Not put a date on LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Is it ok to ask my LOR writers to NOT put a date on the LORs? Because if i plan to reapply in the future, i don't want to go back and ask them to update the LOR to current date...

Members don't see this ad.

Besides, if you dont get in the first time, would reviewing all your application submissions, including LOR?
???
i'm fairly sure that all my LORs are strong and can be reused, if that's what you're suggesting?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a student who didnt even bother getting updated letters, no matter how good they are, seems less than really motivated as a reapplicant.
not that i don't bother or am not motivated. i just really hate bothering people or asking for favors...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are working with a faculty letter writer, it is common practice for them to keep letters for this exact situation: not having to recreate an entire letter for you if it is needed later on. If you're dealing with an employer/extracurricular activity/etc., it's probably a good idea to ask them to keep it in case you need it for a future date. Needless to say, you need to have these letters dated. It would raise some flags if you didn't.

LOR's should be signed, dated and printed on letterhead.

Exactly. Failure to do so may delay your application and cause an easily-avoided headache for you.

not that i don't bother or am not motivated. i just really hate bothering people or asking for favors...

Get used to it. You will depend on "favors" even more when applying to residency.

Reactions: 1 user