Northstar Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice, I'd like to see more of my attendings do their own cases. With AMC takeovers being a real threat even in academics, it makes me wonder if some of the older folks could survive on their own. Maybe its like riding a bike? Perhaps a very rusty bike in need of a major tune up before it can be safely ridden?

It takes a few weeks to get you ESP and slickness back. My first job was 100% supervision. It is like riding a bike. After a few weeks. Exception for subspecialty knowledge that you don't use. That is a lot harder to get back.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the rough numbers I calculated, new, non-boarded, non-fellowship trained attendings at my place make around 160/hr. Not bad pay to sit around and surf ebay/craigslist/triathlon sites all day while the residents do your work. They aren't required to do their own cases, there is exactly one day per year (16 hours actually) where 3 (un)lucky attendings staff the OR's while the residents rest/take the ITE. Rarely a younger attending will do a few of their own cases in July when staffing is lean. Pretty boring though, perhaps that's why some of them seem miserable and have have low career satisfaction compared to the PP folks I rotated with as a med student. This is one of the top reasons I am not choosing a career in academics despite the fact that I like teaching and working with residents.

Having spent a year as an academic junior attending and many years in MD only PP, I found it MUCH less stressful to do everything myself. Supervising is not easy, especially with residents who are by definition novices. But that's just me and the reason I only ever looked at MD only practices.

Deathstar currently taking over a very established PP in Western KY. I know someone who went there. 5 docs (2 older and 3 more recent grads on partnership track) and someteen CRNA's. They told the 2 older docs to hit the road and are "renegotiating" the younger MD's contracts. Moral of this story: don't buy a house that is so expensive that you limit resale in this profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes a few weeks to get you ESP and slickness back. My first job was 100% supervision. It is like riding a bike. After a few weeks. Exception for subspecialty knowledge that you don't use. That is a lot harder to get back.

I agree. I'm in my first gig and do 95% supervision of CRNAs and Residents. I get enough hands on time such that I (yeah, i'm only recently out of residency so what would you expect) really feel as if I can take over any case with ease. As time goes on, perhaps it will take a few weeks to get back some slickness, but I agree that it's not as big an issue as many might suggest. Frankly, I was WORRIED that it could be that, and we all know the chart signers never in the OR whom I'm sure that happens to, but 100% supervision is not mutually exclusive with losing your mojo should you need (shall I say "get to") to sit your own cases in another gig. Also, the residents keep me very fresh.

Having spent a year as an academic junior attending and many years in MD only PP, I found it MUCH less stressful to do everything myself. Supervising is not easy, especially with residents who are by definition novices. But that's just me and the reason I only ever looked at MD only practices.

Having to allow a mediocre resident fumble his/her way through a procedure is THE most stressful aspect of my gig. I am serious.

Generally, running 3-4 rooms with regional and GA can be challenging as well, for sure. You need to be fast, efficient, and to really hustle. 4 rooms with blocks and GA's are not ideal.....

I don't dislike supervision, and there are some perks (avoiding the long "autopilot" boredom of some of our marathon vascular/limb salvage cases), but sitting you own cases also has advantages.

Reactions: 1 user
Deathstar currently taking over a very established PP in Western KY. I know someone who went there. 5 docs (2 older and 3 more recent grads on partnership track) and someteen CRNA's. They told the 2 older docs to hit the road and are "renegotiating" the younger MD's contracts. Moral of this story: don't buy a house that is so expensive that you limit resale in this profession.

Was this group BOUGHT OUT?? Or were they outcompeted for a contract?

Northstar doesn't buy out groups. They just back doored em. They tell new grads "get paid for today's work today" to recruit and poo poo partnership tracks, but in reality they will pay you for half of today's work forever. One place they really cut costs is their paltry benefits package.

Northstar doesn't buy out groups. They just back doored em. They tell new grads "get paid for today's work today" to recruit and poo poo partnership tracks, but in reality they will pay you for half of today's work forever. One place they really cut costs is their paltry benefits package.

I thought as much.....

Hate to hear that. If they bought huge houses in Western Kentucky it's going to likely take them a long time to unload them. Really hate it for those guys/gals, if it's the Paducah area that's actually a really nice place to live.

