NOT a "what are my chances" thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mules05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate the "what are my chances" threads as much as anyone, so I'll refrain from asking. Plus, who wants to post all their stats on a public message board? I'm wondering if there's anyone who might be willing to answer this, though, and maybe offer advice on appropriate types of programs to look at given one's stats. If anyone has lots of time on their hands and wants to offer their wisdom, a PM would be appreciated- let me know you're willing to chat about it and I'll fill you in.
Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Every surgical subspecialty has a website with a bunch of similar threads where people will ask "what are my chances" type questions, and if you dig enough you can at least get an idea of what type of applicants try to go into those specialties.

Specifically, there is a "Matched Applicant Statistics 2008" thread on plasticseducation.com where you can see relevant data on Step I/II, AOA, class rank, research, and med school from matched applicants--I think there's one from 2007 as well.

Similar websites (off the top of my head) include OrthoGate, UrologyMatch, and UncleHarvey (I think that's the NS one)--I bet ENT and ophtho have sites too. I'm not sure about general surgery but I can tell you that general surgery candidates run the gamut from average joes to the uber-competitive top-of-the heap types.

Something to remember if you're asking the "what are my chances for Competitive Field X" question is that the Match is a fickle beast. You can't control a program's rank list or even whether they choose to offer you an interview--all you can do is try to make yourself the strongest applicant possible, play the percentages, and try to find a good fit. I have personally seen excellent applicants (with great scores/LOR's/AOA/research) fail to match in plastics after going on 15 interviews, while other seemingly less qualified applicants get spots.

I remember talking to the plastics PD at Wake Forest and she told me (this lady is a badass by the way) a story: she had her heart set on a particular residency program, was told by the residents/PD that they wanted her, ranked it #1, and then matched at a different program (her "backup" program was UMichigan--reflects the type of applicant she was!).

The moral of the story is that you can be the best applicant in the world and still fall through a program's rank list--the converse, which is just as true, is that you might have a weaker app than someone else but really click with a program and match there. So rather than asking "what are my chances", I recommend asking yourself "is this the only thing I can do with the rest of my life?" If the answer is yes, then go for it--balls out, all the way! You'll land on your feet somewhere if you have the passion, determination, and dedication, regardless of your chosen field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses I've gotten so far! To clarify, I'm a third year looking at gen surg residencies. I'm not looking for "what are my chances" at any one program, but any suggestions of where people with my stats may look to apply. I'm trying to meet with someone at my school to ask this same question, but surprisingly enough surgeons seem to be busy people and it's been difficult to set up a meeting time so far, and I haven't found anything online that indicates which academic programs are top tier/middle tier/etc, other than a couple of old threads here listing the "top" programs.

Thanks for the responses I've gotten so far! To clarify, I'm a third year looking at gen surg residencies. I'm not looking for "what are my chances" at any one program, but any suggestions of where people with my stats may look to apply. I'm trying to meet with someone at my school to ask this same question, but surprisingly enough surgeons seem to be busy people and it's been difficult to set up a meeting time so far, and I haven't found anything online that indicates which academic programs are top tier/middle tier/etc, other than a couple of old threads here listing the "top" programs.

You're not going to find a "ranking" a la the US News ranking of med schools, if that's what you're looking for.

This is a helpful site: "So, You Want to be a Surgeon..."

The best option for you is to arrange a sit down with a few staff members. Ideally the Chairman of your schools department of surgery, the program director for your schools surgery residency, and the clerkship director. Bring a copy of your transcripts, CV, and ERAS personal statement. Request a letter of rec, and ask them where they think you would be a good fit. There is something like 214 programs. You need to think about Community vs Acedemic affliate vs University, Urban vs Suburban, East Coast vs West Coast vs South vs MidWest vs ect. All three of these people with have slightly different takes on where the best, good, okay, and programs to avoid. Likely they will favor university affliated places. They will be able to say things like that this program would be a stretch... or whatever. Also when you apply through ERAS you can use the shotgun approach, and let the programs determine if you are upto their standards. If you don't get an interview no big deal you'll get them in other places. A second meeting after interviews is useful with the Chairman or PD if you would like them to make a phone call.

Sent you a PM.

The clerkship director does this for us. He went as far back as high school (seriously-- I had to give him my SATs) straight through third year and gives you his honest assessment of where in the pack you fall. At my school it was particularly awesome because he is no longer involved in the residency selection process, so his stance is accurate and unbiased.

This sort of thing is best done by a person who has seen many, many surgery applicants' applications-- and who knows where they ultimately applied, interviewed and matched. Contacting a random faculty member probably wouldn't be as fruitful.