Normal PE findings write up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larklark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction towards where I could find a resource that gives a comprehensive write up of normal findings. I'll be having a series of OSCEs in a few months and want to prepare beforehand in order to make sure I don't miss out on anything. For some reason, when I perform PE on patients in my previous rotations, I frequently entirely forget to do something (for example, checking for fremiti). Hopefully there's a guide somewhere where I can refresh my PE skills?

Something like:
Cardiac

Inspection: Chest is symmetric, no scars. No cardiac heaves or lifts. Symmetrical expansion with respiration, no other wall motions.

Palpation: No thrills appreciated. Point of maximal impulse (PMI) (apical impulse) noted at midclavicular line, in fifth intercostal space.

Auscultation: Normal S1 and S2, with regular rate and rhythm. S2 > S1 at the base, S1 > S2 at apex. No splitting of the heart sounds heard. No murmur. No S3 or S4, no friction rub.

Maneuvers: No murmur is heard while squatting or upon release of valsalva, standing or during valsalva strain.

Neck:

Inspection: No jugular venous distention or pulsations.

Auscultation: No carotid bruits, or transmitted murmur. Carotid pulses 2/4 bilaterally.

Peripheral vascular:

Extremities

Inspection: No rashes, swelling, color change, or cyanosis in arms or legs. No signs of venous stasis or arterial insufficiency in legs, with normal hair distribution, and no pigmentation around ankles. No spider veins on legs and thighs bilaterally. No clubbing in fingernails. Capillary refill is brink (<1 sec).

Palpation: Hands warm and pink. Feet are a bit cool to the touch and pale, but equal bilaterally. No pitting or non-pitting edema in feet.

Palpation of Pulses:

Carotid: 2/4 bilaterally

Radial: 2/4 bilaterally

Brachial: 2/4 bilaterally

Femoral: right 2/4, left 2/4

Popliteal: right 2/4, left 2/4

Posterior tibial: right 1/4, left 1/4

Dorsalis pedis: right 2/4, left 2/4

Members don't see this ad.

Uh... my normal PE findings consist mostly of "Dressing C/D/I, abd s/nt/nd"

To my credit, I will record a pulse exam when I rotate on vascular.

Tactile fremitus? What's the CXR show?
Murmur? What's the echo show?

But if you want to learn all the fun PE stuff that you'll never use, read Bates.

Reactions: 2 users
Tailor your PE to the service you're on/the patient's complaint. If you do literally everything for every system 1) your note will be 5 pages 2) you're not really showing evolution from a data miner to a synthesizer/interpreter.

Reactions: 1 users
Bates is a great book. Save money and buy an older version (the physical exam isn't really changing too much) and it will be <$20. Or if you can, find a pdf and go for it.

11th Edition: Amazon product
10th Edition: Amazon product