This just in. A group in Louisville, KY is being taken over by Deathstar. This group covers several facilities for a "nonprofit" hospital called Norton's (who was listed as the 4th most profitable hospital system in the country). Consists of almost 20 docs and 40-50 CRNA's in their group! Beware if Northstar is the future of anesthesia.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20160502/NEWS/160509991

Last edited:
This just in. Spoke with a friend from residency whose private practice group in Louisville Kentucky is apparently being taken over by Deathstar. According to him, their group covers several facilities for a "nonprofit" hospital called Norton's (who was listed as the 4th most profitable hospital system in the country). He says there are almost 20 docs and 40-50 CRNA's in their group! Apparently those 8 figure paychecks still weren't enough for the administrators of Norton. Beware if Northstar is the future of anesthesia.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20160502/NEWS/160509991
Yep. Just another in a long, eventual list of AMC takeovers.

This just in. Spoke with a friend from residency whose private practice group in Louisville Kentucky is apparently being taken over by Deathstar.

Sold out to AMC or contract taken over against their will by AMC? Same end result for future hires, but drastic difference to the docs there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, my hospital is also on that list, currently in process of AMC takeover. I'm GTFO though.

Unscientific, but I pulled a list of the NorthStar jobs on Gaswork and saw listed salaries of $400k to $600k. I clicked on one at random and saw 8 weeks of vacation listed too. This doesn't seem like the worst deal in the country, especially for a newer graduate. I know, if you are a partner and making $750k this is a decrease and you lose some/all autonomy, but it seems like they offer a much better deal than many of the other AMCs (Sheridan comes to mind). Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Unscientific, but I pulled a list of the NorthStar jobs on Gaswork and saw listed salaries of $400k to $600k. I clicked on one at random and saw 8 weeks of vacation listed too. This doesn't seem like the worst deal in the country, especially for a newer graduate. I know, if you are a partner and making $750k this is a decrease and you lose some/all autonomy, but it seems like they offer a much better deal than many of the other AMCs (Sheridan comes to mind). Is there more to this than meets the eye?
Absolutely. Classic bait and switch. Dig deeper young Jedi and you shall uncover the truth. Part of that salary will most likely be tied to a "bonus" with metrics that no human can achieve.

Starting to look for a job too....can't lie, this same thing also crossed my mind. Must be a absolutely awful to work for them?

In my city, Northstar has a listing on gaswork nearly 200K higher than a pp starts out new grads on the partnership track. Not sure how all the benefits factor in.

From the stories I've heard, I think it might have to be more like a million dollar difference to consider making myself miserable and not liking my job.

I'm sure Northstar folks have heard this type of stuff and have read this forum....I wonder if they've improved their setup so that new grads don't see the posting and automatically think "deathstar"

Recognize that at any Northstar sight the most powerful employee is the lead CRNA, and NOT the doc. The lead CRNA reports directly to the regional person who, in most cases, will end up being a CRNA who is climbing their corporate ladder and is minimally clinical. The progress their CRNA's up the corporate ladder much faster because it is cheaper to use them. If they advance a doc, they have to bump a much higher salary than when the advance the CRNA's.
Their model also relies heavily on not filling slots so that you are working 1.5 FTE's for your 400k 1099 (or a W-2 that has virtually no benefits). The company truly considers its docs dead weight and a current cost of doing business that will be phased out as soon as they can. They will take a small facility that has 5 docs, let 2 of them go, and then tell the remaining 3 they are "aggressively recruiting", meanwhile working them that much more with less overhead and more profit.
Each individual as a physician has to decide what you are willing to tolerate. Also, you may want to consider down the road how that dynamic may effect your decision making and your job satisfaction, and perhaps most importantly your job security in a changing anesthesia climate. A little bit of money out of residency will only provide so much fulfillment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Recognize that at any Northstar sight the most powerful employee is the lead CRNA, and NOT the doc. The lead CRNA reports directly to the regional person who, in most cases, will end up being a CRNA who is climbing their corporate ladder and is minimally clinical. The progress their CRNA's up the corporate ladder much faster because it is cheaper to use them. If they advance a doc, they have to bump a much higher salary than when the advance the CRNA's.
Their model also relies heavily on not filling slots so that you are working 1.5 FTE's for your 400k 1099 (or a W-2 that has virtually no benefits). The company truly considers its docs dead weight and a current cost of doing business that will be phased out as soon as they can. They will take a small facility that has 5 docs, let 2 of them go, and then tell the remaining 3 they are "aggressively recruiting", meanwhile working them that much more with less overhead and more profit.
Each individual as a physician has to decide what you are willing to tolerate. Also, you may want to consider down the road how that dynamic may effect your decision making and your job satisfaction, and perhaps most importantly your job security in a changing anesthesia climate. A little bit of money out of residency will only provide so much fulfillment.

