Not sure on PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxon2468

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read many post on this board about the importance of going to a good Psy D program that is Apa accredited to have the best possibles of internship match and job placement. I am in a sort tough spot right now. I love the school I am earning my master's from. The teachers are top notch, the classes are fun and challenging and I feel like I am gaining a great education. The problem is that they are a fairly new school with a Psy D program that is under review. While I can always apply next year, when maybe they have gotten closer to approval, I feel like I would be missing out. At the moment I am sort of weighing my options . My end goal is to have a private practice specializing in play therapy. I have looked into George Mason and George Washington in DC. I really want to get into a good program and stay close since to the area I am in now. Any advice would be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

My end goal is to have a private practice specializing in play therapy.

Some questions to ask yourself: Do you really need a Psy.D to do this? Do you have any interest in psychological research? If the answer to either of these is "no", you should probably just stick with the masters. Also, attending an unaccredited program would set you up at a disadvantage right from the start. If you are taking the time to pursue a doctorate, may as well take the time to do it right.