Northwestern Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very intrigued by the residency program at Northwestern. The facilities look great and I have heard nothing but good things about the Program Director. Unfortunately, I have heard different things about how happy the residents are there and how supportive the program is. I have also heard that they work overly hard. Does anyone have any information that may give some insight to this? (Call schedule, current support, resident cohesiveness, etc.) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to hear more about this program...

I am very intrigued by the residency program at Northwestern. The facilities look great and I have heard nothing but good things about the Program Director. Unfortunately, I have heard different things about how happy the residents are there and how supportive the program is. I have also heard that they work overly hard. Does anyone have any information that may give some insight to this? (Call schedule, current support, resident cohesiveness, etc.) Thank you.

All I know is that it must be on the competitive side - I know several very strong applicants (top half of USMD schools) who didn't match there - they sure liked it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Attended medical school there and think it is definitely one of the strongest programs in Chicago. Regarding how happy the psychiatry residents are, in my experience, they were some of the happiest residents I have met--like ever. Wednesdays are fully protected for didactics which provides respite from the wards as well as a great bonding experience with your classmates. They all seem to love and respect the program director.

It's definitely a program that is heading in the right direction. They have a new chairman who is interested in basic science and research (goal is to be the first #1 ranked psych program in Chicago). The facilities are really nice (and actually will get nicer once the psych hospital moves to its new location in the main hospital and once the new peds hospital opens).
I would say that the weakness is probably in patient population. They get VA experience as well as ER experience with whomever should walk through the doors of Northwestern's hospital (between Michigan ave and the lake)--thus, they may be lacking a county-type population. The only reason students from Northwestern tend not to stay there is because they have geographical preferences that outrank Chicago.

Thanks everyone who posted so far. :)

It seems as though historically, the Chicago programs were not known to be fantastic places for training in Psychiatry. I get the impression that this is changing, particularly for Northwestern. Can anyone comment on this? Is there a disadvantage to going to an otherwise fantastic program that doesn't have this history of being well regarded?

Last edited:
Anyone else have any thoughts about Northwestern?