Sounds like the private practice I am at...only I make less than half of what northstar is offering with half the vacation time.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked into a northstar job that one of my classmate worked at. It didn't seem too bad and he's happy enough with it to keep staying there for now. It would have been a better job than my current, in which I'm an employee of a group getting taken over by a different AMC.

I found a pretty sweet pp gig with 1 year partnership track and highly transparent though, so that was the obvious choice.

Interesting...thanks for the info. I'm not really looking but it is good to have a sense of what the downfalls are at each of these AMCs.

There is no such thing as a good AMC!

Approach with extreme caution. Again, they will allow (or create) enough attrition that the docs are at least covering 1.5 FTE's. They will staff each position however they can (ex. often working docs post call, providing zero benefits, having you "supervise" 7-8 rooms, listing it as a 1099) so that they can make the package appear fiscally tolerable on the surface (pumping the numbers). Shortly after arrival, it will be apparent that the company is based upon devaluing the docs. Upon this realization, ask yourself "if they don't value me, why would they pay me?". The answer is, as soon as they don't have to (opt out, changing hospital by-laws, etc), they will trim the fat (you). There is a reason they are wanting you to show their CRNA's how to do blocks, allowing them to induce, etc. At the end of the day, when you are looking at salaries/pay, you are actually looking for security. How secure are you gonna be buying that nice house, putting your kids in school, and integrating in the local community for a position with a group that will release you the moment circumstances will permit.

Last edited:
Approach with extreme caution. Again, they will allow (or create) enough attrition that the docs are at least covering 1.5 FTE's. They will staff each position however they can (ex. often working docs post call, providing zero benefits, having you "supervise" 7-8 rooms, listing it as a 1099) so that they can make the package appear fiscally tolerable on the surface (pumping the numbers). Shortly after arrival, it will be apparent that the company is based upon devaluing the docs. Upon this realization, ask yourself "if they don't value me, why would they pay me?". The answer is, as soon as they don't have to (opt out, changing hospital by-laws, etc), they will trim the fat (you). There is a reason they are wanting you to show their CRNA's how to do blocks, allowing them to induce, etc. At the end of the day, when you are looking at salaries/pay, you are actually looking for security. How secure are you gonna be buying that nice house, putting your kids in school, and integrating in the local community for a position with a group that will release you the moment circumstances will permit.

Have you worked with them previously?

Northstar jobs might differ from place to place, but I am a current employee of NorthStar and thus far I am pretty happy. I've been on SDN long enough for some people to know that I am not a troll or even a real optimist. I call myself a realist and sometimes reality sucks. Anyway, my current job with Northstar was the best offer that I heard of from my co-residents and co-fellows in my state. I am in the Midwest, I work 50 to 55hrs/week. When I am rounding in the ICU I sometimes have worked as high as 65hrs in a week but that was only once and usually average 55 to 60hrs a week.

My salary is $440K, $20K of that is a metrics bonus, so even without it my guaranteed income is $420K. I do 4, 24hr calls a month one of them is a weekend i.e. Saturday or Sunday, but then one of them is a Thursday so I have a 3 day weekend too. I get 9 weeks of vacation, $3,500/yr for CME, $900/yr for cell phone, and they contribute $9,000/yr to my 401K. DEA, Medical license, and Malpractice Insurance including Tail Coverage is paid for. During the months that I round 1 week in the ICU I have 1 less general call that month and no other weekend call. Our calls are 24hrs if we stay past 7am on post call day we get paid $187/hr, if we do more than 4 calls a month we get paid $1,500 per weekday call with post call day off or $3,000 for weekend call, which I’ve done and gotten paid a few times for.

