north shore long island jewish thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoopyswoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts about this program? I was pleasantly surprised on my visit. They seem to have a fairly good peds surgery dept ( + fellowship), residents all seemed very happy, large research institute w/ funding. As someone who wants to go into peds surg (or at least be competitive / at a place that will prepare me for fellowship matching) at this point, would I be at a disadvantage if I went to a relatively lesser-known place/ non "top tier" program such as NSLIJ vs a more well-known academic program? they matched a chief at their own peds surg program last year but didn't have any other easily discoverable fellowship matching data for peds surg.

I don't really know their reputation in the general surgery circle; my only frame of reference is that most people at my large academic program in the midwest are very unfamiliar with it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no strong geographic preferences, but my whole family is in new york so that is the appeal of LIJ, if it's a good/respected program. However, if it is truly lower-tier and going to negatively impact my chances of obtaining a competitive fellowship (ahem, peds) I won't rank it as highly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised they have an average Step 1 of 232...

I have no strong geographic preferences, but my whole family is in new york so that is the appeal of LIJ, if it's a good/respected program. However, if it is truly lower-tier and going to negatively impact my chances of obtaining a competitive fellowship (ahem, peds) I won't rank it as highly.

If you really want to do pediatric surgery, you should be primarily looking at locations that have a fellowship associated with the residency program. The second tier would be programs that don't have one, but have a track record of putting people into these programs. Third tier would be strong academic programs. Fourth tier would be pretty much everything else.

Here's the full list of programs:

https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/display8.cfm?NAV_ROW=PAR&SPEC_CD=445

It looks like NS-LIJ does have the program there, so it'd be one to consider.