-track at this point.

New Stereo option, probably can be done for $100-$200. A lot of them have options to let you plug your ipod directly into them. So, audio quality will be better than FM transmitter. The transmitter quality will always be worse but not unbearable unless you're an audiophile.

I use my cell phone to listen to internet radio when I'm taking trips, seems ok for me, but I dont own an ipod :)

I have two questions for the techie types among you.

First is the dumb question. I would like to get some kind of adapter that would allow me to listen to my Ipod nano in my car. It appears that there are a few options. One is to install some kind of new stereo something or other, which is definitely beyond my range of capability. Another is to use an FM transmitter. The third is to use a tape cassette. So I have to ask, who the heck has a tape deck in their car any more? Is that something you have to install to be able to use the adapter? If so, why wouldn't you just go with the fancy stereo in option 1?

Second question that is less dumb but probably more relevant for me. Seeing as I have no tape deck in my car and am not about to go fooling around with rewiring the stereo, it looks like I should get the FM transmitter. In that case, any specific one that you folks recommend? FWIW, I have an SUV and it's automatic. Given that context, what do you think of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Displa...ITFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313917641&sr=8-4

I don't care about the remote controller; basically, what I want an adapter for is so that when I'm driving out to the boonies and back for my rural medicine rotation, I can listen to medical podcasts and the time won't be completely wasted. I will not be changing songs or otherwise adjusting the ipod while driving. I will not be using my cell phone or anything else except playing the podcast. So I guess what I really want to know is, will this product do what I want it to do? And if not, what should I get instead?

As long as you have an AUX socket you are good to go and it's ONE WIRE. It's about a 10 dollar purchase and you're done. Plug wire into your Ipod/Nano/Iphone/laptop if you want... and other end into your AUX. Switch radio to AUX IN, BOOM. Music. Just make sure you buy the Aux wire that will FIT into the recessed head of your nano. Shouldn't be an issue. Test it out at Radio Shack or wherever you're going to buy this wire. Best Buy, etc.

Most cars post ~2008 will have this AUX socket somewhere ON the radio, in middle compartment by gear shift.

All that FM transmitter stuff, where you select a channel on radio, always works crappy if you ask me.

If you need more info, lemme know. It should be a simple process. And this is what it should look like (location of AUX jack depending...)

http://www.dlo.com/products/view/aux-in-cable

Now, you may have realized that you don't have an AUX at which point this simple method cannot work.

D712

Hey I've been cooking tonight too!! I made Pasta HoBolognese!! For details, see my blog - I took pictures. It was a sad, sad night.

That was great. :laugh:

Q, I've had two FM transmitter's, one worked well, the other you could hear a bit of static usually. It works, I'd just make sure you don't have a direct plug option. If you do go with the FM transmitter, see that it secures your Ipod tightly. My last one worked well but requires the use of rubberbands to hold things tightly.

Hmm, I don't know if I have an AUX or not, but it's a 2011 model, so I'm guessing that means I probably do? Will investigate this--didn't realize there was such a thing.

Just to confirm, all I'd have to do is plug the cable into the AUX, right? No rewiring the car stereo?

Thanks for helping the techie challenged. :)

Hmm, I don't know if I have an AUX or not, but it's a 2011 model, so I'm guessing that means I probably do? Will investigate this--didn't realize there was such a thing.

Just to confirm, all I'd have to do is plug the cable into the AUX, right? No rewiring the car stereo?

Thanks for helping the techie challenged. :)

if you have a 2011 car (suhweet btw) then i would be shocked if you don't have an aux in. you could very well have been staring at it and not pay any attention to it. it's either in the radio, the middle compartment, or, sometimes, the glove compartment. and yes, that's ALL you need, if you have an AUX, is one. single. cable. 10$. no rewiring anything at all. promise. plug and play. well, plug, turn radio to AUX function (i.e. AM/FM/CD/AUX) and you'e good to go.

well? ya find it?

