Nootropics (Cognitive Enhancing drugs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you ever take cognitive enhancing drugs?

• Total voters

OrphanageCaretaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, recently a friend of a friend enlightened me about Nootropics which are cognitive enhancing drugs that help in concentration and focusing on studying material. There are different types of Nootropics but I just wanted to discuss the general purpose of the drug. Now I'm familiar with other students abusing Adderall but I was new to this Nootropic game. According to my friend who asked another student who always set the curve in his O Chem class what his secret was to acing every test he said he simply took a pill, studied, recalled most of the information and was able to knock every test out of the park. Is it fair? I don't know, not everyone tells every other person if they are using pills and the school won't drug test so it's free range to whomever wants to use it. My real question is, would you use it for an extremely important exam? Such as the DAT, why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

I took some for dat studying and even a practice exam. It made me too hyper to really focus and it made me pee a lot. I didn't take much of it so I don't know if it helped me. But I didn't like the effect when I was taking the practice test. I'll mail you the rest of what I have if you want it lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Nootropics are nothing compared to amphetamines. That being said, to some it helps and to others it's like taking coffee. Nootropics are more of a supplement, like fish oil and such, so it's like others take vitamin for their health, nootropics are for brain health and retention, fair game. The guy that set the curve is just smart and knows how to study, nootropics didn't make him get the grades he did

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I drink coffee, but never any pills. Obviously pills have effects, but I would be interested in someone doing a placebo test because I think studying/testing is mostly all a mental game. It probably isn't good to take these drugs if you do not actually have a disability, and I wouldn't want to think I am dependent on taking the drug to do well on every exam.

waste of money... is caffeine unethical to use to study?

Sounds like some "Limitless" **** to me..

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing will beat hard work and determination, and all "nootropics" operate on a bell curve meaning it takes time to figure out what works for you. In general it's better just to excericse, eat good fats, and get plenty of sleep.
If you really want to try something cool I would suggest supplementing L-Theanine with caffeine. It has a great deal of research supporting to work with caffeine. Increased GABA production balances out the stimulation from caffeine. I combined these and had great results. It's not unethical AND both ingrediants can be found in a natural form (coffee and tea extract).

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing will beat hard work and determination, and all "nootropics" operate on a bell curve meaning it takes time to figure out what works for you. In general it's better just to excericse, eat good fats, and get plenty of sleep.
If you really want to try something cool I would suggest supplementing L-Theanine with caffeine. It has a great deal of research supporting to work with caffeine. Increased GABA production balances out the stimulation from caffeine. I combined these and had great results. It's not unethical AND both ingrediants can be found in a natural form (coffee and tea extract).
I will definitely look into that, coffee right now is doing wonders, a lot more effective than tea in my case. Cheers

Eat healthy and go to the gym. Anything else is a real cop out.

And yes, its cheating.

Eat healthy and go to the gym. Anything else is a real cop out.

And yes, its cheating.
Is caffeine cheating? If so, then sugar must be too. It's like saying protein after workout is cheating...

You could just suck it up and use the time you're spending finding info on pills to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's cheating.

Not fair to the other students that are going about school the right way.

Just study. Yes dental school is a ton of work (which we knew it would be before we signed up for this roller coaster), but it's not "hard."
Do your part the right way, and everything will work out.

I voted "No" in the survey, but I wouldn't consider it cheating. You do what you gotta do to focus and retain information. As long as the person is studying, not sneakily looking at notes they slipped into the back of their water bottle or on the palm of their hand while they're taking their test, I think it's fair game.

I personally wouldn't use it. I'd hate to wonder if I aced an exam because I had the smarts and will to study, or because I relied on a pill to focus. It's so much more rewarding to get an A on something you worked hard for.

I voted "No" in the survey, but I wouldn't consider it cheating. You do what you gotta do to focus and retain information. As long as the person is studying, not sneakily looking at notes they slipped into the back of their water bottle or on the palm of their hand while they're taking their test, I think it's fair game.

I personally wouldn't use it. I'd hate to wonder if I aced an exam because I had the smarts and will to study, or because I relied on a pill to focus. It's so much more rewarding to get an A on something you worked hard for.

Congrats on your amazing DAT score :D

It's cheating if it's not accessible to everyone.

Nootropics don't even have to be FDA approved, they're a supplement, just like protein/vitamins isn't FDA approved, so it's definitely accessible at your local farmers market.

Nootropics don't even have to be FDA approved, they're a supplement, just like protein/vitamins isn't FDA approved, so it's definitely accessible at your local farmers market.
If it's not FDA approved, doesn't that mean that their could be possible issues? I know GNC sells a lot of supplements that have later been taken off the shelf because people have died or because it was causing organ failures.

There could be possible issues even with FDA approval - their standards really aren't as stringent as we might think. Pharma companies shovel money into the FDA and to those performing the clinical trials on their drug of choice - it's a vicious cycle, and IMO a bit of a conflict of interest. But nevertheless, ya - you're right there could be some issues, and that's the risk people are taking. But they are by no means illegal just because they aren't FDA approved, and like some above said, they are def accessible to everyone.

PS - watch the documentary "Food Matters" if you're bored over the holiday break - I can admit it's a bit biased, but still sheds some insight on potential conspiracies in the medical and pharmaceutical industries

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it's cheating. These drugs are not like, say, steroids - they don't enable you to do something that's physically impossible to match without them. A person not using it with sufficient discipline can still study just as hard and perform equally well (or better) than someone that does. It may make the process easier for some, but it does not make the impossible miraculously possible.

Nor do I find anything unethical about someone improving their ability to learn. Stealing the answers to an exam and using them is unethical. Having a friend take a test for you is unethical. Using a legal drug that improves your ability to actually learn the material is not.

This is like suggesting coffee is unethical or cheating because it helps you stay up easier to study more than someone who didn't drink it. Notice that not a single person thus far that has said the use of cognitive enhancing drugs is cheating has actually substantiated an argument as to why it's cheating.

Reactions: 4 users
If it's not FDA approved, doesn't that mean that their could be possible issues? I know GNC sells a lot of supplements that have later been taken off the shelf because people have died or because it was causing organ failures.
Yea there's risk but same with FDA approved drugs, anyways, supplements don't have to be FDA regulated, you can even have your own supplement made and sell it

Don't waste your time unless you are getting legitimate prescriptions from a physician, aka evidence based pharmacology. You are pissing out most supplements you buy over the counter / the efficacy is worthless. Most of these "nootropic supplments" sold OTC don't cross the BBB fyi.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a good idea especially cause many dental schools require a drug test in order to enroll and it might come up on test

ROFL.... what an asinine conversation. If taking "nootropics" gives someone the motivation get off/on there butt to study, then good for them. Swallow all the placebo pills you can get your hands on.

Do you have the internet? Good, you can access them.

ROFL.... what an asinine conversation. If taking "nootropics" gives someone the motivation get off/on there butt to study, then good for them. Swallow all the placebo pills you can get your hands on.

Do you have the internet? Good, you can access them.

this... most nootropics are just a placebo. I've read studies, and most had insignificant results.

Thank you for ure thoughts. Really good information. I`m new with nootropics. Found some stacks here: nootropicboost. Looks like its a new site, there is no those stacks what youre talking about.

Future health care workers' conversations here.........ah-----! facepalm.:arghh: