Norwegian medstudent, future career in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simon24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, (I don't know if this topic has already been covered somewhere in this forum, if so forgive me.)
I'm a Norwegian medical student (19), studying at the university of Oslo (1. year) (Got in with good grades, equivalent to a GPA of 3,89/3,9). Lately I was thinking about my chances to have a future career in the US maybe into thorax surgery/ research, holding a Norwegian MD degree.
I know that it may be too early to even think about it, but is there anything that I could do from now to make my curriculum as outstanding as possible? I do also know that there is a very strong competition for surgical residencies between american MDs, so my chances for that will be very limited, so an exchange program, an observership year, or a reasearch year in a good american medical school would also be fine to start with. Do I, as an european medstudent have any advantages? I have a lot of potentials but i don't know from where to start...

Thanks,

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Do electives in the US. Study for the USMLE Step 1 early and eventually u'll need to do the Step 2 and 2CS. You should have plenty of time. Do some research as well if you can.