Not a single interview..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soph394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-Dents,

I applied this cycle with a 21DAT and a 3.49sGPA, 3.45oGPA -- After this fall semester I graduated and my GPA rose to a 3.55 sGPA and a 3.51 oGPA.

I applied to all the Texas schools as a resident, LECOM, NOVA, Western etc.. I was rejected within a week from NOVA (One professor took forever to send in his LOR), and rejected from LECOM a few months later.

I have not heard a single thing from the Texas schools, but from what I have been told from several dentists is that if I don't hear anything at the end of January - I'm going to have to reapply.

I have over 80 hours shadowing, lots of community service etc..

The only issue I can think of is that I applied in September, and I know that I will for sure get everything in DAY ONE this next time. But what could have gone wrong? Was applying in September really the killer for me? I thought I would at least snag one interview - and no I do not feel obligated to receive an interview, it has just been a rollercoaster of emotions going through this process as I'm sure all of you have gone through.

Thank you, I just want to know what went wrong..

Members don't see this ad.

my stats are less than yours AND I got a 13 on PAT and got 3 interviews

19AA, TS, 3.5/3.5

I really think perhaps your LORS killed it for you cause once the LOR came in all of a sudden you got rejected from a lot of places. But just my opinion since I don't have any acceptances yet still waiting on those interviewers to get back to me

Sounds like you had a pretty competitive application. I personally feel the killer for you was the late application; you really need to apply as early as possible. Maybe adding a couple of private schools to your list would help. For example, with an early app. I had an interview at NYU in the middle of August. You really just need to do everything in your power to increase your chances (i.e. apply early and to many schools).
Otherwise, it seems like a strong app. (assuming good LORs and PS), and I think it is worth another go.
Oh, and do some more shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I'm really sorry to hear that! My best advice would be to call NOVA and LECOM and ask them why you were rejected and what you can to do improve your application for next year and hopefully that will give you a sense of what might have gone wrong. But if you haven't been rejected from the TX schools yet or Western, don't completely give up hope until the rejection letter comes. You've still got a fighting chance! :)

my stats are less than yours AND I got a 13 on PAT and got 3 interviews

19AA, TS, 3.5/3.5

I really think perhaps your LORS killed it for you cause once the LOR came in all of a sudden you got rejected from a lot of places. But just my opinion since I don't have any acceptances yet still waiting on those interviewers to get back to me

Thank you all for the replies

As for the LOR's I sure hope they weren't the cause of my rejection? I got two ochem/biology professors that I received an A in their class to write me a letter, and I know the dentist wrote a good one. I don't know what to do if the LOR's are bad, as I am now graduated - and those were my two best professors.

I agree-I think it's the late app and the late LOR. I would also call the schools that rejected you, and send an email update to the schools that you haven't heard from with your updated grades, ECs, etc. and reiterate your interest in their school.

Doesn't TMDSAS open up even earlier than AADSAS? If that is the case, you were very considerably late.

Maybe those schools were looking for some sort of a minimum for shadowing hours, such as 100.

If you end up having to reapply, I would absolutely call the schools and try to talk to someone about what is lacking in your application and how you can improve for the next cycle. I agree that your application seems strong, but there must be at least some small reason since you aren't having good luck across the board.

Agreed, your application is competitive and getting stuff in late may have been detrimental. Definitely apply earlier and I would be surprised if you don't hear anything positive next cycle (if it comes to that).

Thank you all for the replies

As for the LOR's I sure hope they weren't the cause of my rejection? I got two ochem/biology professors that I received an A in their class to write me a letter, and I know the dentist wrote a good one. I don't know what to do if the LOR's are bad, as I am now graduated - and those were my two best professors.

I ended up receiving 6 interviews w/ similar stats and similar situation (very late LOR) I would lend some credence to the LORs ruining your app.

I was told my app was late for a school when they received it Aug 13 and the deadline was oct 1. I know these people are smart but I dont think they know how to use deadlines correctly.