I supervise both CRNA’s and Residents, I do everything except hearts and most of my calls are OB. Other places I interviewed wanted me to mainly do thoracic or vascular because of my Critical Care training and wouldn’t let me do OB or Regional. Since I was fresh out of residency/fellowship I wanted to be able to do everything to keep the skills sharp and this place lets me do that. So far they have delivered on everything they promised, the only thing that’s lagging behind is our metrics bonus which we’re one quarter behind on but thus far has been paid out to us in full.

Does this sound like a bad gig to you guys? Sure I’ll never make $600K or whatever partners were making 5 years ago but 90% of new grads won’t make that either. Every where else I interviewed started me off at $300K or less and I would eventually over 3 years get to $400K. My friend works in Orlando for an AMC as well he didn’t do a fellowship, makes $410K and has 11weeks vacation working roughly the same hours as me. That doesn’t sound half bad as well.

I am not saying I wouldn’t rather work for a private group or hell even do my own cases but for family reasons I need to be in this region. And private groups are fading fast. Like everyone on here says pretty soon the three options for us will be Hospital Employee, AMC Employee or Academics.

Reactions: 5 users
Northstar jobs might differ from place to place, but I am a current employee of NorthStar and thus far I am pretty happy. I've been on SDN long enough for some people to know that I am not a troll or even a real optimist. I call myself a realist and sometimes reality sucks. Anyway, my current job with Northstar was the best offer that I heard of from my co-residents and co-fellows in my state. I am in the Midwest, I work 50 to 55hrs/week. When I am rounding in the ICU I sometimes have worked as high as 65hrs in a week but that was only once and usually average 55 to 60hrs a week.

My salary is $440K, $20K of that is a metrics bonus, so even without it my guaranteed income is $420K. I do 4, 24hr calls a month one of them is a weekend i.e. Saturday or Sunday, but then one of them is a Thursday so I have a 3 day weekend too. I get 9 weeks of vacation, $3,500/yr for CME, $900/yr for cell phone, and they contribute $9,000/yr to my 401K. DEA, Medical license, and Malpractice Insurance including Tail Coverage is paid for. During the months that I round 1 week in the ICU I have 1 less general call that month and no other weekend call. Our calls are 24hrs if we stay past 7am on post call day we get paid $187/hr, if we do more than 4 calls a month we get paid $1,500 per weekday call with post call day off or $3,000 for weekend call, which I’ve done and gotten paid a few times for.

I supervise both CRNA’s and Residents, I do everything except hearts and most of my calls are OB. Other places I interviewed wanted me to mainly do thoracic or vascular because of my Critical Care training and wouldn’t let me do OB or Regional. Since I was fresh out of residency/fellowship I wanted to be able to do everything to keep the skills sharp and this place lets me do that. So far they have delivered on everything they promised, the only thing that’s lagging behind is our metrics bonus which we’re one quarter behind on but thus far has been paid out to us in full.

Does this sound like a bad gig to you guys? Sure I’ll never make $600K or whatever partners were making 5 years ago but 90% of new grads won’t make that either. Every where else I interviewed started me off at $300K or less and I would eventually over 3 years get to $400K. My friend works in Orlando for an AMC as well he didn’t do a fellowship, makes $410K and has 11weeks vacation working roughly the same hours as me. That doesn’t sound half bad as well.

I am not saying I wouldn’t rather work for a private group or hell even do my own cases but for family reasons I need to be in this region. And private groups are fading fast. Like everyone on here says pretty soon the three options for us will be Hospital Employee, AMC Employee or Academics.
While I agree that your current practice sounds tolerable, as market forces change, what's to stop Northstar from coming in and handing everyone new contracts that slash things (or worse, pink slips)? From what I have heard, this is in fact how they acquire facilities to begin with. They supposedly count on enough people having mortgages, etc. that they can keep the doors open according to the doc that I know at a facility that was taken over. She also said that their contracts have an escalating tail and their retirement has a vesting schedule designed to further discourage/penalize any flight while also cost shifting in the event they lose a contract. The numbers you give don't sound bad on the surface, but if I were finishing residency I would think twice before moving my family, taking out a mortgage, relocating, and planting roots. It sounds like that is precisely what they hope for you to do.

