Northeastern Ohio Med School has a Post Bac/MD - Anyone know anything about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First 2 years doing pre-reqs at Cleveland State University, then guaranteed admission to NEOMED.

Their focus is primary care and urban health. I guess you can get a second BS.

I don't know much about Ohio, and I hear residents may get some preference, but I might look into this.

Is NEOMED a good school?

I don't want to match outside of primary care - I want to do a combined FM/Psych residency with an EM fellowship ...

Thoughts? I googled last year's match list and it wasn't too shabby. About 50% stay in Ohio, but I did some some residencies outside of primary care.

If anyone knows anything about this program or any others like it, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/medicine/csu/partnership-with-cleveland-state-university

Members don't see this ad.

Not a NEOMED person myself, but I did interview there and have worked with their students/graduates (medically and administratively). As always, take all of this with a grain of salt.

NEOMED is a rare beast in that a significant portion of their student base is from the BS/MD track. Average matriculating age for the MD program is younger than normal; and their emphasis is on ensuring those students have seats. There's a high preference for in-state students (their mission statement and part of their state funding goes toward retention in Ohio in general and NE Ohio in particular), but there are some older/non-trad/OOS students that fill out each class.

My understanding is that they're focusing on urban health and mental/behavioral health specifically. If that's your cup of tea, it's worth a look.

As for being a "good" school... it's hard to compare it due to its setup (consortium of universities vs. a single one) and the fact that its purpose and mandate are different than most of the other state schools. If you're interested in FM/Psych, it may serve your purpose. There's also a one-year FM/Community Health fellowship that's fairly new, and would potentially save you a year of residency (assuming you went FM at the outset).

Also keep in mind that, if you haven't started undergrad yet, you'd be doing at least 12 years of training post-HS with your current plan (6 for BS/MD, 5 for FM/Psych, 1 for EM fellowship). You'll also probably change your mind on what you like and don't (lifestyle considerations, soul-sucking rotations, etc.) over the course of your education. Not discouraging you in any way; just giving you a friendly heads-up before you jump headlong into things.

Good luck!