Northwestern vs. University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeaAndCrumpets

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some help in deciding which to eventually rank higher. Both programs have great training, and residents seemed happy on both interview days. I have personal ties to both Ann Arbor and Chicago, and don't necessarily prefer one city over the other. Any insight you all have into differences between the two programs would be helpful. Long-term, I'm interested in child/adolescent and teaching/academics, if that influences things. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I like your username so I'll chime in with my personal opinion. Both are excellent programs, and you would not go wrong with either. That said, I'd rather spend my next four years in Chicago than Ann Arbor (because I like 'em big... cities).

Feel free to pm me with questions about Michigan's program. In short, I love it. The people are what put it at the top of my list. It's a great place to do child and a great place to start an academic career. Ann Arbor is not Chicago, but for me that was actually a plus. Salary/cost of living in Michigan's residency programs is hard to beat, and Ann Arbor is a fun university town with plenty to do. Northwestern is great too, you can't make a bad choice between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, you can't go wrong. Both are led by excellent, long-term program directors.
Really comes down to smallish city vs. big city life. And perhaps your Big Ten loyalties, if any.

I'd really think about where you want to be during but also after residency and use that as a major contribution to rank. As an M4 I thought it would be preposterous to rank on anything other than the program itself, but in the end there is so much similarity between programs, particularly good programs like NW and Michigan. There are also probably lots of small differences but it's rather unlikely any end up as much a difference as city size of 100,000 vs 7 million.

As an aside, I personally know several NW residents and they are quite happy. Their child program is also great in a very top tier children's hospital and with a chair who is quite a big deal and very involved in teaching/education.

Jim Harbaugh is likely going to end up in either Chicago or Ann Arbor...

Jim Harbaugh is likely going to end up in either Chicago or Ann Arbor...

Hope he lands at UofM. I think he's a fine coach, the problems were related to the players. 9ers sucked because of the choices, lack of cohesion and injuries. And I'm speaking as a long time 9ers fan.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope he lands at UofM. I think he's a fine coach, the problems were related to the players. 9ers sucked because of the choices, lack of cohesion and injuries. And I'm speaking as a long time 9ers fan.

Now I don't have any inside information, but the Niners parting ways with JH demonstrates pure negligence. Three straight NFC championship games?! Who cares if he pisses off people; he wins! You don't have to like anyone in the NFL, you just have to win.

That said, as a Michigan alumnus and someone who bleeds Maize and Blue, Harbaugh belongs back in Ann Arbor. Taking the Bears/Jets/Raiders to the playoffs would not make him a legend. Restoring Michigan to the summit of college football, bringing respect back to the B1G, and going up against (and beating) urban meyer and osu would immortalize him. Harbaugh could be the fourth face on the Mount Rushmore of Michigan Coaches, being a worthy heir to the position of Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler, and Bo Schembechler.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone knows that the best candidate for Michigan is available... and he wears a sweater vest.

(actually I think JH and Michigan's fan base both deserve each other, and I don't mean that in a positive way for either of them).

/both psych programs are solid though.

Reactions: 1 user
And Harbaugh is headed to Ann Arbor! If you want to watch (after your intern year, of course) the most storied program revitalized under the guidance of potentially one of the all time greatest coaches, rank Michigan number 1. Harbaugh against Urban is going to be unreal. GO BLUE!!!!!

And Harbaugh is headed to Ann Arbor! If you want to watch (after your intern year, of course) the most storied program revitalized under the guidance of potentially one of the all time greatest coaches, rank Michigan number 1. Harbaugh against Urban is going to be unreal. GO BLUE!!!!!
Good thing Harbaugh is already used to coming in 2nd...

(Not that I'm a fan of THE Overrated State University, either...but I'm predicting your man melts down spectacularly, taking half of the the athletic department out with him in a flaming ego implosion.)