While I agree that your current practice sounds tolerable, as market forces change, what's to stop Northstar from coming in and handing everyone new contracts that slash things (or worse, pink slips)? From what I have heard, this is in fact how they acquire facilities to begin with. They supposedly count on enough people having mortgages, etc. that they can keep the doors open according to the doc that I know at a facility that was taken over. She also said that their contracts have an escalating tail and their retirement has a vesting schedule designed to further discourage/penalize any flight while also cost shifting in the event they lose a contract. The numbers you give don't sound bad on the surface, but if I were finishing residency I would think twice before moving my family, taking out a mortgage, relocating, and planting roots. It sounds like that is precisely what they hope for you to do.

My vesting period on my 401k is 3 years, but even still they're only contributing $9,000 per year which isn't a lot of money. If they change my contract I'll leave and now with work experience I'll be able to negotiate better deals with other groups in the area. I am worried about my contract being changed but AMC's or Hospital employee is really the only viable choice in my area and to make more money I'll take that risk right now. Private practice groups in my area start you off at $200 to $250 and only the senior or managing partners make the big bucks everyone else makes around $400k. With critical care I'm in demand in this area. Worst case I work for the big university and it will basically be like working part time. The days of people making $600k or more are more of less long gone at least for new grads and in my area. I am starting a family so I don't really care where I work or who I work for, as long as the hours aren't too bad I'll work for who ever gives me the most money which for now is NorthStar.

Everyone has to make their own choice what's best for them and their family. the people who claim to better be unemployed than work for an AMC are just as ridiculous as those that say they'll move to Canada if Trump gets elected.

It doesn't sound bad, but I still would have a hard time working for an AMC started by a CRNA. It's one thing if you are working for one of the big corporate AMC's but NOrthstar->CRNA! What about your noncompete? Does it include their other practices in the state too or only your hospital? Also are you in Texas?

It doesn't sound bad, but I still would have a hard time working for an AMC started by a CRNA. It's one thing if you are working for one of the big corporate AMC's but NOrthstar->CRNA! What about your noncompete? Does it include their other practices in the state too or only your hospital? Also are you in Texas?

No noncompete. I can do whatever I want and moonlight where ever I want. We have on guy who moonlights at a hospital 6miles away from us. Also if I want to moonlight at another NorthStar facility during my vacation time they pay $10k per week, not working the weekend and no call. I'm in the Midwest. Yes the company was co started by a CRNA but that has nothing to do with the way things, are run at least not here. Also looking at gaswork they are hiring for MD only groups in Texas. At our facility NorthStar tried to let CRNAs have more independence but after 2 weeks there were a few near misses where an MD had step in and save the CRNA's butt and now CRNA's have a tighter leash than ever. NorthStar's number one concern is safety well after making money that is.

Some of might think I sold my soul to the devil, but I didn't want to get screwed over by a private practice group and these guys offered more money and more vacation than other AMC's in my area. If this gig dries up in a year or two I'll go somewhere else, I'm always looking for new better jobs, but NorthStar will be stupid to screw with my contact because they're having a super hard time hiring Anesthesiologists here because the surgeons are slow, have poor outcomes and are arsholes and very unreasonable.

Last edited:
No noncompete. I can do whatever I want and moonlight where ever I want. We have on guy who moonlights at a hospital 6miles away from us. Also if I want to moonlight at another NorthStar facility during my vacation time they pay $10k per week, not working the weekend and no call. I'm in the Midwest. Yes the company was co started by a CRNA but that has nothing to do with the way things, are run at least not here. Also looking at gaswork they are hiring for MD only groups in Texas. At our facility NorthStar tried to let CRNAs have more independence but after 2 weeks there were a few near misses where an MD had step in and save the CRNA's butt and now CRNA's have a tighter leash than ever. NorthStar's number one concern is safety well after making money that is.

Some of might think I sold my soul to the devil, but I didn't want to get screwed over by a private practice group and these guys offered more money and more vacation than other AMC's in my area. If this gig dries up in a year or two I'll go somewhere else, I'm always looking for new better jobs, but NorthStar will be stupid to screw with my contact because they're having a super hard time hiring Anesthesiologists here because the surgeons are slow, have poor outcomes and are arsholes and very unreasonable.

