Not interested in board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD101.9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a colleague that has done a combined residency in internal medicine and psychiatry. He refuses to get board certified. I am trying to convince him that this is something that he should eventually do. Anyone not planning on getting board certified? Just wondering.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I have a colleague that has done a combined residency in internal medicine and psychiatry. He refuses to get board certified. I am trying to convince him that this is something that he should eventually do. Anyone not planning on getting board certified? Just wondering.

Thank You

I wouldn't be as I don't plan on doing this too long(and even then whats the point of board certification?). However, many jobs require it after a period of time(like 3-5 years after completion of residency). If I weren't going to take one of these jobs and was just going to work on my own, I wouldn't bother....

If I have a bad outcome and get up on the stand, I would REALLY not want to try to explain why I practiced in my field for 10 or 15 years without board certification, as board certification is the industry standard qualification and the only mechanism for ensuring maintenance of some kind of clinical standards since residency. That would be a very uncomfortable conversation to have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even before that, some jobs won't even bother to consider you if you're not board certified.

Once you have it though, the MOC requirements and yearly fees are a scam.

Reactions: 1 user
I am bc and remain so as the job climate is always changing and I may want to work in a hospital or locums in the future.

To each his own...

I wonder why he wouldn't want to get board-certified. I certainly have issues with the way board-certification is handled but it's better to be that than not. Maybe he has some type of strategy and doesn't need it?

I wonder why he wouldn't want to get board-certified. I certainly have issues with the way board-certification is handled but it's better to be that than not. Maybe he has some type of strategy and doesn't need it?

I think it could be the cost or he didn't pass. I mean he doesn't "have" to get board certified in both specialties just psychiatry preferably.

It's probably worth it to certify initially. The bigger question is the worth after being in practice 10 years. MOC requirements have no evidence behind them, cost a lot, and take up too much time. I fully support the lawsuit against MOC requirements.

If you develop a cash only practice or end up working for an entity that doesn't care, keeping up your certification may provide no benefit except draining your bank account and time.

The lack of certification is unlikely to hurt in a lawsuit with a good attorney. Many many docs aren't certified. States don't require it and there is no evidence that certification makes you a better clinician.

If I have a bad outcome and get up on the stand, I would REALLY not want to try to explain why I practiced in my field for 10 or 15 years without board certification, as board certification is the industry standard qualification and the only mechanism for ensuring maintenance of some kind of clinical standards since residency. That would be a very uncomfortable conversation to have.

I'm not sure about that. To exaggerate a bit, that's sort of like saying, "If I have a bad outcome and get up on the stand, I would not want to explain why I treated back pain as a chiropractor rather than using the techniques of neurosurgery." Everyone rises to some level of accomplishment and not to some other level; it just varies as to which. And even if you're board certified, the plaintiff's lawyer can always point out that you did not go to Harvard.

I always thought it was "standard of care" that was looked at in malpractice cases. Standard of care refers to the care given by people with particular credentials; not to the credentials themselves. Now if you're not board certified and you screwed up, or if you are not board certified but you present yourself as being board certified, that's bad. But patients have choices. They can pay the money to see board certified experts, or they can see whoever practices in their area and has schedule openings and a low copay.