not as bad as "chances"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hate to ask this-i'm in the midst of my personal statement and have seen Emergency Medicine (caps) and emergency medicine (no caps). which is it? or is it only caps if used like Emerg Med Physician??
i don't have my St. Martin's handbook with me on my rotation to check so i ask you guys to help me out here.
sorry for the bad post, but not as bad as a "how competitive is my 250?" question
and +pad+
thanks
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

streetdoc said:
i hate to ask this-i'm in the midst of my personal statement and have seen Emergency Medicine (caps) and emergency medicine (no caps). which is it? or is it only caps if used like Emerg Med Physician??
i don't have my St. Martin's handbook with me on my rotation to check so i ask you guys to help me out here.
sorry for the bad post, but not as bad as a "how competitive is my 250?" question
and +pad+
thanks
streetdoc

I've seen it both ways, but the general accepted way is to capitalize: Emergency Medicine.

GeneralVeers said:
I've seen it both ways, but the general accepted way is to capitalize: Emergency Medicine.

The ABEM site consistently capitalizes "Emergency Medicine." However, I wouldn't capitalize the word "physician" if you type the phrase "Emergency Medicine physician." The word "doctor" should not be capitalized, either, unless it's used along with somebody's name (e.g., "Doctor Smith").

Members don't see this ad :)
KentW said:
The ABEM site consistently capitalizes "Emergency Medicine." However, I wouldn't capitalize the word "physician" if you type the phrase "Emergency Medicine physician." The word "doctor" should not be capitalized, either, unless it's used along with somebody's name (e.g., "Doctor Smith").

Why must emergency medicine be capitalized?

I don't see Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Nephrology capitalized. I don't know of an Internal Medicine physician, Cardiologist, or Pediatric Cardiology physician, nor do I know of a General Surgery or Trauma surgeon who writes it in such a way.

I would stick with emergency medicine and emergency medicine physician. There is no need for capitalization.

If you want to get all Strunk and White about it, my impression is that if you're talking about a specific department in a hospital, you would capitalize. If you're talking about the field in general, you would not.

e.g.,

"Hey, this patient needs to get down to Radiology. Could you transport her? And then stop by Ortho and pick up our traction pin tray."

vs.

"Ever since I was ten years old, I have known in my heart that I was meant for a career in cardiology."

Febrifuge said:
If you want to get all Strunk and White about it, my impression is that if you're talking about a specific department in a hospital, you would capitalize. If you're talking about the field in general, you would not.

e.g.,

"Hey, this patient needs to get down to Radiology. Could you transport her? And then stop by Ortho and pick up our traction pin tray."

vs.

"Ever since I was ten years old, I have known in my heart that I was meant for a career in cardiology."
I think Feb might have something here!

southerndoc said:
Why must emergency medicine be capitalized?

Well, personally, I don't capitalize specialty names when I type them. However, the ABEM site does. I honestly don't think it matters either way. Just don't capitalize "physician." ;)

I prefer it as PHYSICIAN.. all caps underscores your dominance

thanks for the great feedback!
I think the best thing is to be consistant- if i use cap then maybe i will look like i honor the field and since ABEM does it i should be ok...BUT now after thinking about it i believe feb is correct. only if a direct refrence.
who knows,
thanks
streetdoc

roja said:
I prefer it as PHYSICIAN.. all caps underscores your dominance

Oh, Roja, always being subtle. Nothing says dominance like dropping trou and directly and affirmatively asserting your (wo)manhood and daring anyone to challenge you.

Sorry, I just can't get than Panda Bear image out of my head.

Maybe therapy is in order.

Take care,
Jeff

Yo Jeff, what's been happening? Long time no talk!

I personally don't capitalize anything in my EMR notes because our program actually changes it if it's supposed to be capitalized. So everyone's name starts with a small letter and every sentence does as well!!

Jeff698 said:
Oh, Roja, always being subtle. Nothing says dominance like dropping trou and directly and affirmatively asserting your (wo)manhood and daring anyone to challenge you.

Sorry, I just can't get than Panda Bear image out of my head.

Maybe therapy is in order.

Take care,
Jeff