Northwestern vs. UConn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flidais

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Northwestern but my husband got a job in Connecticut. I won't hear from UConn until mid December about my application there (though I think it's fairly safe to assume that I will get accepted to UConn if I got accepted to Northwestern).

Is anyone currently enrolled in the DPT program at either school? Northwestern ranks significantly higher than UConn, but is the education really that much better there? So good that it would be worth living in a different state than my husband for three years?

I need advice from people in these programs! How do you like them? How would you rate the education you are receiving? How are the instructors? The classrooms? The labs? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So you got a call today from Northwestern that you were accepted?

When did you apply to Northwestern?

I am not in either program but in my opinion they are both great schools with great names to back them up. But here is my 2 cents…

I am in a similar situation. I just got accepted to Washington University in st Louis which is one of the top 3 PT program in the U.S. I am still waiting to hear from a few a smaller lesser known school near my fiancé… but assuming I get into those since I got into wash U I think I may have to choose the school near my fiancé. Although I would love to go to wash U it has such a great reputation I honestly do not see anything extraordinary that the school has compared to any other accredited decently ranked program. With that being said I think in the end I will have to pass up going to wash U to live near my fiancé, family and friends. I know that any all of the schools I am considering have great reputations and even if they are not number 1 I will still being doing what I love. Every school I have seen 100% of graduates have jobs (most often 1st choice jobs) at graduation if they want them. PT school is going to be hard enough being away from family and friends who can support you will only make it harder. Hope that helps good luck picking:)

Good point. That has, of course, been the main driving point to pass up Northwestern and choose UConn (if they choose me, too, of course...). Thank you for your empathy! :)

Stephilosophy: I received the phone call from Northwestern on Thursday, Nov. 11th (They apparently work on Veteran's Day). I submitted my application to PTCAS on September 21st and it was mailed out on October 13th.