D712

Nice. I'm hoping for a new car to replace my "newer" car (that's newer of the two vehicles we own) that is 16 years old now. Yup, 16 years old is the "new" car. Perhaps when I get a real paycheck in a couple years I can afford a new car.

*totally jealous BTW, Q* ;)

Nice. I'm hoping for a new car to replace my "newer" car (that's newer of the two vehicles we own) that is 16 years old now. Yup, 16 years old is the "new" car. Perhaps when I get a real paycheck in a couple years I can afford a new car.

*totally jealous BTW, Q* ;)
Well, but kids and loans eat up a lot of disposable income. As for me, I was aiming for safe and reliable here. Figured I'd save the dodge viper for five years from now when I start making the big bucks. ;)

My Friday Night: Chowing down crab buckets and margaritas at the local bar while chatting with our favorite bartender and a retired couple next to us. And, yes, these are the good/exciting Friday nights. Usually my husband is out of town and I'm sitting at home alone reading chemistry text, comforting myself with the fact that some day I'll be doctor... someone who can truly help people. Meanwhile I'm a lame middle aged dork reading chemistry text alone

My Friday Night: Chowing down crab buckets and margaritas at the local bar while chatting with our favorite bartender and a retired couple next to us. And, yes, these are the good/exciting Friday nights. Usually my husband is out of town and I'm sitting at home alone reading chemistry text, comforting myself with the fact that some day I'll be doctor... someone who can truly help people. Meanwhile I'm a lame middle aged dork reading chemistry text alone

You are not alone. I'm a lame middle aged dork reading chemistry text alone as well... does that mean we're not alone? ((actually going over stats for exam tomorrow. will go over chem tomorrow))

I was a lame almost middle-aged dork reading lab chemistry results on a computer. Just got home a little while ago, only 1.5 hours late. Sigh. Eating a snack now and then going to bed. I'll be working tomorrow night too.

Well, lemme see. Came home from work at 7:30pm. At a quick dinner, passed out at 9pm 'cuz I had to get up at 4:30 to be back in the ICU.

But tonight... well tomorrow is my one day off this week. NO ALARMS in the morning. I'm looking forward to sleeping until 7am. :D

I was living it up as an M1 who just finished his first week of school. :D

I was living it up as an M1 who just finished his first week of school. :D

Sweet!

My Friday night consisted of rollerblading with the pup, cooking some pasta, then sinking into a novel and staying up way too late on a school night.

Yup, I said school night.

I awoke way too early for my Sat. a.m. class and planned well for my 80 mile commute and the road construction. I did not, however, plan for the event parking for the football game to take over all the campus parking ramps. The first ramp I got to was pre-booked event parking, the second was event parking rate and cash only even though they take check cards during the week. I had to drive to a gas station and get cash before I could park. I was 30 min. late for my first day of lecture.

The good news is the prof likes to yap and had barely gotten started, one of my good friends is in the class, I heard good feedback on a potential PI for my master's project, and our TA's are pretty awesome.

I am studying for my mid midterm 5 weeks in and so many more to go. Q you were right, this getting up at 5 am business to study and not feeling like you've done enough after 8 hours of classes and labs plus 5-6 hours a night on top of that is very humbling..

I must confess I went to my friend's birthday party. Not a big deal, just dinner at a pub but I feel guilty for two reasons

1. We are trying to cut back on going out for dinner (my husband about had a heart attack when I told him I want to apply to med school and XXX is how much it costs to just take the classes to apply :rolleyes:.

2. I should have been studying for the MCAT. I have was behind already, skipped a day all together last Thursday so I could go to a lecture (tried to get Audio Osmosis to play in my car but my cd player is crap so no go there)

So now I have gotten up a couple of hours early to get some study on before I go on the motorcycle ride I promised multiple people I would attend. Tonight's catch up will be fun!

