Northeast FL state hospital NE FL or Larned State Hospital Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josy811

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I hope everyone is doing well. Has anyone interviewed at the Northeast Florida State Hospital (NE FL ) in Macclenny Fl or Larned State Hospital in Larned Kansas? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Florida vs Rural Kansas? Hmmm....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know in the past the predoctoral interns had to be eligible for licensure as a Licensed Masters Level Psychologist in Kansas for the Larned State Hospital positions. One good thing is they provide housing and meals plus a good stipend in the $30,000 range.

It is only one-year and some of their interns get BOP positions or BOP Postdoc positions. I have heard that a number of predocs continue with postdocs at Larned.

I believed they have a sexual predator rehabilitation civil commitment program and they have a national Forensic Psychology Conference every year on site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know in the past the predoctoral interns had to be eligible for licensure as a Licensed Masters Level Psychologist in Kansas for the Larned State Hospital positions. One good thing is they provide housing and meals plus a good stipend in the $40,000 range.

It is only one-year and some of their interns get BOP positions or BOP Postdoc positions. I have heard that a number of predocs continue with postdocs at Larned.

I believed they have a sexual predator rehabilitation civil commitment program and they have a national Forensic Psychology Conference every year on site.

Thanks so much for the information i really appreciate it. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I know in the past the predoctoral interns had to be eligible for licensure as a Licensed Masters Level Psychologist in Kansas for the Larned State Hospital positions. One good thing is they provide housing and meals plus a good stipend in the $40,000 range.

Also, any feedback about Saint Elizabeths Hospital in DC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: Larned, the town is essentially the hospital and surrounding correctional facilities. That's it. They do offer free housing...here's the catch- you live in a dorm with other staff. They are constantly sending out emails to try and get people to stay there. Now....st. e's; there seems to be a significant amount of consistency in the feedback I've heard from both interns and fellows---you're working, not training. I also heard they were lacking in the formal didactic arena, although this is more circumscribed to the fellowship. I interviewed at both and thought the staff at both facilities seemed down to earth/ easy to work with.

Reactions: 1 user
Re: Larned, the town is essentially the hospital and surrounding correctional facilities. That's it. They do offer free housing...here's the catch- you live in a dorm with other staff. They are constantly sending out emails to try and get people to stay there. Now....st. e's; there seems to be a significant amount of consistency in the feedback I've heard from both interns and fellows---you're working, not training. I also heard they were lacking in the formal didactic arena, although this is more circumscribed to the fellowship. I interviewed at both and thought the staff at both facilities seemed down to earth/ easy to work with.

@BuckeyeLove Wow thanks soon much for the informative feedback!!!!!! You are awesome! I really appreciate it. Is additional housing around Larned or Great Bend available?

I would pick Larned. Its about an hour from Hays, which is a decent small town in KS. I would live close to Hays and commute if I can make it a ~45 minute drive. Hays has a tiny downtown, some big stores, and 2 brewpubs; not bad for rural living. The pay is MONEY for the cost of living. Similarly, they have well paying post doc positions.

You can do long drive day trips to Manhattan or Wichita. or long weekend trips to Denver, Kansas City or Tulsa. Finally, politically and socially Kansas is a much better place than Florida, imo.

Reactions: 1 users
I would pick Larned. Its about an hour from Hays, which is a decent small town in KS. I would live close to Hays and commute if I can make it a ~45 minute drive. Hays has a tiny downtown, some big stores, and 2 brewpubs; not bad for rural living. The pay is MONEY for the cost of living. Similarly, they have well paying post doc positions.

You can do long drive day trips to Manhattan or Wichita. or long weekend trips to Denver, Kansas City or Tulsa. Finally, politically and socially Kansas is a much better place than Florida, imo.

@DynamicDidactic awesome thanks for the info :)

I've lived near Macclenny, it's basically Georgia. Definitely not the ideal Florida sun-soaked beach city. Not far from Jacksonville, though.

@
I've lived near Macclenny, it's basically Georgia. Definitely not the ideal Florida sun-soaked beach city. Not far from Jacksonville, though.

@erg923

@erg923 i just got back from Macclenny, you are right now the typical florida beach city but it was very cute. Thanks for the information :)

I found this thread because I’m also deciding between northeast and larned, as well as other similar sites. I know this post is three years old but I’ve recently heard negative things about larned... I’m so torn! The training seems solid but now it sounds like it may not be that safe of a site.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile