Northstar Acquires Continental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metalblade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah....these AMCs are spreading like a virus. Sheridan recently acquired a large group in Atlanta.

Based on the package they offered several years ago, things will probably get better for new hires. The PP groups in Chicago are extremely predatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the package they offered several years ago, things will probably get better for new hires. The PP groups in Chicago are extremely predatory.
Agree.

I posted something similar with the Georgia northside buyout.
Newer grads will not get screwed by predatory groups and potentially not offered partnership at the end of 3-5 years.

With AMCs. U know what do are getting. Although some newly purchased groups leaders "obviously run by same private practice previous owners" may try to rig the systems in the their favor by taking less weekend calls (see Lawrencevile Mednax gas work ads circa 2012/2013 advertising for weekend full time positions) so the old guard can take less weekend calls

Reactions: 1 users
Did they take over a Cincinnati based practice recently?

And why not? The crime...the cost of living...they hold all of the cards. Who wouldn't kill to be part of a practice in a place like that?

I hope bundled payments deal a blow to these AMCs.

I hope bundled payments deal a blow to these AMCs.
I think it will deal a blow to all anesthesiologists. You have to sit down with surgeon and the hospital to fight for your piece of the pie. Some of us may be better negotiators than others, but as a whole, I don't feel like we have much power at the table. We're quite replaceable. AMC may have more negotiating power at the table since they are bigger. Just like negotiating with insurance companies.

I think it will deal a blow to all anesthesiologists. You have to sit down with surgeon and the hospital to fight for your piece of the pie. Some of us may be better negotiators than others, but as a whole, I don't feel like we have much power at the table. We're quite replaceable. AMC may have more negotiating power at the table since they are bigger. Just like negotiating with insurance companies.

Good thoughts. I'd rather go with the devil I don't know instead of the devil I do. It will allow for smaller players to undercut these AMCs and secure their own work. There are base laws in place for pay so I'm not too worried about it. These bundled deals are starting soon and it is only the beginning, so I think AMCs may be losing steam.