Not another DO vs. MD thread....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kapnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to sit in at lecture this morning by a doctor giving a lecture to interns ( i think thats what MIIIs doing their rotation are called). Anyways, their were students their from a top 20 med school and from a "lesser" D.O school, the doctor who invited me was throwing around questions: in short the D.Os wooped the top 20 students badly. They had anwsers to every anwser while the top 20s sat with thumbs up their ass. :rolleyes:

SO any thoughts on this observation?

Members don't see this ad.

kapnut said:
I was invited to sit in at lecture this morning by a doctor giving a lecture to interns ( i think thats what MIIIs doing their rotation are called). Anyways, their were students their from a top 20 med school and from a "lesser" D.O school, the doctor who invited me was throwing around questions: in short the D.Os wooped the top 20 students badly. They had anwsers to every anwser while the top 20s sat with thumbs up their ass. :rolleyes:

ya, you must be going to a D.O. school, sounding like you are overly proud of this...

Wow, someone with 10 posts and someone with 0 posts starting an MD versus DO thread.

The DO students probably answered better because they of course are more personable and treat the patient rather then the disease.

The MD students couldnt answer because, since they are so smart, they cannot communicate effectively in social settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
kapnut said:
I was invited to sit in at lecture this morning by a doctor giving a lecture to interns ( i think thats what MIIIs doing their rotation are called).

we're called externs, not interns.

You'll find a lot of variation from students to students and topic to topic. Not going to firmly correlate to the school.

actually, i am not in med school yet. i family friend who is doctor invited me to sit in on the lecture this morning. And honostly with just my basic bio-engineering courses I was able to anwser some of the questions that this students from a top 20 med. school could not.
I am not make an overall judgement/ comparison. I am only make an observation on my experiance this morning.
The only reason i started this thread was b/c i just found it kind of strange the D.Os were more on their game then the md students.
obviously this could be a one time occurence.

btw: the title to the thread was supposed to be a joke

kapnut said:
actually, i am not in med school yet. i family friend who is doctor invited me to sit in on the lecture this morning. And honostly with just my basic bio-engineering courses I was able to anwser some of the questions that this students from a top 20 med. school could not.
I am not make an overall judgement/ comparison. I am only make an observation on my experiance this morning.
The only reason i started this thread was b/c i just found it kind of strange the D.Os were more on their game then the md students.

btw: the title to the thread was supposed to be a joke

Not that it matters to me, but I am curious to know what it is that makes you think that it was strange that the, "D.Os were more on their game then the md students."

Maybe the DOs had an early introduction to clinical skills and because of this they had a leg up on the MDs.

If I were in that situation, I might raise my eyebrow at it, but I certainly wouldnt take home any serious lessons about the value of an MD vs a DO.

kapnut said:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

kapnut said:

OK Troll,

Exhibit A. "their were students their"

Exhibit B. "had anwsers to every answer"

So what you're basically saying is that the DO students there were being gunners trying to overcompensate for their allegedly "lesser" degree while the MD students were chilling back not really caring about showing off.

I fail to see how this makes DOs seem better than MDs, though you are obviously trying to push that angle. So what you've basically shown us is that those DOs are overcompensating gunners and that is a trait you think is of merit. Fair enough. Id much rather chill with the MDs who didnt try and show off and much rather learn from the lecture rather than just trying to steal the glory.

In any case, Im glad to be a future MD (no offense to DOs, well, DOs and pre-DOs who don't post this kind of inflammatory junk)

The most likely answers is that the DO kids were the ones who back in college, answered every question the professor asked (even the rhetorical ones). It's a compensation mechanism for feelings of inferiority. Oh yea, I hate those kids.

kapnut said:

Your language clearly denotes that you are valuing/judging one school of thought over another. Were you to use more objective/less value-heavy language, I might believe you, but that's not what you did.

What a way to begin your SDN career...especially if you haven't even applied yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
stoic said:
very few trolls are first time sdn'ers.
Can we put all the trolls on a farm and let them annoy each other instead of us?

Yes, you've clearly shown that all DO schools are better if not equal to all MD schools. Mission accomplished. Enjoy attending your superior DO school while we attend our lowly MD schools.

Medikit said:
Yes, you've clearly shown that all DO schools are better if not equal to all MD schools. Mission accomplished. Enjoy attending your superior DO school while we attend our lowly MD schools.

:laugh:

or maybe ,
the DOs are smarter than MDs for some reason?
the MDs were too arrogant to answer?
maybe the questions seemed too obvious to the MDs ?
maybe the MDs wanted to get friendly with the DOs?
maybe the MDs were sleeping?
DOs dint give the MDs a chance to answer?

Who cares if one answers better than the other? It doesn't prove anything. Why can't we leave the DO vs. MD? They are both doctors!

The MD folks were prolly too tired to answer questions. I'm a DO student and I'd say I do about 15 minutes of actual work on a given day. Dr. Mom will back me up on this'n.

btw "this'n"= this one in DSM talk.

FIRST off, i will most likely be goiing to an MD program if all goes to plan. I did not mean to be so inflamitory with my post. i just started this thread b/c i went yesterday and I was just really shocked by what I saw.

I did not mean for this to be a pro MD or pro DO thread. I just needed a title, so i thought it would attract some attention.

P.s: i am NOT a TROLL

ok, you made an observation. cool. you can't really take away anything from it.

were you surprised that DO students were actually knowledgeable and knew things? don't be.

did it make you think that MD students are inferior to DO students? don't let it.

a good student is a good student, a good doctor is a good doctor.

DO's are not inferior, so you can't sit there and be surprised when you see them performing as well or better than MD's. when it comes to practice they're the same thing, a physician.

so being surprised by what you saw either makes it seem like you were either harboring false impressions about DO's in general or you're favoring DO's now based on faulty logic.

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

but it does sound like you learned something, so thats good.

Status
Not open for further replies.