Not so great first semester help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackberryman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so basically guys these are my first semester grades for my fresh yr at college at rutgers

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

Should I give up my hopes at dental achool I didn't get an a on any of my sciences fml.

Members don't see this ad.

hey so basically guys these are my first semester grades for my fresh yr at college at rutgers

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

Should I give up my hopes at dental school I didn't get an a on any of my sciences fml.

nope.. almost all of us have had low GPAs for our 1st yrs..
keep it up.. its just the beginning..

good luck

You're fine man! Relax a little bit. Although making high marks in your sciences is extremely important, a few B's is not going to keep you out of dental school. I can assure you that. Haha. Just keep doing your best and keep going at the books! I was just accepted into dental school this past week, and I have gotten a few B's on some of my sciences as well. So you definitely still can get in! Don't give up your dream over this one semester.

Members don't see this ad :)

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

Should I give up my hopes at dental school I didn't get an a on any of my sciences fml.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but no, don't give up? This is your freshman semester. Figure out why you didn't do as well as you would have liked, and fix it for next semester.

General advice. A good strategy for a high GPA includes working hard, but also being smart about your classes. Try to schedule 'filler' or 'easy' classes with 'hard' or 'time-consuming' classes. Study early, even if it's just making flash cards, so you don't hit crunch periods.

Talk to your professors about stuff outside of school, your concerns, their concerns, what they think about [issues related to their field], etc. etc. so you get your Letters of Recommendation stress out of the way early.

You have plenty of time to get your numbers up. It's just a question of whether you are willing to hack it.

i had a C+ in bio my freshman year!! Still got in! MY final gpa was 3.71/s3.69 tho:D

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

Should I give up my hopes at dental achool I didn't get an a on any of my sciences fml.
Here are my first semester grades.

Biology C+
Biology Lab B-
Chemistry B
Chemistry Lab A
Sociology C+
Latin A

Not too hot huh? YOU'LL BE FINE. What was really naive of me, is I didn't even care at the time. You seem to care. :thumbup:

hahaha this thread is hilarious...call us when you get your first C.

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

Dont sweat it too much, I got straight Bs my freshman year. I see that you are already worried which is a good thing, at the time I didnt even care. It will take time but you'll eventually find a more efficient way to study and you'll pick it up. You will have plenty of classes to improve your GPA. Good luck :)

haha, you make me laugh:laugh:
I got a 2.6 my first semester and still ended up with a 3.8 cGPA. Just work hard and pull your grades up. Nobody goes to college realizing exactly what to expect so lots of people dig a nice little hole that they need to climb out for the rest of their college career. Lots of adcoms are willing to look past first semester grades as long as thats the only semester that isnt up to par.

Yeah my first semester I got a 0.46 GPA.

Obviously I improved, and got accepted on December 1st.

Those grades aren't that bad.

Haha this thread is funny. Read my sig, those grades are all from my Freshman year. I got like 0.6 GPA overall that year and just got 2 acceptances so you'll be fine.

......I got 2 C's in two ochem courses, one C in english, one B- in biology, 2 B's in General Chem during my first and second year.

I studied harder my junior year.. but still my GPA was only about 3.5. and as you can tell my science GPA is not that great!

but i got accepted to dental schools. (i did pretty well on the DAT)

i don't know where you get the idea the you should give up =]

plus, if you really want it, why should you give up already!?

i dropped orgo and got a C in biology in my freshman semester.....graduated with a 3.88 and got two dental school offers for 2010....the key is persistency and consistency....you will never lose if you live by those words....you'll be fine :D

Man i hope you're joking. I mean seriously? "FML" cuz you didn't get an A. Obviously you care enough about dentistry to post on the SD forums. So i'm thinking you know enough to not infer that ONE semester of no A's does not constitute as reason to give up hopes on dental school. If that's your true mentality, don't bother with Dental School; you won't make it through it Don't be so melodramatic. Buck up, and work your ass off next semester and make sure you do well in Bio 2 and Chem 2. Go to office hours and get your **** explained if you don't understand something. Show them you care. Added benefit that they recognize your face and you'll get a better letter of recommendation when you need it.

Point being stop whining about a semester of "bad" grades and do something about it. It's only one semester. You have 7 more semesters to make up for those two B's.

P.S. stay away from those fat sandwiches. They'll kill you haha

my gpa sucks. I have some Ds and a lot of Cs. I did a post bac and got my gpa up. I got into 2 dental schools already. So just work harder and you should be ok. Get more As definitely.

i would just flat out give up... those few B's just show you are incapable of dentistry.

LOL!!!!!! You will achieve whatever you want... should you put your mind to it.

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

You still have a long way to go! Honestly those Bs are not that bad! Don't give up hope simply because you didn't get As! Just continue to work and study hard in the upcoming semesters and you'll be good!
The first year of undergrad is tough, since you're trying to find your footing at the university level...

All I have to say is LOL

hahaha this thread is hilarious...call us when you get your first C.

LMAO!!!!
Ya don't worry too much about your 1st semester of college. Just work hard and pick it up!!!! You can do it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was like you my first quarter. I got all A's, but I didnt take the same classes, so mine were a bit easier. Just read around on here, a lot of people have gotten in to dental schools with worse GPA's but high DAT scores.

Just read my thread, Peerless218 has a lot of insightful info...

A calculus
B expository writing
B chemistry
B+ biology

That seems good, especially at a difficult school. My science gpa was about 3.27 and I got in.