Not meeting requirements but wanting to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoon714

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
There is a job posting that one of the requirements is one year experience. As a new grad and unable to currently find a job, I want to apply but should i completely deter from it because I clearly lack that one year experience and that is a requirement. The position is FT staff. Any comments would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

being jobless means you have all the time in the world. might as well spend 5 minutes applying even if there's a less than 0.0001% chance of you getting the position

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a license in good standing, you're qualified. Apply for the job.

I applied for a supervising pharmacist position at a pediatric hospital two weeks ago. It said that they require a PGY1 and 3 years experience but I ended up getting called for an interview. Definitely gonna take it if I get this.

Definitely apply. Places always list "requirements", which in reality are "what they would really like". But what they would like, doesn't always match up to the applications they get, so they have to lower their requirements. The only hard & fast requirement is that you are a currently licensed pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Just apply, emphasize your rotation experience.

Reading your post, it is clear you lack confidence and possess a very trepidatious nature. That's, OK. You're newly licensed, with limited work experience and applying for a job in a very competitive job market.
I'll say what everyone is thinking, you have a snowballs chance in hell. That's, OK. Trust me, noting to worry about.
You need real life practice interviewing to build up your confidence and presence. Go full force forward with the interview process. Act like you are a true contender for the position. The only way to learn the skills you will need to land a job, will be earned through job interview practice. Use this and every chance you get to interview for a job. It takes time to learn the skills necessary to successfully land a job.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading your post, it is clear you lack confidence and possess a very trepidatious nature. That's, OK. You're newly licensed, with limited work experience and applying for a job in a very competitive job market.
I'll say what everyone is thinking, you have a snowballs chance in hell. That's, OK. Trust me, noting to worry about.
You need real life practice interviewing to build up your confidence and presence. Go full force forward with the interview process. Act like you are a true contender for the position. The only way to learn the skills you will need to land a job, will be earned through job interview practice. Use this and every chance you get to interview for a job. It takes time to learn the skills necessary to successfully land a job.
Good luck.

To be fair, they are only asking for one year of experience, not residency plus fellowship or something like that. So I would say the OP has more than a snowball's chance.

Go for it, OP!

To be fair, they are only asking for one year of experience, not residency plus fellowship or something like that. So I would say the OP has more than a snowball's chance.

Go for it, OP!

I got an offer as a new grad for a job listing residency or five years experience in managed care. . I turned it down cause it wasnt where I wanted to live, got another interview for a similar position in my new city.. so it is definitely doable.. imho, your cover letter and rotation experiences will help you overcome daunting "requirements".

Depends on the market. If there are plenty of candidates and you have no connections, you probably wont get far .. but like other posters said, "requirements" are often "ideals" ..