***Northwestern University Feinberg SOM Class of 2012***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too am interested in a 2-bedroom and could use a roommate. PM me if you're in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

On the subject of housing, what do you think the Apartment Open House during 2nd Look weekend will be like? Just having reps available, or an actual chance to tour places during the planned activities for Thurs/Fri or maybe even over the weekend? Cuz if it's the latter, then I might seriously give thought to changing the travel plans to stay later...

hey guys, im a first year student here at northwestern. the apartment open house in last year's 2nd look included a tour of four different apartments in the surrounding area. I assume it will be the same this year.

I think there was a question about MD/MPH and MD/MA program. I am doing MD/MPH. the program is not difficult to get in. I applied late and still got a position. though i believe i got lucky, i know a few kids in my class got rejected because of the deadline. it all depend on who you talk to in the mph department. if you are interested in spending the summer of your first year abroad, it's the best for you to take summer classes this year. you'll be taking two classes, stats and environmental health. both are pretty easy, but they are required for international mph field experience projects in the first year.

speaking of subsidized housing, there are student dorms on campus. you should look into worcester or abbott hall merrily smith is the person to call.

i hope this helps.

Yoby, did you apply when you were an M1 or prior to matriculating? Do you know anything about the MA in bioethics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yoby, did you apply when you were an M1 or prior to matriculating? Do you know anything about the MA in bioethics?

i applied for the mph program a week after the deadline which i believe was in mid august last year. it's around aug 1 this year.

here's the link http://www.publichealth.northwestern.edu/admissions_mdmph.htm

i don't know much about MA in bioethics besides that i have some good friends in the class are doing it. they seem to handle the course load pretty well, prolly about the same amount of time i put in for my mph degree.

here's the MD/MA webpage
http://bioethics.northwestern.edu/masters/feinbergma.html

someone in an earlier post asked about getting job in the first year. from my experience, i would advise against it at least for the first couple units. get used to the rhythm of the curriculum first. looking back, the first unit's by far the easiest but also my personal worst performance simply because i had no idea how much i need to study/how to study/what to study. you really build a different work ethics/style in med school.

Did you have a ton of public health experience coming in? It sounds like a sweet program.

Also, do you know anything about the competitiveness of getting into the Bioethics MA program?

Did you have a ton of public health experience coming in? It sounds like a sweet program.

Also, do you know anything about the competitiveness of getting into the Bioethics MA program?

no, i knew very little about public health. honestly, i jsut thought it'd be cool to have another degree without too much effort when i first signed up. i learned to like the program a lot. to my opinion, a lot of the classes are just a waste of time (hoops to jump through to get another degree), but there are a few classes i've taken so far, even just in the first year, are simply phenomenal.

for the md/ma program, anyone interested in it will get in (after all, you did get yourself in to a medical school, a damn good one). some of my buddies applied for the ma program cause they were late for the mph program. it seems they enjoy it a lot (probably without the hassle of the disorganization of the mph department). so to answer your question, no, it's not competitive to get in the program.

On the subject of housing, what do you think the Apartment Open House during 2nd Look weekend will be like? Just having reps available, or an actual chance to tour places during the planned activities for Thurs/Fri or maybe even over the weekend? Cuz if it's the latter, then I might seriously give thought to changing the travel plans to stay later...

I'm also going to chime in and see if anyone else is looking for roommates. I'm a girl, so preferably another female classmate.

when is this apartment open house? i didn't see that in the schedule anywhere but that's definitely something i'd be interested in doing

I'm excited to meet everyone at second look next weekend! Does anyone have a schedule for the weekend? I used to have one on my status page but it is MIA as of recently...

The open house schedule was posted in the Yahoo group Linda Daniels made recently, and it lists a whole bunch of different apartment buildings and the touring hours. It looks to be mainly Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, although the McClurg Court Center also is open late Thurs afternoon.

just wondering if anyone has an idea of how formal a guy usually dress for second look weekend

Current med students: Is the full 68,000 really needed (the full CoA). I don't know why it is so much higher than other schools, but I am starting to shy away from Feinberg due to the increased amount of loans I will have to take out relative to MSSM or Pitt. If I could realistically borrow less, I think I would be more comfortable with seriously considering Feinberg. Thanks!

just wondering if anyone has an idea of how formal a guy usually dress for second look weekend
I think business casual for most the weekend would be fine, but I'm wondering how formal we need to dress for the dinner on Thursday, the welcome dinner. can any current students help us out?

Members don't see this ad :)
business casual? lol I was hoping to be a little more casual than that. :)

Hi all,

I got an email from the girl who is hosting me for second look and asked her what the dress code is for the weekend. She said, casual--jeans are pretty much fine for the entire time, but you might want a little bit nicer outfit to go out to the bars on Friday night. SOOOO, think that jeans will do it! That's what I'm planning on!