Good advice for new graduates: Find a high paying AMC job ($375K plus) and get Board Certified. Some AMCs even offer metric bonuses on top of the pay. As long as you realize that this job may not be your last one there is nothing wrong with taking that AMC position. I would like to add that AMCs will negotiate with you in terms of salary, coverage of CRNAs, etc to a certain degree.

I do not like the 401K plans the AMCS offer as they should be giving you the maximum amount allowed by law (employer portion) in order to reduce your tax burden and grow your nest egg.

i think north star experiences vary depending on location. i have a few friends that work for them. one is a chart signer and pretty much considered/treated like dead weight -- he answers to the crnas basically - that said, he is a ****ty anesthesiologist -- (he didn't train at CCF). another works for north star and is happy - the crnas have a lot of autonomy and he just has the personality that just doesn't care. I'm going to work for usap/pinnacle - yes i sold out and am joining an amc. it was the best job - money schedule case load etc. two of the pp groups i interviewed with here in dallas were absolute criminals. one didn't "like contracts" and the owner kept asking me to do things socially and bought me a very expensive gift (shady af!) and the other sent me a contract that two lawyers said i was a fool if i signed (bad non competes, much worse than usap) but very shady tax stuff (game playing with w2/1099 and making me liable for interest and penalties if they get audited) -- and those aren't even the dirtiest groups in dallas, those two were groups that had relatively good reputations. its a mad world here - the two offers i had from usap pinnacle were nice normal jobs.

Market economy: The places with the fewest applicants will have the best offers, and possibly the best experience. If one is easily replaceable, one is just a cog.

that said, he is a ****ty anesthesiologist -- (he didn't train at CCF).

:laugh:

Second to none, right? (I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that **** is funny)

Btw, welcome to DFW. It seems every PP group has or will merge with USAP. Probably not a bad thing depending on what division you are in

You actually saw a contract with a worse noncompete than USAP???? You do know that it is five miles from any hospital which USAP provides services, not just the ones you have privileges at, right?

Last edited:
I said the Ccf part bc there's lots of Ccf people on here that post and lurk and know who I am in real life and I didn't want them to think I was speaking about them

Market economy: The places with the fewest applicants will have the best offers, and possibly the best experience. If one is easily replaceable, one is just a cog.

Some places have few applicants because they are crappy jobs. They are in BFE with crappy surgeons and staff and average pay.

Has anybody heard anything more on the facility? Word on the street was that their model would have MD's functioning as OR fireman, often with unsafe staffing ratios that would exceed 4:1. That kind of model sounds like it could be Pandora's box for the specialty (not to mention that they would reap insane profits on the poor doc's license). Their ad says medical direction. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard anything more on the facility in Louisville? Word on the street was that their model would have MD's functioning as OR fireman, often with unsafe staffing ratios that would exceed 4:1. That kind of model sounds like it could be Pandora's box for the specialty (not to mention that they would reap insane profits on the poor doc's license). Their ad says medical direction. Something doesn't add up.

Yeeehaww! Burn baby burn!

Has anybody heard anything more on the facility in Louisville? Word on the street was that their model would have MD's functioning as OR fireman, often with unsafe staffing ratios that would exceed 4:1. That kind of model sounds like it could be Pandora's box for the specialty (not to mention that they would reap insane profits on the poor doc's license). Their ad says medical direction. Something doesn't add up.

4:1 is unsafe.

It's Northstar. Run away as fast as you can.

4:1 is unsafe.

It's Northstar. Run away as fast as you can.

4:1 is not uncommon. It is not unsafe if room assignments are balanced with turnover and intensity taken into account.

Loved seeing the ASA crowing recently about how Northstar is a major donor to the upcoming national meeting.

I suspect, but don't know that they simply pay for floor space at the exhibition hall.
If so they are paying for access to the rank and file membership.

I suspect, but don't know that they simply pay for floor space at the exhibition hall.
If so they are paying for access to the rank and file membership.
If they're on the floor, please go by and give them crap about not hiring AA's.