Not doing so hot in Biochem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior this year (majoring in biochem, go figure) and I'm in my 3rd quarter of biochemistry. I did pretty well first quarter. I got a 3.8.

Last quarter was a struggle for me. I never realized that the professor can actually make or break your grade. I had an awful professor, and it definitely showed on all my exams. I managed to score slightly above average and received a 3.1.

I just took my first midterm this quarter, and I didn't do too well... the professor is awesome, he's very good, but his exam was a little too easy. The average was an 85/100 (and the average is curved to a 3.0). I scored an 86.5, pretty much average. If it weren't for the curve, I wouldn't be too bummed out.

I still have 2 exams left (the 2nd midterm and final, both worth 100 points each) plus a few quizzes here and there.

How will this look to the adcoms? My work load is pretty much the same throughout all 3 quarters, although this quarter I have an extra class.
Or, have any of you received not-so-great marks (in upper division classes, esp) and still got in? I have a 3.71 cGPA and ~3.5 sGPA. I don't necessarily have an upward trend... it's been consistent through my 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

It is rare that you will go throughout all your classes without finding a professor that will pose some difficulty to you in terms of getting that sweet sweet A. But don't fret about it. Generally if you study to get an A, you will usually wind up with a grade no lower than a B+, not the the end of the world. Many have received lower grades and still managed to gain acceptance. Just keep studying and do what you are supposed too. You will run into at least 1 professor you do not like. Don't sweat it kid and good luck.

So your biochem teacher curves all of his test down because he is so easy?

Members don't see this ad :)
So your biochem teacher curves all of his test down because he is so easy?

This.
Never understood why there are some professors who punish students for doing well by curving down.

This.
Never understood why there are some professors who punish students for doing well by curving down.

Yeah... he hasn't mentioned anything about breaking the curve, so I'm assuming an 85 is a 3.0. :(

*sigh* I just hope that things will look up later. I've been stressing so much over this, afraid that it'll just drag down my grades.

Thanks, everyone. :)

If I got an 86 on my biochem tests, I would be in the 4.0 range... but this is because the averages were around 55, with a S.D. of around 15 lol.

I don't know why he would curve the class like that though; I would maybe expect a linear curve where top 5% was the new 100%, or something like that.

Keep your head down, and focus. Thats the best you can do as of now. Good luck!

If I got an 86 on my biochem tests, I would be in the 4.0 range... but this is because the averages were around 55, with a S.D. of around 15 lol.

I don't know why he would curve the class like that though; I would maybe expect a linear curve where top 5% was the new 100%, or something like that.

Keep your head down, and focus. Thats the best you can do as of now. Good luck!

(Bereno! :p I'm at the UW and I have Kimelman as my professor. xP We're switching to Palmiter within a few more lectures. Do you know these guys? Or did you take the short series?)

Last edited: