Not getting in this cycle, preparing for future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted714452

Hi guys, I'm currently applying to DO and MD but it's becoming clear that I'm not getting in this year.

NY Resident

Stats: cGPA- 3.2 MD, 3.25 DO
sGPA - 2.9 MD, 3.02 DO
MCAT- 30- unbalanced ( 8 P , 10 B , 12 V)

Extracurriculars:
Hospital Volunteering: 500+ Hours
Doctor Shadowing : 40+ Hours
Undergraduate Neuro-anatomy Research Assistant: 2,000 + Hours
English Tutoring- 40 Hours

So I'm getting ready for the next time I apply.

Here's my plan.

1) Get A s in my current upper bio courses
2) I've also applied to SMPs, so hopefully I'll get accepted into one. Then work my ass off in the SMP.
3) Prepare for and retake the MCAT next summer 2016.
4) Continue bio research at my school, hopefully transitioning to clinical research at the hospital I volunteer at
3) Continue my current hospital volunteering and shadow more doctors
4) Continue with my English tutoring and take up my college's offer to be a bio tutor in the spring 2016

My objectives are to show my continued research and volunteering but also increasing it in the time before the SMP, then acing the SMP and MCAT.

If all goes well, I'll reapply in Summer 2017 with a better application overall.

Any suggestions on what else to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be that clear that you aren't getting in, as it is only September. (Unless you received feedback from a rejection that you have some sort of red flag.)

If you want constructive advice you should provide your application stats (GPA, MCAT, residence, EC's, etc). The above tasks may be useful or completely misguided depending on the rest of your application.

Also, agreed that unless you got near unanimous rejections, notification of a red flag, or realized that you only submitted to Top 20 with average stats... It may be worth letting the season ride out more. Regardless of the MD side, many DO schools haven't even sent out any/many acceptances, let alone interviewed the majority of their potential students. Even in the MD world, it's not raining fire yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want constructive advice you should provide your application stats (GPA, MCAT, residence, EC's, etc). The above tasks may be useful or completely misguided depending on the rest of your application.

Also, agreed that unless you got near unanimous rejections, notification of a red flag, or realized that you only submitted to Top 20 with average stats... It may be worth letting the season ride out more. Regardless of the MD side, many DO schools haven't even sent out any/many acceptances, let alone interviewed the majority of their potential students. Even in the MD world, it's not raining fire yet.

Thanks I've updated the post with my stats and extracurriculars. And well some schools have told me that honestly my grades aren't good enough. So I'm pretty sure it's indicative I'll need to bring up grades first to stand a chance.

If I were you, I would probably expand my D.O. school list to some of the newer schools. Of course that's assuming you haven't applied to all of the D.O. schools.

Ace the SMP and MCAT and there are MD schools (and all DO ones) that reward reinvention.

Hi guys, I'm currently applying to DO and MD but it's becoming clear that I'm not getting in this year.

NY Resident

Stats: cGPA- 3.2 MD, 3.25 DO
sGPA - 2.9 MD, 3.02 DO
MCAT- 30- unbalanced ( 8 P , 10 B , 12 V)

Extracurriculars:
Hospital Volunteering: 500+ Hours
Doctor Shadowing : 40+ Hours
Undergraduate Neuro-anatomy Research Assistant: 2,000 + Hours
English Tutoring- 40 Hours

So I'm getting ready for the next time I apply.

Here's my plan.

1) Get A s in my current upper bio courses
2) I've also applied to SMPs, so hopefully I'll get accepted into one. Then work my ass off in the SMP.
3) Prepare for and retake the MCAT next summer 2016.
4) Continue bio research at my school, hopefully transitioning to clinical research at the hospital I volunteer at
3) Continue my current hospital volunteering and shadow more doctors
4) Continue with my English tutoring and take up my college's offer to be a bio tutor in the spring 2016

My objectives are to show my continued research and volunteering but also increasing it in the time before the SMP, then acing the SMP and MCAT.

If all goes well, I'll reapply in Summer 2017 with a better application overall.

Any suggestions on what else to improve?

Ace the SMP and MCAT and there are MD schools (and all DO ones) that reward reinvention.

Thanks Goro. Besides the SMP and MCAT, is there anything else I should address? Should I have more community enrichment activities or something else?

You have similar stats and identical ECs to me and I just got accepted to LMU two days ago.

Who knows what the future holds; but if you keep striving for your goal I'm sure you will get in somewhere! Good Luck!!

I think you look really good for DO @LastAlstroemeriaRemains ! I know it's been silence for you so far, but hang in there. I've always heard DO cycle is longer anyway, so we're early for them.

Thanks, too bad I'm not so optimistic. At this point I'm pretty much convinced the reason I haven't been rejected everywhere yet is because the schools just haven't reviewed my application yet.

Well, best of luck to you.:thumbup:

Apply broadly.

I did not get into med school the first or second time because I applied to a limited number of schools in my home state. Look at schools who accept a large out of state population and apply there.