***Northwestern University Feinberg SOM Class of 2012***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm moving in end of July :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the earliest we can take advantage of the gym memberships at Holmes Place. Considering I'll be in Chicago in early August with absolutely nothing to do until orientation at the end of the month, I figure I might as well try to get in shape.

Thanks.

Are everybody's parents coming up for the white coat ceremony (Founder's day I think Feinberg calls it) on Aug 29? i was wondering if that is the only activity for parents during orientation.
maybe I'm crazy, but i'm starting to get excited...
see ya'll in august

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm going to be an M1 at UIC School of Medicine in the fall. I'm looking for a roommate(s) to find an apartment with in the Wicker Park/Bucktown area, which is a fairly easy commute to both UIC and Northwestern. If anyone is even somewhat interested, feel free to email me back on here and we can chat and see if we are compatible / looking for the same type of thing.

Last edited:
Congratulations to you all. You are coming to a great program and in for an exciting first year...for the most part! I am a rising M2 and thought I would do you (and me) a favor by offering the sale of some of my books from the M1 year. They are as follows:

1) Boron and Boulapep: Medical Physiology, Updated Edition
2)Histology: A Text and Atlas, 5th Ed.
3) Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems 6th Ed.
4) The Human Brain: An introduction to Its Functional Anatomy, 5th Ed.
5) Netter's Atlas of Human Embryology
6) Grant's Dissector; 13th Ed.

I will sell them all (with some highlighting) for $250, which is much less than I paid struggling to find them at the beginning of each unit. I will be honest, some people do not rely on textbooks, and some do. I am someone who prefers to self-teach and I used each of these books extensively. This is not the case for all, though some used far more books than this. Also worth noting, here are the other books I used but am going to hold on to:

1)Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy (photographic)
2) Either a Grant's or Netter's Atlas (illustrative), you get a Netter's if you join AMSA
3) Moore and Agur's Essential Clinical Anatomy
4) Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking
5) Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry (depending on your level of confidence with cell and molecular biology)

If you want to buy my books, shoot me a PM and we can plan to meet up when you come to Chicago. Best of luck to you all and enjoy your summer!

-NFKB

Thanks for the interest everyone...books are sold. Best of luck and I look forward to meeting many of you in August. Cheers!

NFKB

Hi everyone,
Is anyone still looking for a place to live? I have a studio in a condo that I'd like to rent out, furnished, for a year if anyone's interested. Monthly rent is $1350 and that includes cable and internet and in unit washer and dryer and heat and a/c. The only other thing you'd have to pay is electricity, which runs about $20 a month. The building is about 10 minute walk to FSOM. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send photos.
Thanks!

Does anyone live in or have seen apartments in the Lake Shore Plaza apartment building? Is it nice inside? Any info would be great!

I checked out Lake Shore Plaza when I was apartment hunting- the leasing agent was kind of rude, partly because he had no studios or convertibles available for august and a really high retention rate: he didnt need to sell me anything.
later i checked on yelp and was really glad I couldnt get anything there, check out these gruesome reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lake-shore-plaza-chicago

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/illinois/chicago/lake-shore-plaza-r45434.htm

also, the site is down right now, so i couldnt find a link, but try www.apartmentratings.com for more info.

Does anyone know the earliest we can take advantage of the gym memberships at Holmes Place. Considering I'll be in Chicago in early August with absolutely nothing to do until orientation at the end of the month, I figure I might as well try to get in shape.

Thanks.

The details maybe a little off, but the answer to your question is you can't get Holmes Place membership 'til the month after you are enrolled in northwestern. in other words, you can't get it 'til the beginning of september if you apply as soon as you start your orientation.

Congratulations to you all. You are coming to a great program and in for an exciting first year...for the most part! I am a rising M2 and thought I would do you (and me) a favor by offering the sale of some of my books from the M1 year. They are as follows:

1) Boron and Boulapep: Medical Physiology, Updated Edition
2)Histology: A Text and Atlas, 5th Ed.
3) Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems 6th Ed.
4) The Human Brain: An introduction to Its Functional Anatomy, 5th Ed.
5) Netter's Atlas of Human Embryology
6) Grant's Dissector; 13th Ed.

I will sell them all (with some highlighting) for $250, which is much less than I paid struggling to find them at the beginning of each unit. I will be honest, some people do not rely on textbooks, and some do. I am someone who prefers to self-teach and I used each of these books extensively. This is not the case for all, though some used far more books than this. Also worth noting, here are the other books I used but am going to hold on to:

1)Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy (photographic)
2) Either a Grant's or Netter's Atlas (illustrative), you get a Netter's if you join AMSA
3) Moore and Agur's Essential Clinical Anatomy
4) Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking
5) Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry (depending on your level of confidence with cell and molecular biology)

If you want to buy my books, shoot me a PM and we can plan to meet up when you come to Chicago. Best of luck to you all and enjoy your summer!

-NFKB

Hey class of 2012 -Congrats to you all for making it in! You'll love it here. If any of you have any specific questions about Feinberg or Chicago feel free to drop me a line. I'm a rising M2, too, and I've got to clear up some space on my bookshelf for all the new books that I'll be needing next month. So if you're looking to get all your M1 books in one place, here's what I'll part with for $250:

1) *Boron & Boulpaep's Medical Physiology
2) *Histology: A Text and Atlas, 4th Ed.
3) *Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems 5th Ed.
4) *Netter's Atlas of Human Embryology
5) *Moore & Persaud's Before We Are Born, 5th Ed.
6) *Grant's Dissector, 13th Ed.
7) *BRS Physiology
8) *Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd Ed.
9) Berne & Levy's Physiology, 4th Ed.
10) Lehniger's Principles of Biochemistry
11) iGenetics by Russell

*Most Feinberg M1s found these books to be essential during the first year.

The books are all in great shape, with minimal highlighting in a few of them. If you want to buy everything, PM me and I'll hold on to them for you until you're in Chicago.

Hi All, I'm an M1 and I'll be living in downtown with an M2 about 10 minutes walking from the school. If you still haven't found a place yet the rent is 735 a month plus utilities, if you're interested PM me to let me know. We're both dudes if you have a problem or preference for that.

Hey guys,
I'm an M4 from New york and I'll be doing an away rotation at Northwestern in Sept-Oct. If you guys are looking for a temporary roommate during that time, or while you're looking for a more permanent roommate, let me know (PM me) since I'm looking for housing.

Also, if there is some kind soul out there who could provide me with the class email address (northwestern2012@... ) so that I could make a general plea that would be great

Anyone going with the group to see Second City?

will be coming to chicago for obersveship/rotation in 2 weeks. will be there from june 22 - june 15. need a place to reside?!