Hmmm strange! I have similar stats with a similar DAT. I racked up some volunteers time doing dental charity, hospice, child advocate, and tutoring. I also had some research hour in school. My LORs are really strong from the professors I took several classes with and do research with. You should at least earn some interviews with that stats. Last year, I applied around late Sep to 10 schools and not a single beep from them. Then all rejections came in later.
This year I applied really early like when the portal first open. I believe it was June 3rd. Got all my applications, and sub applications done by August. I have 1 pre-dec interview, and 2 more post dec. I also got rejected from several schools including UCSF and Buffalo. But I gained an acceptance from my pre-dec interview, so I am giving my spots for post dec interview (one of them is Midwest, so it should open up some spots).
My point is: you have a strong application, do not give up just yet. You may gain some interviews later on. Remember the game is not over until April. I heard ppl still interview folks around that time. If thing does not work out this time, it is your LORs and your timing. Send applications in the first day next cycle, and you should be okay. Good luck man!

Thank you, I just want to know what went wrong..
hu1c.jpg

Posting on the wrong account mi amigo lol

What degree did you graduate with?

Posting on the wrong account mi amigo lol

Didn't even realize, I was on the fiances computer - lol - she made an account the other day

@Minion, I graduated with a degree in Psychology and a Minor in Biology.

I am definitely going to put in more shadowing. But as for the LOR's... Should I get new ones from other professors if I have to reapply? All of my 'good' professors I had a few years ago, and now that I am graduated it will be difficult to get in touch - though I really thought the two professors who did my LOR's were great.

Didn't even realize, I was on the fiances computer - lol - she made an account the other day

@Minion, I graduated with a degree in Psychology and a Minor in Biology.

I am definitely going to put in more shadowing. But as for the LOR's... Should I get new ones from other professors if I have to reapply? All of my 'good' professors I had a few years ago, and now that I am graduated it will be difficult to get in touch - though I really thought the two professors who did my LOR's were great.

definitely get different letters

people can recommend you but it can sound generic, if it was just a class where you got an A to me that sounds like a weak letter

my letters are from profs that I only got A-'s from however I did research with, spent outside time with them through /lunches in the lab, and attended every OH in addition to doing voluntary in class presentations on topics/research papers.

I honestly think with the 13 in PAT and only 19AA/TS and avg GPA it was my LOR that saved me and got me the 3 interviews

definitely get different letters

people can recommend you but it can sound generic, if it was just a class where you got an A to me that sounds like a weak letter

my letters are from profs that I only got A-'s from however I did research with, spent outside time with them through /lunches in the lab, and attended every OH in addition to doing voluntary in class presentations on topics/research papers.

I honestly think with the 13 in PAT and only 19AA/TS and avg GPA it was my LOR that saved me and got me the 3 interviews

Both of these professors were ones that I spent time outside of class with through office hours and study sessions - One was from two years ago (whom I got in touch through email), and the other was from a class that I was taking that semester. I know for sure the more recent professor wrote a great LOR, but the one from a few years ago could have been generic. There is honestly nothing more I can do in this department - but I doubt one generic LOR will cause me to not get a single interview.

Both of these professors were ones that I spent time outside of class with through office hours and study sessions - One was from two years ago (whom I got in touch through email), and the other was from a class that I was taking that semester. I know for sure the more recent professor wrote a great LOR, but the one from a few years ago could have been generic. There is honestly nothing more I can do in this department - but I doubt one generic LOR will cause me to not get a single interview.

if you dont make it this cycle, keep in touch with the professors and give them updates (the ones who wrote u LORs) and let them know that you haven't gotten any news/updates and ask for their guidance/help in the case you might need to pursue a postbac or do some kind of extra thing, they can change your LORs to make it specific to whatever you're applying to and in turn it might be a better letter if you just interacted with them even after they already sent the letter in

i have told everyone who has helped me with every step of the way, if they care/like you they will respond and help you out more like mine did for me

Looks like you all were right! There is still a chance this late in the game -

Just received an interview to Houston today! Thank you all for the help and encouragement on these forums - Now on to the next step!

Reactions: 3 users

Just curious, are you the OP (Soph)? Haha I am just trying to follow the convo

you have solid chance of getting in! I think you are a very competitive applicant. This cycle still has long way to go, so don't lose hope yet!

I agree. Don't lose hope on other schools. Interviews are rolling in. My app was late in September because of the dat scores took 3-4 weeks to reach aadsas but I have been getting many post dec interviews.