Wow, 48 hours?? Our shifts here are only 12! Those rural (volly?) services are tough! How many calls do you normally see on one of those suckers?

Normally anywhere from 2-4 per 24 hours: We have to back-to-back dialysis runs first thing Saturday, then we're an extra truck for the service area till 0600 Sunday Morning. My partner and I are off until 0800 until we go to another station and do another 24. Unless its a freaky weekend, we sleep all night and get off on time.

We're a decent sized paid service, primarily rural, most of the crews work a 48 on/96 off schedule. Lets me carry 15-18 hours, work full time and have M-F to focus strictly on school.

I'm working tonight.

Just got a call from freaking Kaplan asking why I didn't return their email from last week about teaching. I'm like, um, because I graduated medical school four months ago and am now a resident in another state. I have no access to my school email anymore, and no, I'm not interested in teaching in this state while I'm a resident! Which is exactly what I told them last spring when they called. Good grief, that's just what I need on top of my job as an intern, a part time gig teaching MCAT classes. :hungover:

On that note, I am going to get ready for work. Happy Friday, folks.

It's Friday again!

So, I'm studying to retake a Chem II final that I bombed. Luckily I can do retake and I think I'll do well with the second chance, particularly since I had been sick for a week prior to the final.

But..... my pride is hurt. So I' guess in addition to studying I might spend the evening tending my injured pride :oops:

I'm working tonight.

Just got a call from freaking Kaplan asking why I didn't return their email from last week about teaching. I'm like, um, because I graduated medical school four months ago and am now a resident in another state. I have no access to my school email anymore, and no, I'm not interested in teaching in this state while I'm a resident! Which is exactly what I told them last spring when they called. Good grief, that's just what I need on top of my job as an intern, a part time gig teaching MCAT classes. :hungover:

On that note, I am going to get ready for work. Happy Friday, folks.

I'm just curious... do they hire folks with over a certain MCAT score? If so what is it? (Not that I'm aspiring to teach for them or even think I'm smart enough... just curious)

It's Friday again!

So, I'm studying to retake a Chem II final that I bombed. Luckily I can do retake and I think I'll do well with the second chance, particularly since I had been sick for a week prior to the final.

But..... my pride is hurt. So I' guess in addition to studying I might spend the evening tending my injured pride :oops:
Forget injuring your pride; you'll be drawing and quartering it before you're done with this med school business. Just focus on gen chem. Like you said, you got a lucky break what with being allowed to retake, so don't squander it. :luck: on the retake.

I'm just curious... do they hire folks with over a certain MCAT score? If so what is it? (Not that I'm aspiring to teach for them or even think I'm smart enough... just curious)
Yes, you had to have a 33+ when I was teaching. No idea what the rules are now; I haven't taught for them in a few years.

This is what I get for not changing my cell phone number. :laugh:

It's Friday again!

MaFunk! Get Off SDN!! Go study your delta h's and whatnot. :p I'm just playin. Hope everything is going well for you. You will knock it out next time. :luck: If it makes you feel better, I'm stuck at home studying organic chem tonight as well as physics. Oh well... We chose this craziness.

My friday? Anatomy, some more anatomy and then quite a bit more after that..........not the fun type either.

Tonight is Settlers of Catan night! woooooo

My Friday was/is meeting up with an old friend for a little while, then back home to do homework for the online class I'm auditing. What I'm really doing is trying to adjust to being single, and trying to adjust to the thought of selling my beautiful car to get something more economically responsible and save more money :cry:.

firstworldproblems.jpg

My Friday was/is meeting up with an old friend for a little while, then back home to do homework for the online class I'm auditing. What I'm really doing is trying to adjust to being single, and trying to adjust to the thought of selling my beautiful car to get something more economically responsible and save more money :cry:.

firstworldproblems.jpg

I could go through all the cliches but none of them really help. What I found that was helpful was to immerse myself into my work. For you, I guess that would be studying. ((Add memorable quote here)) :)