North-American trained surgeons: Can they work in the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've known very few surgeons who were able to practice -as visitors- in UK hospitals. But I haven't inquired about the specifics. So my question is, if you are an American board- or Canadian RCS-certified surgeon, is their a clear pathway would enable you to establish your practice in the UK, without all the PLAB and MRCS exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've known very few surgeons who were able to practice -as visitors- in UK hospitals. But I haven't inquired about the specifics. So my question is, if you are an American board- or Canadian RCS-certified surgeon, is their a clear pathway would enable you to establish your practice in the UK, without all the PLAB and MRCS exams?

If you are board certified there is a long and annoying process to enable you to work in the UK at least within certain surgical specialties, maybe all but I'm not sure. Look at the RCSEng website. Other than the hours I'm not sure a US trained surgeon would enjoy it though, there are a lot of differences, some better, some worse but it would be a huge adjustment.

If you are board certified there is a long and annoying process to enable you to work in the UK at least within certain surgical specialties, maybe all but I'm not sure. Look at the RCSEng website. Other than the hours I'm not sure a US trained surgeon would enjoy it though, there are a lot of differences, some better, some worse but it would be a huge adjustment.
Can anyone give me the detail syllabus of he JCI AND JC2 First year madical school
I am admittedd for 2014/2015 RCSI Bahrain