Not getting interviews from "lower tier"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone also not getting many programs from "lower tier/ low midtier" programs, even if your Step is above their average? I'm wondering because my scores are not good enough for good schools, but it's above lower schools' scores, but still getting interviews has been tough, (even though people I know several w/ similar application, but lower scores, have gotten interview invites at those lower tier schools). Does anyone know why this might be the case? When I emailed the programs, I've gotten responses like "Sorry your application has been overlooked" or they didn't look at my application yet, even though I submitted earlier than many of my peers.. (could it be because i have a hard non english name??)

Members don't see this ad.

Programs may sometimes yield-protect to make sure they don't have unfilled spots. No point in inviting someone who they think they will rank them in the teens.

Programs also look for different things. Sometimes the best program in a state will invite you and the next 5 will reject you. Sometimes only the fourth best, sometimes all of them. The best way to play the game is to apply to a good, broad mix and not overestimate your competitiveness. If you really like a program you think is "lower tier" but hasn't invited you yet then you can email them or call, that has worked for many people in the past.

Anyone also not getting many programs from "lower tier/ low midtier" programs, even if your Step is above their average? I'm wondering because my scores are not good enough for good schools, but it's above lower schools' scores, but still getting interviews has been tough, (even though people I know several w/ similar application, but lower scores, have gotten interview invites at those lower tier schools). Does anyone know why this might be the case? When I emailed the programs, I've gotten responses like "Sorry your application has been overlooked" or they didn't look at my application yet, even though I submitted earlier than many of my peers.. (could it be because i have a hard non english name??)

The answer is simple -- you are focused on the Step scores as the sine qua non threshold, while THEY are looking for adequate step scores PLUS something different. Lots of applicants have adequate scores, so thats really just the first step in deciding if someone merits an interview slot. It's really all about good fit, and thus with the same stats ten people can each get interviewed by ten different schools and rejected by the other nine because each had something different in their application. So apply widely and broadly. Don't put your eggs in one basket.

Reactions: 1 user