"Not certified"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PD1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the email below from ABIM:

"Dear Dr. XX
Congratulations for passing your Hematology and Medical Oncology Certification Exams in 2014!
With this important achievement, ABIM would like to remind you that your next step in your certification process is to confirm you are maintaining your new Hematology and Medical Oncology certifications. Please remember to log in and confirm by March 31, 2015, so your certificates remain valid and you are publicly reported as certified in Hematology and Medical Oncology. Your certifications will remain valid as long as you are participating in the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program.
Note: Most ABIM subspecialties do not require you to maintain your underlying Internal Medicine certification. Your MOC enrollment fee may be adjusted slightly depending on how many certifications you choose to maintain.
MOC provides a structured framework for continuous professional development and a recognizable way to communicate to your colleagues and patients that you are keeping up in your field. We welcome your input and the involvement of practicing physicians as we continue to make the MOC program more meaningful and reflective of practice. Please send us your thoughts and opinions.
If you do not log in and confirm your new certifications, you will be reported as “Not Certified” in Hematology and Medical Oncology.
Next steps:

Participate in MOC by earning points and CME credit.
Check your ABIM Status Report to review your requirements.
View the FAQ to learn about MOC program changes that took effect on February 3, 2015."

After so much talk about the recent ABIM policies changes, with questionable true interest in serving the physician's force (in lieu of their own pockets), I was considering to follow what a few bloggers suggested of NOT joining the MOC program.

Specially, since I was under the impression that once certified, I cannot be listed as “not certified” and rather "not participating in MOC program". Is that not true?

Members don't see this ad.