Not sure what route to take.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freeze829

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

First post so please bear with me if I make any mistakes.

So, in college I was pre-med/bio for thread year in college and completed 2 of 3 orgo lectures but no lab. So I've done calc, soc, psychology, bio, advanced bio, gen chem, part of physics and par of O'Chem.

I was volunteering at my schools hospital and doing honors level research in molecular genetics. Anyways, long story short I got too stressed out and decided I wanted to do an arts degree, specifically in theater. Because of the switch and semester change at my school I graduated in 5 years with a 3.48 cumulative GPA.

Now, in my science classes I got almost all A's, and a couple of B's.

Since graduating I have been working full time. A couple of recent experiences have renewed my interest and I no longer feel that I will be perusing medicine for the wrong reasons.

Anyways, my questions surround my options. As I see it I could complete my bio degree at my old school and apply to med school myself, or look for a post-bacc program. I'm not sure which would give me a better chance at getting into a medical school, plus it seems that I don't qualify for most post bacc programs as I have taken too much science already.

Any insight or advice you guys could offer would be fantastic.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys.

First post so please bear with me if I make any mistakes.

So, in college I was pre-med/bio for thread year in college and completed 2 of 3 orgo lectures but no lab. So I've done calc, soc, psychology, bio, advanced bio, gen chem, part of physics and par of O'Chem.

I was volunteering at my schools hospital and doing honors level research in molecular genetics. Anyways, long story short I got too stressed out and decided I wanted to do an arts degree, specifically in theater. Because of the switch and semester change at my school I graduated in 5 years with a 3.48 cumulative GPA.

Now, in my science classes I got almost all A's, and a couple of B's.

Since graduating I have been working full time. A couple of recent experiences have renewed my interest and I no longer feel that I will be perusing medicine for the wrong reasons.

Anyways, my questions surround my options. As I see it I could complete my bio degree at my old school and apply to med school myself, or look for a post-bacc program. I'm not sure which would give me a better chance at getting into a medical school, plus it seems that I don't qualify for most post bacc programs as I have taken too much science already.

Any insight or advice you guys could offer would be fantastic.
Finish up your classes at your undergrad, and maintain relationships there to get your LOR in order.

Then crush the MCAT and apply broadly.

You don't need a formal postbacc for that and any 4 year college will do. There are plenty out there that will let you take classes as a postbacc.
Follow rob's advice, fit in some ECs (volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience, etc) and you should be golden.