Only 2 more days till 2nd Look!!

lol it should be good times...I can't wait to get back to Chicago and explore this time.

My flight comes in at around 1pm tomorrow. Is there a place where we can just chill until the registration at 5PM? My host won't be able to meet me right away.

Hey BigRed

Yeah, my host's busy too with PBL in the afternoon and whatnot, but she suggested the cafe place in Lurie as a waiting area since I'll be arriving even earlier in the day.

Aren't you sad about missing the LAST Slope Day? I am....

No, I graduated May 2007. I got my four Slope Days in :D

Slope day vs. revisit.. hmmm quite a quandary

P.S. Does anyone know when the first official day is? (aka orientation)

goldtop, i think its aug 28th. not positive tho...

I'm coming in Super early, like 8am early. I think the cafe is a good idea, but please do post on where people will be hanging out. I think one of the open houses will be tomorrow, so I'll prob head on over there later as well. let me know if anyone else is planning on doing the same thing!

lol Becca Cantone just sent an email to everyone registered for Second Look. yay BCC! :)

Good to know there's at least one bar or club night for the weekend. The best way to get to know your peers is after a couple of drinks! :p

Hope I see some of you guys this weekend!

I'm curious about the COA projected in the financial aid package. IIRC, it was around 69K. I know downtown Chicago is expensive, but even accounting for housing, that number seems a little too high. I'm planning on living in one of the (relatively) cheap highrises with a roommate and no car.

Have any current students found the initial COA to be projected a little too high?

Thanks

Hi c/o 2012,

Just wanted to offer a deal. If you guys are interested in splitting the $1000 referral bonus, be sure to mention my name on first contact with Onterie. PM me for details.

How did everyone like the school? Change anyone's mind to come or not to come?

Im coming for sure! Does anyone know what the protocol is for turning down other acceptances? (hand-written letter/email/phone call?)

Each school usually has their own procedure. Just go with whatever they have specified.

I was wondering if any current students could chime in about the places that are listed on the recommended living arrangements pdf. Do students tend to flock to any particular one of these high-rises? Onterie center and DeWiit seem pretty sweet and close to campus. I'd appreciate any comments.

I was wondering if any current students could chime in about the places that are listed on the recommended living arrangements pdf. Do students tend to flock to any particular one of these high-rises? Onterie center and DeWiit seem pretty sweet and close to campus. I'd appreciate any comments.

I live in Onterie (441 E Erie St) and I like my place a lot. I have a studio and my view is incredible. Rent is 1290/month.

McClurg seems to be the most common place to live, but Onterie is popular too.

If you decide on Onterie be sure to mention me so we can split the $1000.

I'm glad I finally found this thread. I'm looking for a roommate as well. Does anyone know when the 2012 listserv will be up? the one on the website says 2011 still.

I also have a totally random question. Does gasoline freeze in vehicles during the winter? I was planning on riding a motorcycle in Chicago. Or is that not at all possible during the winter?

lol orangejuice, gasoline freezes at like -97 degrees, so I think you'll be okay.

I'm sure this is the case at almost all the places around campus, but when I was waiting to tour McClurg, a resident was in the leasing office complaining of a lack of hot water and roaches in her apartment.

420 Ohio looks really nice when I visited. The 3 bedroom / 3 bath looks awesome...I'm trying to find 2 people to split one. Anyone interested?

The 3BR/BA at 420 E. Ohio did look pretty nice. I'd be interested (although I'm a guy) but won't be able to do anything until I get my UCLA post-interview decision (probably anytime within the next 3 weeks).

i think the campus was amazing. the only think i could of is the price of the stuff around the area, such as groceries and meals. Anybody know if the prices are way more expensive around the campus area for restaurants and grocery stores? would we need to commute to go shopping?

i think the campus was amazing. the only think i could of is the price of the stuff around the area, such as groceries and meals. Anybody know if the prices are way more expensive around the campus area for restaurants and grocery stores? would we need to commute to go shopping?

yeah, i agree with you that the price is higher around here, but i suppose it's expected of living in the best part of one of the biggest city in the country.

There are multiple grocery stores within walking distance. There is a Jewel/osco on Rush/Division (north of the campus). south of the campus, there is a dominicks on Grand/Columbus, a Jewel-Osco on Ohio/State, Treasure island is the closest to campus which is on Huron/McClurg.

no, you don't have to commute to get groceries which would be ridiculous in the week before the test. I usually just pick up groceries from Dominick's on the way back from the gym (Holmes Place is on Grand/McClurg).

there are plenty of restaurants around campus and in the city. We are in middle of Chicago! ;)

Yoby

So I was warned by more than one student during second look not to take the el at night. Is it really that dangerous? I'm used to riding the subway in Boston at any time ("anytime," ours closes at 12:30)...

btw, is anyone planning to live at Worcester House? I didn't get a chance to look at any rooms while I was there...are they comparable to the places they had in the apt open house?

