North East Job Market sucks, no chance in west coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRFAM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was at MDAnderson Oncology Board Review in Texas. Being a 3rd year Oncologist looking for jobs, I got engage into conversation with several people already employed. I was disappointed with their attitudes though. Seemed like there was a clear consensus that the compensation in East Coast is close to nothing while the chance of becoming a partner in the west coast is almost impossible.

To me certainly money was not the priority when I got into this field. Nevertheless, I'd hope to get to enjoy a comfortable life after all the years I have put in medicine and particularly Hematology/Oncology ( I had to do some years of research before I was admitted) . I'd prefer the East Coast where I have some friends and family. I never expected to make millions not even half a million out of my specialty but $180-220 in the East coast is not really that much for a family with 2,3, kids unless your partner happens to have decent income.

My question, maybe repetitively asked before, is there a chance of an income closer to $300 in the east coast once you become a partner? How about hospital based, what is the average compensation?

Any thought would be greatly appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was at MDAnderson Oncology Board Review in Texas. Being a 3rd year Oncologist looking for jobs, I got engage into conversation with several people already employed. I was disappointed with their attitudes though. Seemed like there was a clear consensus that the compensation in East Coast is close to nothing while the chance of becoming a partner in the west coast is almost impossible.

To me certainly money was not the priority when I got into this field. Nevertheless, I'd hope to get to enjoy a comfortable life after all the years I have put in medicine and particularly Hematology/Oncology ( I had to do some years of research before I was admitted) . I'd prefer the East Coast where I have some friends and family. I never expected to make millions not even half a million out of my specialty but $180-220 in the East coast is not really that much for a family with 2,3, kids unless your partner happens to have decent income.

My question, maybe repetitively asked before, is there a chance of an income closer to $300 in the east coast once you become a partner? How about hospital based, what is the average compensation?

Any thought would be greatly appreciate.

From what I have seen and what my Oncologist friends have told me (I am an Internist) the market is either amazing or terrible with not much gray area. Example: Long Island and Northern NJ pay 180's for Oncology with very little room to grow much past 300K in several years due to the overwhelming competition and cost of doing business. These are the places where you are on call 1:3 for life with the hopes of making 300K in 3-5 years with LOTS of hard work (weekends, nights and on call).

On the other hand I have a friend that just got an offer as a fresh graduate this July for 400K starting in New Mexico with a 3 year potential to hit 600K when he is full throttle. The only catch is he is on call 1:2. But the oncology emergencies get transferred to tertiary care and he spends lots of time doing outpatient chemo and easy hospital consults for DVTs.

Unlike most other fields Oncology seems to have the widest gap in compensation depending on market saturation.

I am probably going to apply next year for Oncology and try to move out from NY (where I am from) to the southwest or Midwest when I graduate (If I can get into hem/onc of course).

It's a great field with a great future depending on where you look.

I'm hearing crappy news about the coasts and Chicago, while smaller cities in the midwest seem to be doing nicely.

In towns like Indy and Columbus, I have heard of people hitting >$500k once they get up to 'full throttle' etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
An update on my previous post. I interviewed at two hospitals in MA. Small hospitals one in the suburb of Boston, the other within 25, 15-20 patients per day. Compensation around $240k. Another hospital in SF, CA area offered $290k...

Last edited:
An update on my previous post. I interviewed at two hospitals in MA. One was a hospital 20m from Boston and the other was located in western Mass. Both small hospitals, fixed salary, 12-16 patients in a working day. The compensation for the former was 240-270k while the latter offered $270-290! The benefit package was not all that good at either. Also received an offer from a hospital 20 miles from Berkeley, CA. Again fixed salary of $295!
Just FYI...for employed positions those salaries are pretty damn good.

you are already lucky OP, as you can choose between different coast. I am in MA an need to look for job a very specific location in west coast. Have an interview this month matching exactly what I want-- bless me. I don't care about my salary now as a fresh graduate, I think as your experience grows your salary will keep going..

Also just so you guys know, this thread holds true for everyone, not just Oncology. I can't even find a General Surgery position available in many larger cities on the coasts, never mind asking what the salary of this non-existant position is. You just have to realize that, unfortunately, the job markets are saturated in the major cities. It results in a paradoxical situation where you get paid less to work in higher cost-of-living markets ...and people still go for it because they're horrified that they might see a cow when they're driving to work. Often, the markets are dominated by people who have been there for decades, which exacerbates the situation even more (i.e., there's no need for you because some guy there is already vaccuuming up every patient in a thirty-mile radius).

For those who are still in looking for jobs, Yale had opened up a position for its satellite clinic.

MikeErhmentraut--

If you plan a career in community-based practice, and know the general location, begin an informal search now. Your fellowship colleagues are likely to give you the most actionable information/advice.

I agree with the previous posts on this thread; the job market is bad everywhere.

Be very careful in regards to "outreach" / "satellite" clinics. If you are to jump on that grenade for a hospital system, make sure you will have real support from the administration.

Reactions: 1 user
Your formal search should start at the end of 2nd year but no harm in poking around now if you know the area you want to go. Places that may not be hiring now might in 2 or 3 years and vice versa. If your name is already in front of some people, they may think about coming to you if a spot opens up.

As to the job market, the graduates from my mid-tier program have had multiple job offers in both academic and community spots in the geographic areas they wanted to go to over the past 3 years including the Northwest, SoCal, New England, Chicago and Philly. Not saying it's not tough, just that the jobs are out there.

As for the satellite clinic issue, there are a variety of these out there, not all of which are a ticking bomb (although some are). Many are former PP groups that sold out to a hospital system for a variety of reasons. The group I work for is one of these. 12 docs in 5 clinics and we see ~20% more outpatients than the 46 docs at the University do annually.

Another friend of mine interviewed for one of these jobs in New England which was a solo practice being bought by a hospital just prior to the only doc retiring. Couldn't pay me enough to do that.