So I was warned by more than one student during second look not to take the el at night. Is it really that dangerous? I'm used to riding the subway in Boston at any time ("anytime," ours closes at 12:30)...

That might have been good advice 15 years ago, but today it seems a little excessive. I've lived in Boston and NYC and have taken the MBTA/MTA at all hours, and the El at night doesn't strike me as much different. Yes, at 3 AM some of the platforms can feel deserted, but with some basic street smarts and common sense you should be fine. BTW, a lot of buses in Chicago run late or even 24 hours, and are safe (IMO) to take as well.

(Like in any big city, there are some places where I would be careful at night, but they're generally places where students are very unlikely to go. Those would be the Red Line south of Chinatown (except for Sox games), the Green Line south of Roosevelt, and certain parts of the southern Blue and Pink lines. To go to Hyde Park, BTW, the best way at any time of day is the South Shore commuter train or the #6 bus.)

whoknowswhere: most students live in Streeterville, by the school. It's a neighborhood of very tall high-rises and skyscrapers, tucked between Michigan Avenue, the Chicago River (to the south), and the lake. Most of the housing stock is modern luxury apartments, and it's not uncommon to live on the 40th floor with great city and lake views. A lot of students love it, while others prefer one of Chicago's numerous other neighborhoods. I'd strongly suggest starting in Streeterville for at least your first year, though, just because living next to school is so convenient. As sleepy007 mentioned, the list of local rental apartment buildings from Linda Daniels is a good start. The very cheapest nearby housing option is probably the university-affiliated Worcester House, which is basic but passable. As Norua said, market rents in Streeterville have gone up quite a bit in the last couple years, with most studios now starting at $1000/month or more. But it's also a fun and very convenient place to live.

Is Worcester House a good place to live? Do a lot of med students live there?
Is Chicago really cold in winter? How much will the electric/heating cost in winter? The rents of some apartments do include electricity.

That might have been good advice 15 years ago, but today it seems a little excessive. I've lived in Boston and NYC and have taken the MBTA/MTA at all hours, and the El at night doesn't strike me as much different. Yes, at 3 AM some of the platforms can feel deserted, but with some basic street smarts and common sense you should be fine. BTW, a lot of buses in Chicago run late or even 24 hours, and are safe (IMO) to take as well.

(Like in any big city, there are some places where I would be careful at night, but they're generally places where students are very unlikely to go. Those would be the Red Line south of Chinatown (except for Sox games), the Green Line south of Roosevelt, and certain parts of the southern Blue and Pink lines. To go to Hyde Park, BTW, the best way at any time of day is the South Shore commuter train or the #6 bus.)

I agree with fineberger.
I lived in the southside chicago (south of roosevelt on greenline and south of chinatown on redline) for a few years without a car. buses and El are only transportation i had and they are fine. As an undergrad, I used to take El late at night/early in the morning all the time. I don't think i ever felt unsafe. maybe i was de-sensitized from how often i rode it, but like what fineberger said, nothing you can't deal with with a little street smarts.

I don't know if it was posted earlier, but first day of orientation is August 25th. Another point for Northwestern.

So...have people figured out where they're living in the fall or am I the only one with no clue?

On a related note, when I was touring 420 Ohio during second look we saw the site of the Chicago Spire. Anyone want to split an apartment in there when it's completed? =P

hey everyone i'm having trouble finding a place especially since i'm out of the country. I was wondering if anyone needs a roommate. I'd like to be close to campus pref. in one of the high rises nearby like mcclurg. shoot me a p.m. if you u're looking for that 2nd or 3rd roommate.

I'll be living in Worcester "Wooster" House. It's across the street from school and has very reasonable prices. I recommend it from what I can tell.

I applied to live there. When did you apply and do you know what the availability is like?

I applied to live there. When did you apply and do you know what the availability is like?

I will also be living in Worcester House. I filled out my application at the beginning of April. As far as availability goes, when I went in, it looked like there were a lot of studios still available. I would suggest giving Merrily Smith, the leasing manager, a call and check your status because she can get busy during this time of the year and if you show interest, the probability of you getting a place is probably higher.

I'm hoping to live there myself but I didn't send in my application until a few weeks ago.

I faxed my application in about 2 months ago. From what I understand, they don't look at your application until the month prior to your desired move-in date. I didn't want to risk not having a place in August, so I applied in April for a July move-in. It worked!

I faxed my application in about 2 months ago. From what I understand, they don't look at your application until the month prior to your desired move-in date. I didn't want to risk not having a place in August, so I applied in April for a July move-in. It worked!

Did the exact same thing. Moving in mid-july. When are you moving in Galaxysystem?